Biker's Cafe Chatroom

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
O yer I'm also trying to buy some Oxford X50s' that are up for sale but they haven't got back to me yet hope they're not messing. Anybody got the X50 Oxford panniers ? I thought they'd make a decent addition to my luggage capacity for my future trips. I already have a tank bag I've had kicking about for ages that I got super cheap in one of those magazine offers. Good make one an all I'll have to dig it out & have a proper look at it.

Man of Honour
That don't look to bad for a metal one then I saw the price. :eek:

For that money I could have a fella I know come round design & build a custom wooden one for that which would be Epic once he's finished Trust me. Surely you must know a jobbing carpenter/handyman type bloke that could do the same for you ?

Insurance companies will rarely count a wooden structure when it comes to a discount on your quote or my insurance would be a chunk cheaper!

Soldato
That don't look to bad for a metal one then I saw the price. :eek:

For that money I could have a fella I know come round design & build a custom wooden one for that which would be Epic once he's finished Trust me. Surely you must know a jobbing carpenter/handyman type bloke that could do the same for you ?

TBh it'll have paid for itself after a few years, and if I move and get a place with a garage I'm pretty sure I could sell it on for £5-600 at least. if I replace the CB400 with something newer that's £400-600 a year lower insurance prices for both bikes.

We live in a rented property so building a garage/permanent structure isn't an option either.

Wooden sheds aren't as secure, and although some places count it as garaged in a wooden shed I'd hope more would class one of these as a garage.

Have a look at these testing videos, if that was a wooden shed they'd have been inside in seconds.

One of these combined with an Almax 16mm chain and ground anchor should stop almost every thief, obviously if they turn up with a grinder they'll get in but that'll still take them a while.

If you think these are expensive, have a look at the secure-a-bike things, £1885 minimum for a single bike garage!!! :eek: http://www.secure-a-bike.com/prijslijst.html

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Obviously makes sense in your situation but it's a shame you have to spend so much & go to so much trouble to protect an item that's only worth a couple of thousand quid.

Edit.
I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all although it sounds like it when you read it back.

Soldato
Obviously makes sense in your situation but it's a shame you have to spend so much & go to so much trouble to protect an item that's only worth a couple of thousand quid.

Edit.
I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all although it sounds like it when you read it back.

Ahh, no - if I just had my CB400 I wouldn't bother, but the whole reason I'll get a garage is so it can house £5-6k's worth of italian beast :D Plus I fancy a KTM 990 adventure in a couple of years once I retire the CB400, so that would make £10k's worth minimum in the garage. :) It's as much abut security as not wanting to leave an italian bike outside all winter too, if I had nowhere for a garage i wouldn't buy an Italian bike TBH, you can't keep them outsdoors, it's just wring :D

Garaging will make no difference on the Cb400 insurance, I already pay less than £100 a year for that :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
df457420ca6091799f21e988ebac3cb9.jpg

:D

Soldato
The dude trying to enter the garage is laughable no one uses there hand to hit a jemmy bar when your breaking and entering you use a lump hammer.

Last edited:
Soldato
He uses a metal bar which you see him drop part way in. Also uses it in the last video.

I would think the tests they do on all products are a standard test with a set time limit (which is why he stops after a certain time).

The asgard stuff is rated to level 1 which is probably why he's using light tools. Level 2 and 3 they can be more gung-ho, but then look at the size of this door!!

Edit: here you go, level 1 allows 1 minute to get in and minimal tools: SR1: Opportunist attack by bodily force using minimal tools (e.g. screwdriver, knife, pliers, etc). Which is why he's not using a lump hammer.

Level 2 gives 3 minutes to get in and bigger tools: SR2: More determined opportunist attack with tools of a higher mechanical advantage (e.g. SR1 tools plus bolt cutters, claw hammer, drill, etc).

Granted, it would probably fail the level 2 test, but if someone comes armed with a drill they've probably also got a grinder they'll get in eventually.

http://www.remtech.com/pdf/lps-1175-security-ratings-explained.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
If they really want it just jack you in the morning when you're getting your gear ready. :p

I often think that when sat in traffic, how easily someone could throw me off my bike and ride off. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I've just got a basic metal shed. It's classed as a garage for insurance purposes and dies the job great. New house has a garage, can't wait to move in.

Man of Honour
Desnorkled the SV last night in a rare dry patch managed to take it out tonight inbetween the showers and :eek: the induction growl was always decent but it's now great. Less pops and bangs from the back but open and throttle and it now literally howls, I've decided it's new nickname is the screaming eagle.

IC3 do not do this if you want to keep hold of that licence it definitely encourages you to open it up :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I had a situation today, went a bit quicker because I was late for work, heard the sirens... I thought that's it bye bye license. They went flying past me, I wasn't going fast, maybe 8-9mph over?

I only use it as transport now, couple people tried to race me. But I didn't respond, I said no to every proposition of a rideout. Purely because I know what the average speed is at a ride like that, I still can't get over the fact that its 4 years for the points to clear. :(

Edit: Was it always like that? I mean the penalty points system or did it change at some point?

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a situation today, went a bit quicker because I was late for work, heard the sirens... I thought that's it bye bye license. They went flying past me, I wasn't going fast, maybe 8-9mph over?

I only use it as transport now, couple people tried to race me. But I didn't respond, I said no to every proposition of a rideout. Purely because I know what the average speed is at a ride like that, I still can't get over the fact that its 4 years for the points to clear. :(

Edit: Did you remove the snorkel completely or did you buy the one with higher airflow?

If I'm really honest, your too paranoid. Don't stop doing stuff you enjoy because of 3 points. If you want to open it up abit, stick to NSL roads, 30,40,50 stick to the speed limit. Just keep an eye out on mobile camera vans, and you can usually spot the undercover police by posh saloons. When I go past any car, I normally look to see is inside of it, same with crossroad traffic lights, check to see what's around you. Any cars that try and stay up with you, slow down because either they are cops or retards trying to keep up.

Soldato
Both the points limit for new drivers and the time that points stay on your licence have been around for a while.

If you were doing 8-9mph over in a NSL road they probably didn't give you a second look - if it's dry, clear and not much traffic around enjoying the roads on a NSL A or B road is fine, they tend to be a bit more lenient on those roads. But doing a ton anywhere, or speeding in a 30/40 zone will get you into trouble sooner or later.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Next time a pig tailgates me, I'll test my brakes. If I did emergency braking that night, he wouldn't stop in time. I would have probably ended up in hospital...

Associate
Next time a pig tailgates me, I'll test my brakes. If I did emergency braking that night, he wouldn't stop in time. I would have probably ended up in hospital...

That's probably not the wisest thing to do with a car seeing how quickly a bike will scrub off speed. I'd rather pull over and let them by than risk anything with a tonne and a half of car

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Sounds like the sensible choice, no chance of you speeding after that at least.
Haha :p

But think about it for a second, what if any of those 3 cars did pull out onto my lane and I had to brake hard? At night its harder to notice someone pulling out, in day its much easier to predict some dodgy behaviour.

Not to mention, the amount of rabbits lately around the area I've been pulled over. If it ran out in front of me, a natural reaction is to brake.

It sounds silly and funny, but if you think about it...

It's only the past 3 years of points that count towards totting up. The offence will still be on your licence during the 4th year but the points will no longer be active.
They make it really confusing, don't they... points count for 3 years, 4 years they stay on the license and 5 years to inform your insurance. But if the points clear within 4 years, how can the insurance company tell that you've had those points? Especially when you're going to a new insurance company? Some kind of database shared amongst the insurance companies or...?

Back
Top Bottom