Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Define less educated ? surely the true definition of well educated is just a test of memorizing specific things then remembering those things to give answers to on a bit of paper.

If that's what you think is education, then it's no wonder you are where you are!

Soldato
I've told her to go to HR and complain about racial abuse.
I'm just gobsmacked that an extremely highly qualified professional person can be abused like that in the UK.

Make me embarrassed to be British.

No matter what way your politics lean, there's absolutely no need for that. I'm really worried that this is just the start of anti-Johnny-Foreigner sentiment.

It's disgusting. She lives here, she's one of us.

The whole point of this is to look after our own. You live here? You are our own.

A lot of the Leave voters were not racially motivated. I know Muslim Leave voters for example.

Soldato
But equally she was born there. We have this amazing thing where we can go anywhere in Europe to live and work. It's a beautiful country, low house prices etc. I would have thought you'd jump at the chance?

It is actually a beautiful country. Especially southern Poland. Had it in the back of my mind to try living there for a few months. I better get in quick!!

C64

C64

Soldato
The only benefit I can see of the eu is to allow mass movement of labor to employers.They don't care they'd jump ship to wherever makes them the most profit which is fair enough but it's at the cost of workers and families.

Mass movements of workers from country to country isn't good for anyone apart from big business.

Your average eu migrant I am sure would rather be at home than having to work abroad and leave their families.

We must say no to it and say if you want trained staff then train them if you want cheaper workers then setup a business in a country where you can get cheaper workers.

I mean what happened to business's training their own staff ? no need right because the skilled workers you need can come to you ready made.

I saw it myself at the last place I worked they started importing even forklift drivers as they couldn't be bothered paying to train staff they already had.

All the EU does is increase the profit margins and monopolize and stifle competition with protectionism.

Last edited:
Soldato
That begs the question that if you have so little faith in your country do to the right thing by you, why are you even here? If you think the EU legislation so important to 'protect' you from your own country, and have so little faith in and loyalty to the UK, then move.

Because I don't want to leave all my friends and family, start a new job, learn a new language etc?

Before the EU brought in the law over 2 million people worked full time with zero paid leave in the UK, we have no precedence of providing workers rights off our own backs.

Don
But equally she was born there. We have this amazing thing where we can go anywhere in Europe to live and work. It's a beautiful country, low house prices etc. I would have thought you'd jump at the chance?

I don't speak the language well enough to be useful in my line of work. Also, there's the matter of my father who would be completely alone with no support network if we left.
We have discussed it many times but the situation has never been right for us.
Maybe it will be in the future. We shall see.

Soldato
Sad thing is, the educated, more well-off demographic that voted fairly convincingly to remain are also best placed to navigate the difficulties and take advantage of any new opportunities that Brexit presents, whereas the generally less-educated and poorer leave demographic are going to face the brunt of the economic impact and have far less opportunity and tools to help them navigate it. No doubt however the scapegoat will be transferred to whatever is most convenient - probably whatever unfortunate incumbent government that negotiates and agrees the terms of exit will be accused of "selling the country short" or "not being tough enough" in negotiations.

Caporegime
That begs the question that if you have so little faith in your country do to the right thing by you, why are you even here? If you think the EU legislation so important to 'protect' you from your own country, and have so little faith in and loyalty to the UK, then move.

This rhetoric is kind of worrying to be honest. We've just had a referendum where at least part of it was fought on the idea of making a democratic choice and accountability to the electorate. But here you are suggesting that if someone doesn't agree with the way something could be headed then not only do they have no faith in the country, they should also leave.

Soldato
I reckon in 5-10 years we will look back at see this as another example of Britain saving Europe from itself. Again.

Actually i pondered this as well.
Now europe might sit up and look at themselves, change a few bits and pie es without us.
No matter what happens to us, i think if they play it right, they could be much better off themselves.

Soldato
The only benefit I can see of the eu is to allow mass movement of labor to employers.They don't care they'd jump ship to wherever makes them the most profit which is fair enough but it's at the cost of workers and families.

Mass movements of workers from country to country isn't good for anyone apart from big business.

Your average eu migrant I am sure would rather be at home than having to work abroad and leave their families.

If only the EU had ever done something useful. Like ensuring holiday pay is based on your actual earnings including commission and not just basic pay.

Soldato
This rhetoric is kind of worrying to be honest. We've just had a referendum where at least part of it was fought on the idea of making a democratic choice and accountability to the electorate. But here you are suggesting that if someone doesn't agree with the way something could be headed then not only do they have no faith in the country, they should also leave.

It's ironic isn't it? They vote out at least in part to stop people coming here, I disagree and get told to go... to another country?

I thought people doing that was the bloody problem? :p

Soldato
I've told her to go to HR and complain about racial abuse.
I'm just gobsmacked that an extremely highly qualified professional person can be abused like that in the UK.

Make me embarrassed to be British.

No matter what way your politics lean, there's absolutely no need for that. I'm really worried that this is just the start of anti-Johnny-Foreigner sentiment.
Absolutely disgusting behaviour, please reassure her, I'm sure many and I for one do not feel that way.

Man of Honour
Define less educated ? surely the true definition of well educated is just a test of memorizing specific things then remembering those things to give answers to on a bit of paper.

You sound like a sneering at the world, everyone else's problem, people better off than you are lucky, glass half empty sort of guy. Your posts on this thread have done you no favours and anger at all those who are better off than you is why you are not one of them. You create no sympathy for anything or from anyone because all you seemingly do is find ill thought out reasons for why people are middle class or better off than you and reasons for why, due to your own education level are unable to succeed. I say again, there are many just like you far better off. Why is that?

Caporegime
I don't speak the language well enough to be useful in my line of work. Also, there's the matter of my father who would be completely alone with no support network if we left.
We have discussed it many times but the situation has never been right for us.
Maybe it will be in the future. We shall see.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense. What support network does she have? They learn English, we don't learn polish. They can get very well paid jobs here, we can't there.

That's why freedom of movement does not work for us. We are a magnet for Europeans. We have higher levels of wealth, they all learn English. There is no balance of movement.

Soldato
BOBG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom