2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
So after a couple of weeks, a change of pot from terracotta to plastic and some new compost the Carolina Reaper at work has shot up in size and the leaf colour has gone back to a nice green.

reaper_17_06_16.jpg

Soldato
Any reason in the change from terracotta to plastic pots? Have both of mine in large terracotta pots and they seem to be doing well. They've been in doors though in the patio door way for the past week or so as the weather has been all over the place and if i'd have left them out they would have been decimated by some of the rains we've been having!

Associate

Shot of the greenhouse, everything has buds but no flowers yet, sweets on the left hots on the right as follows:

2 x paradise
2 x boneta
2 x california wonder
Chocolate bhut jolokia (black pot)
Lemon drop
Trinidad moruga scorpion
Penis pepper
Birdseye
Red bhut jolokia
Carolina reaper

Soldato
Lost another chilli plant - seems there's a bit of bacterial wilt. Other are doing well..

Two massive chilli peppers now :D as long as a 1664 bottle :D

This year I think I kept them inside too much and the lack of wind has caused issues with damp soil..

Soldato
Whats the best way of knowing how much to water your chilli plants or better yet is anyone able to give me a rough indication of how often I should be watering my chilli's and how much? They are currently still inside in the patio doorway so get an alright amount of sun.

I've been giving them each about 500ml of water (with a bit of feed) once a week via the bottom as opposed the top and it seems to be sucking it all in easy enough. Struggling to find anything online which gives me a guide to how often they should be watered - don't want to under or over water!

Relunctant to leave them outside as the weather has dropped again now at night and we've had all manner of torrential rains etc. When I know the weather has been fine and hot though I've been leaving them outside.

Any help from the chilli pro's appreciated!

Soldato
I normally use a bottom up bucket dunk each week but given the cold and moving them indoors, the watering from the top + lack of wind has prevented the drying out as quick as they normally do, hence the problems.
If they look down and you've not fed them in a while then it's likely they need some water.. but with larger pots - once a week or even longer.. all depends on species, temps/wind and soil make up.

Associate
Any reason in the change from terracotta to plastic pots?

I'm in a somewhat lucky position in that I work in the same building as the gardeners and environmentalist teams from the local council.

They came in to see me about an unrelated issue and mentioned that leaving them in terracotta posts over the weekend when it was hot could result in the soil becoming baked and compacted making it harder for the roots to suck up moisture compared to the plastic pots.

They also recommended I upped the watering too, so I now give 2x 500ml of water, one on Friday before I go away for the weekend, and another on Tuesday.

Associate
My first chilli is starting to emerge. :D

The golden cayenne plants seem to be bursting into flower this week.

A few of the others have plenty of buds showing, but no flowers as yet.

Soldato
My first mini-harvest of some Prairie Fire.
This little handful probably doesn't even represent a quarter of what's already ripened, never mind the total that's growing.

imlzbs.jpg

Will be back to post more of different varieties as and when I harvest them :D

Last edited:
Associate
20160627_122523.jpg

Work chilli (Carolina Reaper) seems to be going from strength to strength.
Has grown about 2 inches in the last 10 days and there are now 6-7 flowers starting to appear so hopefully will get a nice harvest from it!

Soldato
Yeah, chillies that have been left on the plant too long just get 'squishy' instead of being firm, and eventually they'll just plain ole rot off, but they don't 'drop' as such.

Also a small collection of my Apache F1 Hybrids that have been ripening :)

2w6iibq.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
IMG_20160708_WA0001.jpg

Carolina reaper at work is going from strength to strength.
A couple of weeks ago it was just at the top of the supporting stake and now it has almost doubled in size and is laden with flowers.
Fingers crossed for a good harvest!!

Soldato
First of the hot chillies has fruited..

Meanwhile the other plants are fruiting well .. even starting to get some ripe :D

Back
Top Bottom