Sky Q + Broadband

Associate
OP
everyone who is slightly tech savvy should know that virgin cant be touched on broadband speeds. its a big risk to leave them and your seeing just how bad the difference is. if i were you i would cancel and go back to virgin

But the Tivo isn't a patch on Sky Q! Plus I couldnt stand their customer service. Had a really bad experience with them.

You only need fibre if you're an online gamer and need good pings. I've never had a problem with normal broadband.

It's all just marketing hype to get your money.

Thats not true. Try Sky Q on a 2mb line!

IF i lived in a virgin area I would get virgin for internet only and sky for my tv. Make most of living in a virgin area and go back for their internet!

Thats what i'm thinking of doing mate.

Have a look at http://dslchecker.bt.com and you'll need to use the address option at the bottom using your house number and postcode. Post the details up, minus your details.

Thanks for your help Misschief. I'm presuming these results are telling me I cant get anything above 2mb? If thats the case why has the website told me I can!? I think thats a bit naughty if it turns out to be the case! Ive put off Sky TV for ages because they could never offer me anything above 2mb broadband, as I knew that wouldn't be enough for my families everyday needs.

Soldato
You only need fibre if you're an online gamer and need good pings. I've never had a problem with normal broadband.

So the difference between a 2mb telephone line and 300Mb HFC line is marketing hype as opposed to a measurable 298Mb bandwidth difference?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you really like the Sky Q box you could probably take out a virgin internet only deal (no phone line) and still be better off than your old monthly outgoings.

Not the best deal but the standard Sky TV user interface is miles ahead of the Virgin Tivo, Sky Q even more so. Alternatively cancel in the cooling off period and sign up as new a customer to Virgin in your partners name.

Associate
Thanks for your help Misschief. I'm presuming these results are telling me I cant get anything above 2mb? If thats the case why has the website told me I can!? I think thats a bit naughty if it turns out to be the case! Ive put off Sky TV for ages because they could never offer me anything above 2mb broadband, as I knew that wouldn't be enough for my families everyday needs.

Unless i am looking at another picture you can get fibre??

VDSL is Fibre (technical name)

Caporegime
What exactly are this family doing? Watching BBC iPlayer in HD (not some dodgy quality Kodi stream) uses around 3-8Mbps.

I'd agree with him, with all my devices in my house even my BT Fibre connection at 75Mbps can struggle sometimes.

In my house we have:

2 x iPads
3 x iPhones
2 x Xbox One
1 x PS4
1 x laptop
1 x PC
2 x Sky + HD boxes

If the kids are on the iPads at the same time as well as doing facetime on the iPhone with his friend and playing Fifa online whilst I am trying to browse the net on my phone, or downloading a film on Sky or playing online as well then things can start to get wonky.

Soldato
I think some family dynamics differ from others regarding Internet usage but I for one would find anything below 50meg not really suitable for a family of 4 or 5 all hitting the net at the same time. Obviously depends on what you can get I guess at the end of the day.

Soldato
I'd agree with him, with all my devices in my house even my BT Fibre connection at 75Mbps can struggle sometimes.

In my house we have:

2 x iPads
3 x iPhones
2 x Xbox One
1 x PS4
1 x laptop
1 x PC
2 x Sky + HD boxes

If the kids are on the iPads at the same time as well as doing facetime on the iPhone with his friend and playing Fifa online whilst I am trying to browse the net on my phone, or downloading a film on Sky or playing online as well then things can start to get wonky.

Things like this is why QoS is worth setting up.

Soldato

So when I buy my next FIFA, Call of Duty, AOS, MGS V online or any other game thats 20gb+ download my fibre isnt worth it and just marketing hype ?

Its fine if you are happy with normal broadband but 1000's aren't and need a faster connection.

Associate
Fibre will show as available or not, even though you're in a fibre enabled area.
check HERE, it will probably say cabinet has no spare connections, check it every day, soon as its says accepting orders get straight on to Sky to upgrade.
Currently on 1.5Mb ASDL upgrade is due to go live Monday

EDIT just rechecked my postcode and address, now showing
Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now. This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update.

What they mean by increasing capacity is you're really waiting for someone to leave, there's no queuing system first come first served.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fibre will show as available or not, even though you're in a fibre enabled area.
check HERE, it will probably say cabinet has no spare connections, check it every day, soon as its says accepting orders get straight on to Sky to upgrade.
Currently on 1.5Mb ASDL upgrade is due to go live Monday

EDIT just rechecked my postcode and address, now showing
Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now. This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update.

What they mean by increasing capacity is you're really waiting for someone to leave, there's no queuing system first come first served.

Thanks for this. I'm getting this response:
Great news, you can order a fibre service. Please get in touch with your service provider.

Associate
OP
Hmmm.I Gave them another call and now miraculously I am in a fibre area! but I now don't class as a 'new customer' so wouldn't be eligible for the broadband offer that's online. After keeping my calm, and threatening to cancel everything, they have honoured the offer. Not the best customer experience I have ever had.
Thanks for your help gents.

Soldato
Hi MissChief
It was your New customer Sky friends and family deal I took advantage of.

I did the same but stuck with VM for phone & broadband as I'm not losing my 200mb.

LOL what total *******. There are plenty of people who are a long way from their exchange who struggle to get above 1mb with standard ADSL.

Back
Top Bottom