Change black aluminium case to silver...?

Soldato
The black aluminium that Lian Li use in their cases... is it possible to make this silver either via a chemical process (that I'd have to get a third party to do) or rubbing down? The outside panels that is, not the inside. I have an old one I'd like to change to silver but I want to maintain that metal look, so painting isn't really an option. Is this possible?

Soldato
I've had it done on a anodised sound card. It was black and I think they acid dipped it then anodised it blue. I guy at chilled pcs had it done for me. Not sure if he's still going.

Soldato
They are black anodised so glass/sand blasting wont work they will need to be stripped in a chemical process or rubbed down as mentioned above.

Anodise is normally only a couple of thou deep so get a rubbing!

Trying to read between the lines , what you mean by "that metal look", I'd imagine you mean the sort of extruded lines you can see in the finish, that would be hard to replicate but rubbing it down all one direction and then getting it anodised in silver would give you that matt look.

Soldato
You could use a drain cleaner with sodium hydroxide in (DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!)
This with strip the anodised coating without scrubing or sanding (DON'T scrub and flick sodium hydroxide everywhere - chemical burn holes in your floor/walls/furnature will get you in serious trouble with GF's and Parents)

You would usually dip - but it could be surface apply CAREFULLY.
Clean with LOTS of water (5l of distilled, then tap water straight down the drain)
Note this and/or sanding will remove metal from the panel making it thiner and lighter

BUT the anodising is there to protect the bare aluminum from corrosion.
You'll need to coat the surface again, or it will shed gray power (aluminum oxide) every time it get touched (monthly in polish or paint or electrophoretic lacquer)

Why not just buy another panel or secondhand case to salvage parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not partial to messing around with strong chemicals, and I'm actually giving consideration to wrapping with 3M Di-Noc... you can get some very realistic finishes.

Back
Top Bottom