Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Since it was asked, why did Remainers vote remain. Here is my answer: Economics (I read the stuff a few weeks ago, so some of my figures might be off a little).

I some research into what it actually costs us, to be a member of the EU.

Membership fee: 17.9 billion with a 6 billion rebate => 12.9 Billion per year.

We get about 6 billion back in grants and projects money, a lot going to Wales and Cornwall. Wales was getting increased money until 2020, they also had tax incentives for companies to move there.

So that leaves about 6.9 Billion, which our foreign aid budget also comes out of. So basically EU membership costs about 6 billion, which quite frankly is a drop in the ocean to the benefits we get out of the EU.

Science and Tech industries will surely suffer a brain drain. EU funds so much research here, those scientists are generally worried. Even if we kept free movement of people why would research labs be set up here when there is little chance of funding?

London is the financial capital of europe. This is now very much under threat, Canary Wharf will slowly become a ghost town, as banks relocate to other cities around europe. How do we get them to stay? we'd have to offer tax breaks like Ireland currently do, as well as possibly easing regulations on them.

Trade. I am no expert but it could take decades to set up good trade deals, assuming we are still in a strong position to get what we want, but that's going to depend on when/if the markets here stop falling. Our GDP will fall, this is almost certain.

Why surrender our influence in Europe if ultimately we are going to still have the free movement of people and remain in the single market??

I am very worried about the outlook, my pension, my mortgage and my job.

Caporegime
Since it was asked, why did Remainers vote remain. Here is my answer: Economics (I read the stuff a few weeks ago, so some of my figures might be off a little).

We get about 6 billion back in grants and projects money, a lot going to Wales and Cornwall. Wales was getting increased money until 2020, they also had tax incentives for companies to move there.

Yes, and look at the attitude they have towards the EU. It boggles the mind.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...erwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-votes-leave-ebbw-vale?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“What’s the EU ever done for us?” Zak Kelly, 21, asks me this standing next to a brand new complex of buildings and facilities that wouldn’t look out of place in Canary Wharf. It’s not Canary Wharf, though, it’s Ebbw Vale, a former steel town of 18,000 people in the heart of the Welsh valleys, where 62% of the population – the highest proportion in Wales – voted Leave

To go there – along a new dual carriageway – and stand next to the town’s new sixth form and training college, a glass and steel architectural showpiece next to its new leisure centre, a few hundred yards away from a new train station, is to stare into the abyss of the UK’s failed Remain campaign.

Even Kelly, who has just finished a training session on a brand new football pitch, backtracks slightly after asking that question. “Well, I know … they built all this,” he says, and motions his head at the impressive facilities that are all around us. “But we put in more money than we get out, don’t we?

Deborah Basini says that she voted Remain. “All my family did. I’m very worried about what’s going to happen to inward investment. I’m 60 – this isn’t going to affect me. It’ll be my grandchildren who are not yet born.” Her customers, however, thought differently. “There was only one word people had on their mind: immigration. They didn’t look at the facts at all.”

Are there any immigrants in Ebbw Vale? “No! Hardly any. And the ones there are are all working, all contributing. It’s just … illogical. I just don’t think people looked at the facts at all.”

It’s a town with almost no immigrants that voted to get the immigrants out. A town that has been showered with EU cash that no longer wants to be part of the EU. A town that holds some of the clues, perhaps, in understanding quite how spectacularly the Remain message failed to land. There’s a sense of injustice that is far greater than the sum of the facts, and the political landscape has fractured and split. Zak Kelly says that many of his friends, in what is Nye Bevan’s old constituency, voted Ukip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36629533?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:
Soldato
Impact at work so far - nothing concrete but major housebuilder shares down, who are our clients. Hoping no downturn in housing development projects. Recently tendered for a port's expansion works worth £25m. Port relies on Maersk's activities and we were hoping to get the nod to proceed this week. Fingers crossed it doesn't stall. This work is needed to keep people employed!

Man of Honour
OP
He called a referendum. He's the Prime Minister, it's his job to prepare for both eventualities.

You only answered one of my questions there.

It's not his job to carry forwards on something he doesn't believe in - hence him stepping down. Now is the time for a Brexiteer to take the reigns and lead on what they desired with the strategies they have developed.

Unfortunately it looks very much like they haven't developed them, and actually didn't want to Leave in the first place.

Caporegime
Just a question to remainers mostly because I'm interested in their motivations.

Did you vote remain because you are happy with the way things are right now, or are you happy with the future course of more EU policy, integration leading to the EU superstate?

I had a pretty long post typed out to respond to this, but ultimately it boils down to being given a binary choice, and I feel that remaining in the EU is the better of those two choices.

Man of Honour
OP
I had a pretty long post typed out to respond to this, but ultimately it boils down to being given a binary choice, and I feel that remaining in the EU is the better of those two choices.

I'd say 'least bad' rather than better :D but that's my thinking too

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-what-is-eu-referendum-petition-david-cameron-a7105596.html
David Cameron rules out second EU referendum after Brexit

Should have been nipped in the bud days ago

It was never on the cards and I marvel at people that thought it was.

Soldato

So that leaves about 6.9 Billion, which our foreign aid budget also comes out of. So basically EU membership costs about 6 billion, which quite frankly is a drop in the ocean to the benefits we get out of the EU.

Science and Tech industries will surely suffer a brain drain. EU funds so much research here, those scientists are generally worried. Even if we kept free movement of people why would research labs be set up here when there is little chance of funding?

London is the financial capital of europe. This is now very much under threat, Canary Wharf will slowly become a ghost town, as banks relocate to other cities around europe. How do we get them to stay? we'd have to offer tax breaks like Ireland currently do, as well as possibly easing regulations on them.

Trade. I am no expert but it could take decades to set up good trade deals, assuming we are still in a strong position to get what we want, but that's going to depend on when/if the markets here stop falling. Our GDP will fall, this is almost certain.

Why surrender our influence in Europe if ultimately we are going to still have the free movement of people and remain in the single market??

I am very worried about the outlook, my pension, my mortgage and my job.

I share all of the same concerns, be foolish not to.

But what I envision is a nation who can trade freely with whoever it wants, who can set its own laws, can replace politicians \ lawmakers who aren't up to the job and build on relationships with the Commonwealth and the USA.

I don't want to live under laws that have been voted on by people from the continent. I don't think that's fair. What is good for one, isn't always the best for others.

Soldato
Which non-EU countries were we unable to make deals with before?

I don't know hence asking the question. If not unable which I accept was unlikely then restricted in same way.

I'm asking questions in an effort to see some positives out of this. Not for my post to be taken out piecemeal and shot down, scoffed at or some other low ball reply - as per most of these EU threads.

I live in Pembrokeshire which has received masses of EU funding as it was classed as a poor economic area. What is never mentioned and I find it stunning that it's not once ever come up is where the EU money went. The schools still look like they've not been renovated since the 70s (other than the recent built ones which are now being closed as they don't have enough pupils which is more down to catchment manipulation) the hospital services are being wound up and centralised putting various portions of the populace (mothers, children and the elderly) in danger. However, google the council offices of any town in Wales that has received EU funding and you'll find a castle waiting for you. A castle in which they can no longer afford to keep the lights on. The squandering of EU money in Wales, albeit another story to this, is criminal.

Last edited:
Soldato
You do realise that the only reason it hit such lows in February was due to Brexit concerns regarding Cameron's re-negotiation, right? Going, don't worry this Brexit has only - so far - caused as much harm as the last time Brexit tanked our exchanges isn't much of a re-assurance. On previous occasions, the markets recovered as people starting thinking Brexit was less likely, that won't happen this time.

What about at the end of 2014? Why was it lower than it is now?

Soldato
You only answered one of my questions there.

It's not his job to carry forwards on something he doesn't believe in - hence him stepping down. Now is the time for a Brexiteer to take the reigns and lead on what they desired with the strategies they have developed.

Unfortunately it looks very much like they haven't developed them, and actually didn't want to Leave in the first place.

He steps down in 3 months, someone has to be elected as leader by the Conservative party before you can start blaming them for something that isn't currently their job

Germany paid off her WWI reparations in 1932, so I don't know what your point is.

Hitler rose to power in 1933, after being voted in by the unhappy Germans, after Germany was unfairly blamed completely for the first World War.

Probably what his point is. Not sure what it has to do with the referendum in this country last week however and is another topic entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom