Hearts of Iron 4

Permabanned
How did this happen do you know? I've not seen a Fascist USA yet.

Oh turns out I started boosting fascism from the get go and forgot about it.

Playing as Germany now and it 1950 and I'm trying to invade the USA but its damn hard, I managed to get a foothold on new York and some of the surrounding areas but I cannot add anymore troops dues to supply.

Just started the same and have most of the east coast now. I built huge airfields and rockets bases in Ireland and just bombed the crap out of them with strategic jets and missiles (had to upgrade the jets for greater range or they won't reach unless you have an ace assigned with range modifier)

Edit - not sure how my bombers are shooting down their fighters though :p

Last edited:
Associate
Having never heard of this series i decided to try the game out and while i like the look of strategy games etc once i had this installed i had no idea where to start, the tutorials are very vague and the wiki page is, well its not as good as a manual. Liked the look of the game but deleted it due to involved learning curve :(

Man of Honour
Having never heard of this series i decided to try the game out and while i like the look of strategy games etc once i had this installed i had no idea where to start, the tutorials are very vague and the wiki page is, well its not as good as a manual. Liked the look of the game but deleted it due to involved learning curve :(

Oh you want to persevere with it. It's a typical Paradox title in that respect but it is worth learning. Where did you get stuck can I/we offer any advice?

Associate
Well with news of the patch, I ordered it.

I'm a long standing HOI3 player and I've got hundreds of hours on EUIV so I know how the Paradox games roll which certainly helps.

I'm loving it. Started as Germany on the 1936 scenario and although I've only played a year, things are moving pretty quickly.

I've got a NAP with Italy. I've gone down the route of becoming pals with the Russians and the Japanese and Spain is in a state of civil war. As soon as became allied with the Russians and got troops back into the Rhineland the French started amassing troops on the border so I've shifted my forces over there and set up my air force to provide intercepting cover.

Looking forward to getting back on later.

Associate
Oh you want to persevere with it. It's a typical Paradox title in that respect but it is worth learning. Where did you get stuck can I/we offer any advice?

well i got stuck at the start :) i was presented with the tutorial screen and the rest was history i had no idea what to point at and click, since your reply i have watched a couple of tutorials on youtube. But its very mind boggling for a new player to grasp, i have reinstalled the game and will try again. Any links for new player appreciated.

Associate
well i got stuck at the start :) i was presented with the tutorial screen and the rest was history i had no idea what to point at and click, since your reply i have watched a couple of tutorials on youtube. But its very mind boggling for a new player to grasp, i have reinstalled the game and will try again. Any links for new player appreciated.

Have a read through the Paradox forums, keep watching the video's and keep with it.

I think what makes it harder than it should be is that there's no real aim in the game. You need to decide at the start what you want to do so you have something to aim for. You can then do what you need to do ingame to help get to that goal. Without that, I find I just tend to do stuff for no reason so the consequences of what happens don't matter.

Associate

Try as minor nation first as more straightforward and limited in scope to get going. DDRJake on YouTube with El Salvador is quite good at running through basics of land combat

Soldato
Any tips on invading the usa and Canada as the germans? I keep failing and when I do land I'm instantly in supply trouble and when I'm not in supply trouble the us and Canadian troops outnumber me and swarm.

Is this for your 1950 game? I imagine the USA has an insane amount of divisions at this point so you're gonna struggle getting a foothold on the coast. You could try invading via Mexico to relieve the pressure or invade the West Coast via Japan assuming they've captured Pearl Harbour. I've managed to invade the USA as Japan with relative ease. They did mobile against me fast but not fast enough stop me dashing up the coast to grab ports. It seems they naturally concentrate their forces on the East Coast.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Don't get the combat mechanics sometimes. I'm Russia it's 1949 and Germany invades my Eastern front where I've entrenched 6 million men. Green bubbles all along the line but they still push me back. I execute my plan to attack, and I rout them all the way back to Berlin. What gives?

Man of Honour
Don't get the combat mechanics sometimes. I'm Russia it's 1949 and Germany invades my Eastern front where I've entrenched 6 million men. Green bubbles all along the line but they still push me back. I execute my plan to attack, and I rout them all the way back to Berlin. What gives?

It's possibly a couple of things. Primarily German attrition as they invade the Soviet Union. Secondly poor AI division composition.

Associate
Same thing happened with me, Soviets declared war on me and I wasn't prepared and they go to berlin in days but I soon pushed them back even though I was outnumbered. Managed to win against the USA in the end, I managed to hold onto newfoundland and I forgot I could build ports so I maxed ports and managed to get hundreds of divisions over and blitz them.

Associate

It's possibly a couple of things. Primarily German attrition as they invade the Soviet Union. Secondly poor AI division composition.

Maybe to do with planning bonuses as well, if the Germans had been planning the attack for ages they may have had enough of a bonus to push back. In general I have found that passive forces do tend to get pushed back though when the AI is in control.

Back
Top Bottom