Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
How can you tell? What fan did you replace with?

Sorry for the late reply, forgot to check back on this thread.

I replaced the standard fan with a Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra, however the cable was too short so I had to dust off the soldering iron.

Just to confirm this is the Gen8 sever we're talking about?

Associate
Anyone know of a good rear fan? I had the Scythe SY1225SL12HPVC with manual control set around 750rpm, but has just died on me!

Anything out there that would fit and that is really quiet?

EDIT: Ordered the Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PL1 Fan - 120mm (900rpm)

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry if it has already been mentioned but has anyone had any luck cramming 16GB ECC RAM into this server as I've read it's possible but I would prefer to see some confirmed situations before laying down the cash :)

GDL

GDL

Associate
I've seen some posts saying the same but personally, never had the issue.

Note:
That ram is slower than the Gen8 Stock ram. (I took it from my gen 7 and wondered if it would work in the Gen8 one day which it did.)

Associate
I have needed one of these for a few years now. About to embark onmany pages of research in this thread, but I just need to know one thing. I run both Windows 10 and OSX on the same computer and have a lot of trouble moving a file over to a ntfs drive or vice versa.

I would like to have storage space for files and able to access them on both OS's , is this possible and fairly easy to set up on whs?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just about to build my first Gen 8 server. I have a spare copy of Win 7 Home Premium which I can upgrade to Win 10, should I just use this or go for XPEnology?

It's mostly going to be used for Plex Server (to Fire devices), media storage and file back up from other Windows PC's.

Permabanned
Looking at (attempting) to see something using one of these up for my dads new office. They have 2 PCs currently that only have small SSDs inside them and they store all their vital work information on them. Dad told me he is running out of space, and whilst I can stick another SSD inside, wondering if one of these HP Micro severs would work at all?

Basically, what I want to do, is have the Microserver act as a file storage system for all the files they use and can have them access everything on their via their windows 10 PCs. Would then want it to back up to Gdrive, which they often access on their phones whilst out and about. Thing is both of them always email each other files the other needs (images, text etc) and they sit right next to each other. Would save some time having everything on a central system, and you write/edit onto that.

Now, is that viable? Is it possible to have it so it is reasonably quick, as in quicker to access than emailing files over? I have zero experience with these things as well as anything that isn't windows 7,8 or 10. But willing to learn...!

Soldato
Yes, that's all exactly what a server is for. You can set it up so the users' files are private, read-only to other users or fully accessible - whatever you want. Make sure that the OS you run on the Gen8 is capable of backing up to Gdrive.

Soldato
I'm just about to build my first Gen 8 server. I have a spare copy of Win 7 Home Premium which I can upgrade to Win 10, should I just use this or go for XPEnology?

It's mostly going to be used for Plex Server (to Fire devices), media storage and file back up from other Windows PC's.

If you're more familiar with W7/10 then I'd go for that - I'm running W10 on a Gen7 with 2gb ram and it's absolutely fine.

Saying that I'm sure there are benefits to XPEnology.

I'm going to go for a Gen 8 as well and probably give XPEnlology a try on that myself.

Permabanned
Yes, that's all exactly what a server is for. You can set it up so the users' files are private, read-only to other users or fully accessible - whatever you want. Make sure that the OS you run on the Gen8 is capable of backing up to Gdrive.

I assume I can simply install windows 10 onto it? Have a spare copy, and know how to use it.

To make it so the other office PCs will be able to access the information at a speedy rate, will I need any other equipment at all? A router or a network thingy?

Soldato
I assume I can simply install windows 10 onto it? Have a spare copy, and know how to use it.

Simply install is perhaps wishful thinking. It will only install windows server under "intelligent provisioning". You will have to find the various windows 10 drivers on the HP site and install after you have manually installed win 10.

I installed win 7 last year before the win 10 "free" offer and when windows looked at win 10 compatibility recently it said the graphics board was incompatible. I suspect that there is a driver now but check before installing. I haven't plucked up courage to upgrade - perhaps others have? i don't want to go through the rigmarole of reinstalling. I have installed non raid with OS on an SSD in bay 1 as when I tried to install with the SSD in the DVD slot win 7 couldn't find the drive from the win 7 disc in a USB DVD.

Last edited:
Soldato

To make it so the other office PCs will be able to access the information at a speedy rate, will I need any other equipment at all? A router or a network thingy?
You'll need a network switch but the office router probably has one built-in. However, check that it's got gigabit ports to maximise the server's network speed. If the existing PCs are wired to the router then it's worth buying a gigabit switch if the router isn't gigabit. If they're using wireless then things get more complicated and expensive....

Back
Top Bottom