• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
I hope so but equally I have doubts.

You will needed a bios which gets round Nvidia's voltage lock on the cpu and even then with the one card, the HOF, with that unlocked it still only managed 2.5Ghz on LN.

With the lottery and you have FE cards doing 2.2Ghz, esp under water so no throttling, then no matter how many power connectors or chokes on the Kingpin/lightning you have, I suspect you might be lucky to get 2.3Ghz, maybe 2.4Ghz if you are very very lucky. Already have i seen decent high end AIB cards with extra power and chokes getting lower max overclocks than some FE. It really just seems that all you are paying for is better cooling with this card.

so all that extra money for 5 to 8% gain in clock speed and in reality a 3 to 4% gain in performance is hardly "demolishing" an FE.

Here is an EVGA 1080 doing a lot more than 2.5Ghz.:)

4QGYPzR.jpg

Caporegime
There's not a big difference at all when it comes to stable clocks which is my point and what 99% of people want with their card. It's all well and good getting a high score in a 2 minute benchmark but it doesn't really mean anything for the majority of us. I like benching myself but it never really represents real world performance for me considering even those not under LN2 are running clocks in benchmarks that aren't 24/7 stable in games.

Man of Honour
OP
There's not a big difference at all when it comes to stable clocks which is my point and what 99% of people want with their card. It's all well and good getting a high score in a 2 minute benchmark but it doesn't really mean anything for the majority of us. I like benching myself but it never really represents real world performance for me considering even those not under LN2 are running clocks in benchmarks that aren't 24/7 stable in games.

The difference is a lot more than you make out.

I have not seen many 980 Ti's capable of 1570/2102 on stock volts and stock bios using air cooling. Inside a proper case too !!!

Caporegime
Kingpin and others had their place with 980ti on water or even air cooling. They were some of the fastest cards for 24/7 use.

I suspect this time that there is going to be very little difference between a kingpin and a lucky "good" normal reference card as to their max 24/7 performance.

Associate
Kingpin and others had their place with 980ti on water or even air cooling. They were some of the fastest cards for 24/7 use.

I suspect this time that there is going to be very little difference between a kingpin and a lucky "good" normal reference card as to their max 24/7 performance.

May I ask why? I'm unsure myself; given the much higher power limits in AIB cards, overclockability seems likely to depend on a card's cooling capability and the architecture's responsiveness to overvolting.

Last edited:
Soldato
May I ask why? I'm unsure myself; given the much higher power limits in AIB cards, overclockability seems likely to depend on a card's cooling capability and the architecture's responsiveness to overvolting.

Go watch OC3D and Jayztwocents on the aftermarket 1080's they've done so far and you'll see apart from the cooling the performance differences aren't really there compared to the FE's.

Caporegime

Because at the moment, there is in built protection built in on Pascal which limits voltage to 1.25v so doesnt matter if its FE or Kingpin or one single power conencor or 2 8 pin, the result is the same max volts.

That seems to vary slightly from chip to chip between 2050 and 2200 Mhz so a lottery.

Okay the kingpin are going to pre binned and at least might be gauranteed to 2150Mhz.

Normal AIB cards already have superior cooling and higher power limits and are cheaper than FE cards so I just cant see what and extra £100+ the Lightning and Kingpin are going to give.

Maybe if they have the volatge limit unlocked they might tweak 2.3Ghz or even 2.4Ghz. Problem is that once you go above 1.25v you need serious cooling and i doubt any air cooled system will be sufficient to run Kingpins at 2.4Ghz 24/7 so you will end up back down at 2.2Ghz which you might get lucky from buying a card which cost up to £200 less anyway and certainly a very good chance of getting 2.1Ghz.

So up to an extra £200 for 100Mhz or 4% gain and a small chance of a two minute 2.4Ghz for a benchmark top 10 position?

No thank you.

Associate
Because at the moment, there is in built protection built in on Pascal which limits voltage to 1.25v so doesnt matter if its FE or Kingpin or one single power conencor or 2 8 pin, the result is the same max volts.

That seems to vary slightly from chip to chip between 2050 and 2200 Mhz so a lottery.

Okay the kingpin are going to pre binned and at least might be gauranteed to 2150Mhz.

Normal AIB cards already have superior cooling and higher power limits and are cheaper than FE cards so I just cant see what and extra £100+ the Lightning and Kingpin are going to give.

Maybe if they have the volatge limit unlocked they might tweak 2.3Ghz or even 2.4Ghz. Problem is that once you go above 1.25v you need serious cooling and i doubt any air cooled system will be sufficient to run Kingpins at 2.4Ghz 24/7 so you will end up back down at 2.2Ghz which you might get lucky from buying a card which cost up to £200 less anyway and certainly a very good chance of getting 2.1Ghz.

So up to an extra £200 for 100Mhz or 4% gain and a small chance of a two minute 2.4Ghz for a benchmark top 10 position?

No thank you.

you sure about that? the classified looks like it has an EVBOT port :D

Associate
Add another one to the MSI Gaming X brigade (don't mock the loose gpu wires as I just pulled out my two 780's for testing new card before swapping to a new case so it's a real mess atm)

ywoQFR1.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
My GTX 1080 has arrived :D

Itz4kzV.jpg

dTQXWGr.jpg

Add another one to the MSI Gaming X brigade (don't mock the loose gpu wires as I just pulled out my two 780's for testing new card before swapping to a new case so it's a real mess atm)

ywoQFR1.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

EfCkkXi.jpg

Date 14/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming, Popov, Link
Date 14/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Devious, Link
Date 14/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Stelly, Link
Date 13/06/2016, Make Inno3D Founders Edition, CEUOTC, Link
Date 13/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming, JABenedicic, Link
Date 13/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming, Cochran, Link
Date 13/06/2016, Make MSI Gaming, JLyte, Link
Date 11/06/2016, Make Zotac Founders Edition, avatar12m, Link
Date 11/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, crinkleshoes, Link
Date 10/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, BriT, Link
Date 09/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, spiralz, Link
Date 09/06/2016, Make Gigabyte Founders Edition, WesleyBurns, Link
Date 08/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Gregster, Link
Date 08/06/2016, Make Zotac Founders Edition, Biffa, Link
Date 07/06/2016, Make Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Sasahara, Link
Date 06/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Boomstick777, Link
Date 06/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, tyler_jrb, Link
Date 05/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, danw872, Link
Date 04/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, easyrider, Link
Date 04/06/2016, Make Inno3D HerculeZ X2, LewisRaz, Link
Date 03/06/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, DAIR, Link
Date 03/06/2016, Make Palit Founders Edition, Spikey, Link
Date 02/06/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, Radox-0, Link
Date 31/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, toon_mad, Link
Date 31/05/2016, Make Zotac Founders Edition, ToastedChip, Link
Date 29/05/2016, Make Gigabyte Founders Edition, kitkat9933, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, X-Mikuru_Beam-X, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make Gigabyte Founders Edition, dvs8, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, passey89, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make MSI Founders Edition, Biomorphs, Link
Date 28/05/2016, Make EVGA Founders Edition, RichardH754, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your GTX 1080.​

Soldato

No thank you.

Nvidia has done away with ASIC on pascal. There will be kingpin cards capable of X mhz, but there wont be any ASIC value ones.

They are all voltage hard locked to 1.25v and even at this voltage not much difference over reference unless its under LN2 as shown with the strix card.

Put it this way FE cards are limited to about 1.08v and still able to hit similar/better clocks than custom bios cards so far.

It will likely be down to chip quality more than anything else. At least that is what is shown so far.

Last edited:
Associate
I made an order for 2x EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 cards at a local Scandinavian webshop the 27th of May. Today an employee of the sales departement called me and told me, that unfortunately they had oversold the quantity of the total pre-ordered cards, so that model wouldn't be in stock till very late in July at best :(
However, he told me, if I was willing to get 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Super Clocked ACX 3.0 cards instead, he would upgrade my order to those cards for free and get them shipped to me today !. I told him sure that was fine with me, I'd love to get those :D So now I'm getting the Super Clocked versions to the same price as the regular ACX 3.0 - that's just awesome :D The cards will arrive just in time for the weekend!

Permabanned
The bug has been biting me all day long. I duno how long i can keep my 980 off Ebay :s

The overclocking looks rubbish what model do people think for £550? Sort of waiting for a free game too.

Back
Top Bottom