Recommend a washer dryer?

Associate
Not the manliest of threads but washing machine and dryer are starting to give up the ghost, to the point I've having to dismantle the dryer once a month to clean pipes.
Looking at replacing the separate machines with a single washer dryer as I'd like to reclaim some space in our kitchen. Any recommendations? Ideally towards the cheaper end of the spectrum also anything to look out for in particular? Also do all washer dryers empty waste water from drying into the outlet these days or is it a case of some do, some don't? Same with washing fluff out automatically or can you still get some with a filter to reduce clogging?

Associate
I have a Samsung ecobubble washer dryer.

It's really good, doesn't clog very often and has a filter in the usual place.

I got mine from AO.com, they are good and give good quidco cash back as well.

The only problem is the clothes are locked in the drum for the whole drying cycle and even if you stop it the fan runs with a hot caption for a while until it senses it's cool enough to be opened.

Soldato
Recently bought one of these. Very quiet, does big loads. It's not cheap, but I think buying cheap will give you more grief than getting something with a bit more quality. It empties the condensed water out the same drain pipe, and has a three temperature drum/fluff cleaning program.

Soldato
washer dryers just aren't as good as separate appliances. Avoid if you can.

I've wondered about this - heard a few people say it now but just as many have no issues.

I've never used a combi washer dryer myself - only separates - so have no idea whether it's just based on people using older appliances and then moving to new ones etc.

Soldato
A washer/dryer is a compromise. I've used them for years for space reasons, but they are more complicated, expensive devices. You can't wash and dry clothes at the same time (obviously), separate dryers tend to have bigger drums and dry better/faster with less hassle. If you do a lot of washes at once, then you can have the dryer and washer going at the same time and get things done faster.

However, if you live in a small place and just don't have the space for two separate devices, then a washer/dryer is a fantastic thing that means you can get your laundry clean and dry with one device, no matter the weather or not having a lot of room. No damp clothes on a clothes horse in the house for hours on end, making your house damp.

Back
Top Bottom