Ways to avoid jetlag on 9 hour flight?

Associate
I usually try and get my sleeping patterns sorted a week or so before the trip. Oddly though, I felt less jet lagged going to Japan than I did to Vancouver :s

Associate
Jet Lag didn't seem the issue when me and the wife went Vegas, We just stayed awake as long as we could and went to bed as close to normal bedtime we could, Our main issue was more to do with my Body clock when it came to food and meal times, It was really weird as i never felt hungry at the normal times but would eat at those times but find my appetite was low, my digestive system seemed to dislike this too. It never really got any better until i got home. (didn't ruin the holiday or anything though)

Caporegime
Jet Lag didn't seem the issue when me and the wife went Vegas, We just stayed awake as long as we could and went to bed as close to normal bedtime we could, Our main issue was more to do with my Body clock when it came to food and meal times, It was really weird as i never felt hungry at the normal times but would eat at those times but find my appetite was low, my digestive system seemed to dislike this too. It never really got any better until i got home. (didn't ruin the holiday or anything though)

I too was doing funny poos in Vegas. Glad it's not just a me phenomenon.

Soldato
Depends, when I go to the states, I never get jet lag, so there is no issue. I only get jet lag when I fly back to the UK, and it's only an issue if I am due back in work as soon as I am home.

Soldato
25 beers and the extra tight seatbelt at the back of the plane.

There's not much you can do, but it depends on which way you're flying. Adjusting your sleep patterns before travelling seem silly - just make sure you get plenty of sleep before going.

Associate
Watched a programme on this... Don't eat on the plane and when you land eat at next meal time. So if you land at 2pm wait until 5pm and have dinner as usual.

If you land at 7pm starve until breakfast, presenter doctor guy doubted it and said it worked like a dream.

Soldato
I used to sleep for about 2-3hrs on the plane when flying from Chicago > Manchester overnight, land at 8am then go straight into work and go to bed around 10pm. Never got jet lag that way. The one time I flew back on the weekend and went straight to sleep midday screwed me up for a week or so.

So, yeah, just stay awake and try to go to bed at the normal time.

Man of Honour
If you find out let me know because frankly I have tried everything from drinks, no drinks, drugs to no drugs, normal seats to my own cabin with a bed in it and I STILL can't sleep on a plane.

Associate
If you find out let me know because frankly I have tried everything from drinks, no drinks, drugs to no drugs, normal seats to my own cabin with a bed in it and I STILL can't sleep on a plane.

Sounds like me a few years back :(. A few tips:
[1] Make it quiet and dark. Pack some decent noise cancelling earphones (if not travelling in a class where you get them provided) and use some good night shade masks (and stick with them for a good 50 minutes).
[2] Either drink a fair bit, or nothing.
[3] Just accept its cramped and try to ignore than (even in J your surrounded by peeps so just try to block it out).
[4] Eat early or not at all.

Soldato
I fly long haul regularly (Japan last month 12 hours, west coast of USA this month 10.5 hours) and I don't seem to suffer much from jetlag anymore. Going west is easy as mentioned, it's just a longer day. Going back East I have a few beers in the airport and it allows me to doze a bit on the plane, I don't really ever sleep though. I try and land around lunchtime/afternoon if I'm flying east and then I seem to be able to correct myself by staying up again.

Caporegime

West is easy. Just stay awake until a reasonable time and sleep. You just become a morning person for a few days. No matter how hard I try i can never keep the morning person routine up for more than a few days though. :)

East is bad. Just enter the time zone you will end up in as soon as you board he plans. If it's night time there then try and sleep, if day time try and stay awake until it's time to sleep. Once there stay awake until the evening, even if you feel dead, and sleep when you're supposed to. Also eat at the right times, even if your body disagrees.

The best solution is just fly south! Most of Africa is only an hour or two different to us! Solves all the issues, is usually cheaper than a trip east or west and it's usually more interesting too! :p

Back
Top Bottom