Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Actually, whatever happens next, I'd like to see a judicial review of both campaigns. It's clear that lies, fear and misinformation abounded. Many of us were clear on that even before we went to vote. Anyone found to have been deliberately misleading voters should be held to account.

Like the fear-mongering of the remain campaign? World war three? The CBI and big businesses saying the country would crash and burn once the 'Leave' vote was announced, then backtracked and said things would carry on as normal? etc.

Caporegime
But compared to the EU, we still have the power to remove Westminster compared to some unaccountable foreign behemoth.

Unaccountable as in the MEP elections we have regularly?

The EU is not for the people, it is for those at the top. The problem is that many of the remain people, especially the younger ones, don't see the negatives since they have been living in more affluent areas. They also don't care beyond them gaining the full benefits of being in, even if the negatives are destroying other parts of the country and economy.

What do you think is going to happen to these poor areas with their EU funding pulled?

Man of Honour
OP
Like the fear-mongering of the remain campaign? World war three? The CBI and big businesses saying the country would crash and burn once the 'Leave' vote was announced, then backtracked and said things would carry on as normal? etc.

Erm, yes. Did you gloss over the fact that I said both sides?

Soldato
I must saying I'm quite enjoying seeing all those Labour MPs who were as smug as **** during the campaign when they were claiming the referendum was tearing the Tories apart now all mounting a coup against their leader.

Caporegime

You've skipped over reading some words in your rush to have a go at someone who voted Remain.

Caporegime
The referendum was a complete balls up and a guaranteed short term mistake but the EU was eventually going to come to this in my opinion. We protected our pound out of fear. The EU parliamentary members have always hated that. Can anyone honestly say that we could change the EU from the inside? Are we certain that it guaranteed 40 years of stability and growth?

I agree and said this myself earlier in the thread.

We were never fully signed up card carrying members. We were always reluctant members, looking for opt-outs and generally throwing a spanner in the works.

It's no secret that many other EU members were openly hostile to us during DC's disastrous "negotiations", where he got precisely nothing that he really wanted.

I wonder if the remain campaign might not have done better without his "negotiations". All that did is cemented in many people's minds how different we were from EU "proper", and how reluctant we were to subscribe to the core tenant of closer union. How we were starting to struggle badly to promote Britain's interests, even from *within* the EU.

DC really played this whole thing very poorly.

Associate
Actually, whatever happens next, I'd like to see a judicial review of both campaigns. It's clear that lies, fear and misinformation abounded. Many of us were clear on that even before we went to vote. Anyone found to have been deliberately misleading voters should be held to account.

Politicians being held accountable for their actions?

Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing that.

Soldato
You're assuming they were on the Remain side for anything other than selfish business-related reasons. If it makes business sense to relocate then why wouldn't they? No business is going to deliberately damage their economic prospects just to make a point to people that don't trust them anyway.
I'm very much a lefty but I also run a business. The free movement of people is something I fundamentally agree with - based on the principle that the people coming here are compatible with our way of life and 'do what the Romans do'. The EU is mostly made up of those type of people and that's the kind of immigration I want and businesses like mine need.

London generally is very pro-EU because we see a lot of the benefits. It baffles me that places like Cornwall and Wales voted against their own interests because I'm sure as hell that Westminster neither has the purse nor inclination to give them what the EU does.

Soldato
But compared to the EU, we still have the power to remove Westminster compared to some unaccountable foreign behemoth.

Until the royal family and the unelected house of lords don't exist your point is incorrect, politicians of the day can and will do huge damage to the country when they get to decide on workers rights unchecked and allow huge corporations to do what they like, you seem to have blindly voted for the thing you think you voted against

Caporegime
Current rumours have Liam Fox putting himself forward to lead the Tories. Anybody who presses the button on Article 50 is going to be the fall guy for whatever happens so I assume he knows that and doesn't care/is being rewarded appropriately.

Soldato
I find the sombre mood among the Leave camp to be particularly alarming, if they thought they had no chance of winning, or had no idea what to do if they actually won - why were they campaigning in the first place?

Bizarre.

I think this is going to end up being overturned, one way or another. It doesn't look like anyone wants our withdrawal to move forward, or has the bottle to actually proceed with it...

The Referendum has no legal validity, it is only advisory. Parliament is the only place with the legal right to do anything. They could take a vote in Parliament next week and say thanks for your opinion but no thanks. It will cause mayhem but they can do it.

Caporegime
London generally is very pro-EU because we see a lot of the benefits. It baffles me that places like Cornwall and Wales voted against their own interests because I'm sure as hell that Westminster neither has the purse nor inclination to give them what the EU does.

Westminster will do as Westminster has always done: run the country for the benefit of London. Those poor areas voting leave is utterly incomprehensible.

Man of Honour
OP
You've skipped over reading some words in your rush to have a go at someone who voted Remain.

:)
Politicians being held accountable for their actions?

Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing that.
I'm not saying that I think we'll see it, I'm just saying that I'd like to.

Manifestos and pledges are not legally binding. You can't trust a promise from a politician, even if it's inscribed on a stone tablet ;)

So intentionally misleading people is ok, or it's not ok but we should just allow it to happen?

Soldato
"Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could effectively block the UK's exit from the EU."

She also thinks she can just legislate another independence referendum without Westminister having to rubber stamp it. I really don't understand why the SNP are so popular in Scotland when pretty much every thing they say is complete hogwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom