Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The Referendum has no legal validity, it is only advisory. Parliament is the only place with the legal right to do anything. They could take a vote in Parliament next week and say thanks for your opinion but no thanks. It will cause mayhem but they can do it.

and they won't...

this whole 'it isn't legally binding' nonsense is again delusional rubbish, we've voted out and we're leaving that much is simple

Soldato
Until the royal family and the unelected house of lords don't exist your point is incorrect, politicians of the day can and will do huge damage to the country when they get to decide on workers rights unchecked and allow huge corporations to do what they like, you seem to have blindly voted for the thing you think you voted against

The house of lords nor the royal family have as much power as you think, the house of commons has the most power over matters that concern the country.

Soldato
Personally i dont think its going to happen. The MPs will not vote for it, afterall the ref was only a gague of public opinion.

Now the real possibility of what will happen is dawning a lot of people who voted out will be changing views.

no one has a crystal ball to see if in the long run we would be better off out or in, things change and polices change. It will be interesting to see how other countries react when votes come up.... will the outers raise their voice or will people be reluctant to speak up.

The issue is the most devisive one of our times.... whatever happens a large part of the population will feel left out and unheard, and that is dangerous.

Caporegime
Manifestos and pledges are not legally binding. You can't trust a promise from a politician, even if it's inscribed on a stone tablet ;)

I think we need to have a fundamental change in how campaigns are run then. Because there's nothing stopping a party running on a platform of 'rainbows and unicorns for all', and as long as they have a few major newspapers on side then they're in.

Caporegime
Current rumours have Liam Fox putting himself forward to lead the Tories. Anybody who presses the button on Article 50 is going to be the fall guy for whatever happens so I assume he knows that and doesn't care/is being rewarded appropriately.

And conversely if it turns into a success story they can be the figurehead that initially lead it.

Soldato
Unaccountable as in the MEP elections we have regularly?
The problem are the people at the top, the ones with all the power.

They are voted in by a body, who are voted in by a body, who are voted in by a body that are voted for by the people of each country.

They are so far removed from the elective process of the populous it's ridiculous.

Soldato
I'm very much a lefty but I also run a business. The free movement of people is something I fundamentally agree with - based on the principle that the people coming here are compatible with our way of life and 'do what the Romans do'. The EU is mostly made up of those type of people and that's the kind of immigration I want and businesses like mine need.

London generally is very pro-EU because we see a lot of the benefits. It baffles me that places like Cornwall and Wales voted against their own interests because I'm sure as hell that Westminster neither has the purse nor inclination to give them what the EU does.

From what I saw Cornwall got £60m, that's nothing at all. Whoever takes over as PM and Chancellor ought to come out and reassure regions like this that will not receive less that might have otherwise done.

Caporegime
The ones who are outvoted often? what about all of the MEP's from the other states that are unaccountable by the british people?

How accountable do you think an MP for Manchester is to voters in Cornwall :confused:. If your MP ends up on the losing side of House of Commons votes then is that a fundamental issue with democracy in the UK?

Soldato
Personally i dont think its going to happen. The MPs will not vote for it, afterall the ref was only a gague of public opinion.

The Referendum has no legal validity, it is only advisory. Parliament is the only place with the legal right to do anything. They could take a vote in Parliament next week and say thanks for your opinion but no thanks. It will cause mayhem but they can do it.

I can't see it, even most hardened former remain campaigners are all pretty saying they accept the result. The ones saying the result should be ignored are tiny by comparison.

Even if every MP votes for what their constituency voted (so areas that voted remain have their MP vote to ignore the result and leave area MPs vote for it to be enacted) it would still pass.

Caporegime
That doesn't look like a promise to me. The wording is wrong, but ignoring that, I've not heard from a single brexiter in power that NHS would unlikely to be give any more money.

Oh come on. It's completely implied, and anyone that says otherwise is being disingenuous. This part of the leave campaign was based around a lie no one ever intended to carry out, mostly because this £350m figure was an utter farce in the first place.

Soldato
The house of lords nor the royal family have as much power as you think, the house of commons has the most power over matters that concern the country.

Actually no point in further discussion - I'm afraid you are either completely mental or incredibly naive.
I hope your magical England works out for you

Caporegime
And conversely if it turns into a success story they can be the figurehead that initially lead it.

I think it will take longer than the rest of this term for that to happen, if it does. The only hope that whoever finally does it can have of looking like a success is if the EU implodes before the next GE.

Soldato
This live episode of The Thick of It is getting a bit unbelievable now. When's it over?

Hah, I was thinking that this morning. There are some fantastic snippets of behind the scenes quotes in this morning papers that you can just imagine being said by Peter Capaldi.

From the Sunday Times
Corbyn went to bed at 11pm. Members of the 'remain' campaign tried to reach him at 6am to tell him what had happened and could not.

"The markets were in turmoil and people were like 'where the **** is the leader of the opposition?' One insider said 'he is in bed'. 'Can someone not get him him up?'. 'We are not sure how to do that'

Soldato
I've had a fair few emails from customers over the weekend.

1) What the hell is going to happen with data protection laws in the intervening period between leaving and getting a treaty established? I have pan-European customers who use our services here who don't know if they can continue hosting stuff in the UK in the next two years.

2) The number of businesses saying that their clients are looking to decamp to Europe and that they'll have to follow them is about a dozen so far. I expect more to follow as the multiplier effect spreads out. It's not too much of an issue while we're still inside but I am totally blind to see what's going to happen after a couple of years, do I have to open a European branch?

3) The more general feeling is that London is going to get hammered with jobs losses as multinationals start stepping out of the city. That's bad news for the country as a whole.

There was a lawyer on the TV who said the amount of laws that need changed would be far, far beyond the capabilities of any Govt over two years. What will happen is that all European law will remain in place until such time as we know what is happening and then these laws will be adjusted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom