Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
You just need to be confident that the shares will increase in value again by more than the cost of the various fees that you'll incur.

GBP is lower again this morning, anyone got a prediction on how low it could go vs USD? I'd be interested in links to any economist/investor predictions on this. Where do you guys look for your Forex news?

I wouldn't worry about forecasts they're usually ******** - if people had any ability to forecast as confidently as they seem to claim they'd be keeping quiet about it and making billions... in reality most of the people/paid pundits, analysts etc... making these calls about where GBP will end up aren't billionaires, they're just idiots

Associate
With the panic that was happening on Friday I purchased shares in lloyds and rbs down about 2% on lloyds but a hefty 15% on rbs! A gamble I knew it was but definitely didn't pay off, I was hoping for the rbs to be a relatively short to medium hold and lloyds in it for the long run. What's everyone's thoughts on the banks? I think after this week it will plateau and a steady rise to come what with the BoE getting involved.

Soldato
With the panic that was happening on Friday I purchased shares in lloyds and rbs down about 2% on lloyds but a hefty 15% on rbs! A gamble I knew it was but definitely didn't pay off, I was hoping for the rbs to be a relatively short to medium hold and lloyds in it for the long run. What's everyone's thoughts on the banks? I think after this week it will plateau and a steady rise to come what with the BoE getting involved.

It's worth bearing in mind that both of these companies are still fundamentally the same. Having worked for both (and at one of them), they have moved on a lot since 2008. This is not a banking crisis, unlike before.

If it's any consolation I also bought shares in them both today. I'm not worried, but I'm also not patient. :p

Associate
i was due to add to my s&s ISA but have no clue whether to wait for things to settle or try and grab a share that I had previously though slightly over priced.

whats everyones feelings at this time?

Man of Honour

it really depends what happens, which we wont know till October. so be little or no growth till then, then it will weither implode(if we press that big red button) or grow(if we back peddle).
that's my opinion and why I'm not investing on what I see as a massive gamble. if we do leave then I will dump any money I have spare into into it.

Soldato
It's worth bearing in mind that both of these companies are still fundamentally the same. Having worked for both (and at one of them), they have moved on a lot since 2008. This is not a banking crisis, unlike before.

If it's any consolation I also bought shares in them both today. I'm not worried, but I'm also not patient. :p

The deal with Lloyds is housing which suddenly is unpopular. People guessing UK suffers instability which usually means higher rates though I dont know with QE which direction is correct tbh

Lloyds can pay a nice dividend if their customers pay their mortgages, so that to me is the main consideration.

I wouldn't buy RBS because its situation is murky though it gets cheap at some price I guess. They dont pay a div, they arent profitable afaik though its a still major UK highstreet bank (natwest etc) and doing good business here and there.

I hope Lloyds goes down to 20p again cant see why not hold, add even if its gloomy

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/investors/fixed-income-investors/credit-ratings/

I would imagine the markets will quickly assume the worst,
Like insurance all prices are correct until events are known, right now the prices are testing lows. Its all reasonable still

Last edited:
Associate
well if you think they will go up then buy if you think they're going to fall further then sell

not sure what else there is to say regarding that

My apologies, what I was actually more meaning was, is there a trading account you would recommend?

Thanks

Soldato
Sentiment change, have the markets found the correct level or has the BOE pumped some cash in? FTSE100 up 2%.

Just finding the right level for now based on the Thursday vote...nothing much to react to right now.

I expect business/economic data over the coming weeks to trigger another downturn, as anecdotal evidence of business seizing up turns into concrete numbers.

Soldato
Well the credit downgrade rumours have been turned into reality

They wanted to downgrade the USA as well. Think their CEO left after that.
Since rating agencies are paid by those who issue the debt, the largest issuer has an undue influence

Commodity production growth from 2000

bioSGtT.png

Sterling dollar is up a bit today, just 1% and one day doesnt mean anything but I think its regained and avoided the most negative breakdown scenario.
Its in a normal downtrend and Sterling is a weak currency not in isolation, dollar itself has wider issues and a trade deficit, fiscal deficit and a big QE program ongoing.
I dont see Dollar as strong either so as a ratio this is not a lobsided scenario imo, sterling may recover. Looking for a trend based on the last few years, I think 1.34 to 1.44 on a weekly closing price is still within normal trading. If it breaks out of that its something new but right now its still on the rails despite the volatility of recent news

Associate
I am trying to learn about the stock market, I'm currently running a demo account on ig.com. Out of interest, is there any reason ig.com doesn't allow you to demo share trading, only spread-betting and CFDs? Is it because share-trading directly impacts share prices?

Also as a newcomer, is spread-betting on the LSE a good starting point (with a demo account) or will it teach things I should be avoiding?

Soldato
IG are a spreadbetting firm. They only moved fairly recently into share trading - within the last couple of years from memory, so I think its just that their demo account setup hasn't caught up.

I use IG for spreadbetting, but not share trading - NOT that there is anything wrong with IG, I just don't want my eggs all in one basket.

Back
Top Bottom