Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
Think I have it looking great now.

I can honestly play around with it for hours but at some point I just have to stop worrying about getting it just a little more perfect and enjoy the monitor. It's perfectly fine now.

Impressions then.

The blacks really REALLY are black. Almost insanely so. And for some reason, the reds stand out very much too.

Zero BLB which has always been my main gripe. Zero dead pixels. Had some color banding but that can be managed via color settings and minimized to the point of it being non existent. Although every game is different. If you go looking for faults you'll find them. I've done some testing on Doom, Fallout 4 and Hitman. All looking great. Also had a small go on COD Ghosts that looked rubbish for some reason. Washed out with brown tones all over the screen. Although that might just be the game. Check a few videos on YouTube and it seems to be the case there too.

The 21.9 is really immersive. I'm not one to follow the crowd and justify their expensive purchases, but on this occasion I think people are quite correct in what they say about immersion. It feels like you're closer to the game somehow. Sold both my IPS and TN 27' panels so couldn't hook it back up to compare, but I doubt I'll go back to a normal 16.9 now.

One thing I do have to admit, coming from years and years at 1080p, going to 1440p isn't the WOW difference I thought it would be. In fact, it really does look very much the same to me. At some places the image looks more crisp and clear, but I could be trying to convince myself of that too.

Overall I'm very pleased and given the great deal I got on this monitor, no regrets whatsoever.

Highly recommended.

Associate
Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking to purchase this monitor soon to replace an old Samsung 2233.

What GPU's are people running when playing games, I've currently got one of the ASUS GTX980 OC Strix cards which I recently purchased and I was wondering how it would perform on the monitor when playing The Division, Witcher 3 etc as I noticed the card has been discontinued now and after spending on that card I don't want to have to spend more for either a 980Ti or the 1080 cards.

Any info would be appreciated.

Associate
Have spent a lot of time now messing around with the settings.

Best results I have is using the Nvidia Control Panel settings. Just seems to bring through the colors a lot better than the OSD settings or any profile I use.

Had heaps of banding until I started playing around with those and it all disappeared pretty much instantly.

I have:

Brightness: 27%
Contrast: 75%
Gamma: +0.92

any other settings to try?

Use lagom.nl for gamma, contrast, white/black lvl.

Just bump vibrance a few %.

Associate
Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking to purchase this monitor soon to replace an old Samsung 2233.

What GPU's are people running when playing games, I've currently got one of the ASUS GTX980 OC Strix cards which I recently purchased and I was wondering how it would perform on the monitor when playing The Division, Witcher 3 etc as I noticed the card has been discontinued now and after spending on that card I don't want to have to spend more for either a 980Ti or the 1080 cards.

I'm currently running a manually overclocked 980 and find that I do get some slow down on the highest graphic levels in Fallout 4 and Witcher 3. This is purely subjective and I don't have any actual frames. In order to stop screen tearing, I'm running with v-sync on which probably doesn't help the feeling of slowdown. Have ordered a Gigabyte G1 1080 as the 980 can't do 60 fps with all bells and whistles on at this resolution.

Soldato

Also running a 980GTX. heavily overclocked. Resolution - 3440 x 1440 on all.

Witcher 3 I get around 30-34 FPS on ultra settings (HW on). Very High settings (HW off) around low 40s. Not ideal but after a while I don't even notice it. Looks fantastic and plays fine.

Doom 4 I now get a solid 55-60FPS (mostly around 60) on Ultra.

Don't have The Division so can't help you there.

It really depends on what's acceptable to you. I'm not one to go into complete meltdown if my frames drop below 200 or something. Most games are going to run from the 40-60 range max settings. Not tested ROTTR but I can imagine that'll hurt. Been playing AC: Black Flag and up until last night, it struggled in the 40s FPS. Reinstalled graphics drivers and now get a rock solid 60 FPS on ultra wide.

Associate
I have one of these, had for about 15months or so.

I am getting sharp interference at the moment.
As if there has been a lightning strike nearby.

The entire screen go's off and the speakers pop.
All happens in a few 10ths of a second
Any advice where to start troubleshooting?

Soldato
Finally got my 1080 yesterday and it's perfect now with this screen. Gaming is just a pure joy right now. Witcher 3 on Ultra at full resolution is a sight to behold.

Associate
Anyone running this on a Mac mini?

Cant seem to get sound from display port for some reason today?!

EDIT: Nevermind flicked the audio switches about working now!

Back
Top Bottom