Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
D.P. did you get the Halo tubing, and then manage to create a bench of some kind to use it on, and something to tether it to ? do you use it everyday ?
[ I was holding off until after the Speedo coaching sessions to find out what aspects of my technique do not need fixing - they said they will video you with ipads ... did not know they were waterproof ]

Prescription goggles has anyone assessed the market recently - since I started needing glasses I have used view platina ones about £25 a pair (2 independent lenses) they are as comfortable as the speedo biofuse I used to like which similarly had a tpe (not silicone) seal. Have had 2 pairs over 7 years
The nose bridge is a bit low/biting though, so does anyone have alternatives ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
D.P. did you get the Halo tubing, and then manage to create a bench of some kind to use it on, and something to tether it to ? do you use it everyday ?
[ I was holding off until after the Speedo coaching sessions to find out what aspects of my technique do not need fixing - they said they will video you with ipads ... did not know they were waterproof ]

Prescription goggles has anyone assessed the market recently - since I started needing glasses I have used view platina ones about £25 a pair (2 independent lenses) they are as comfortable as the speedo biofuse I used to like which similarly had a tpe (not silicone) seal. Have had 2 pairs over 7 years
The nose bridge is a bit low/biting though, so does anyone have alternatives ?

No, I got sidetracked looking after a newborn and then getting back in to running.

I got a god swim in this morning though. Not really any faster but instead of doing 10x25yd sets I did 20x25=500yds and they felt really good.

Ordered the swim paddles, will see what they are like. HALO bench is definitely in the works though. The only thing I need to think about is getting a bench that sits high enough or that I can raise with some sturdy wooden platform etc.

Caporegime
I swam 3000m on Saturday in a wetsuit and it took me 1h4m. It's so bloody boring!

That did boost my confidence that I can swim the Ironman 3.8km, providing I can use a wetsuit.

I've heard a lot of races now don't mind of you wear a wet suit or not, or at least up to an even higher temperature. But if it is above their 75*F or whatever it is then you don't get a podium finish/age group medal etc, but do have an official race time.

Obviously something to look into. there is a HI near me at the end of September ans they state rules long those liens. The water temperature will be above the threshold but they wont mind anyone wearing a wetsuit, you just can't get a podium finish. Wont be doing the HI in the end because my cycling is way too far behind. It is true what a lot of people told me, don't fear th swim, fear the cycling!

Last edited:
Soldato
For my race the official rules say you will be disqualified if you wear a wetsuit above 24.5C!

Ha, the cycling is the easy bit. It's the only discipline where you can coast! If you stop swimming you sink, if you stop running you will be stationary. If you stop pedalling you will roll for a while!:D

Caporegime
Had a very slow swim this morning. S weird because I thought I was really powering through every set with a better catch&pull.

Permabanned
Started swimming late last year with the aim of completing another Triathlon (Standard Distance) this year with a friend who I run with.

Really happy with progress and finally managed over the last few weeks to find a breathing technique I'm happy with and can zone out and concentrate on attempting changing my technique a little. Currently breathing on every second stroke, is something else considered ideal or should I just stick with it for now?

Started around November I think it was and we were doing 4 sets of 10 lengths (25m). Went yesterday and managed 10 sets of 10 lengths (25m) so really happy with the distance covered and the best we've done in terms of continous is 2 sets of 32 lengths (1 mile). Just need to go and do it all in one go at some point.

Soldato
I do not think anyone in our Sunday regulars does bi-lateral breathing - I aspire to it, I am sure it would balance my stroke better and help efficiency, always feel I have breath left over every 2 strokes, plus every 3 would give me 2 when I would not have to move head too (relaxing? concentrate on pull) ... only issue is dedicating the precious pool time to learning it and the spluttering I know it will involve.

Did teach myself to avoid breathing through nose which was causing some sinus problems, see quite a few people with nose clips but decided not to try that.

Caporegime
I do bilateral breathing. I used to prefer one sided but now I prefer bilat, just seems more symmetric. I'm not short of breath but is isn't super comfortable. However, I do have very good CV fitness, that is more than offset by poor technique.

Soldato
I do bi-lateral breathing but changed the pattern to one better suited for long distance (apparently).

So I take 2 breaths to one side, followed by 3 strokes then 2 breaths to the other side, 3 strokes...repeat.

Now I seem to stay oxygenated and get less headaches.

You just have to find what works for you. I was watching the ISOman last weekend where people were swimming 11km(!) and there wasn't a consensus on breathing techniques from what I could see.

Soldato
crikey that sounds complicated I am using most of my brain power to count lengths ;) if I could only kick the length counting Ok open water does it.

[ with breath left over in the single side every 2 scenario, I have developed underwater singing or commenting on the behaviour of adjacent swimmers, probably means not excerting myself enough, another good fun activity is a hybrid back stroke/crawl where you swim and rotate about head to toe axis alternating every stroke between a back and front crawl stroke, breathing when on your back - find the crawl stroke seems to give more power than regular crawl ]

Soldato
So I started swimming recently for my first triathlon... Not bothered with any pool stuff just gone straight for open water. Progressed well, up to full distance 1.2 miles and comfortable doing that in around 50 minutes but I cannot help but to kick from my knee... If I kick from the hip with a straighter knee it throws everything way off and I cannot get a rhythm at all.

Alll front crawl btw.

Soldato
The swim is literally about survival for me, with a minimal amount of kicking effort to keep my legs up in the water as possible... It ain't pretty but doesn't need to be so long as I make the cut off and don't hurt myself! Thanks for the tips, I'll try that out in feurteventura tomorrow :)

Permabanned
Swam again on Wednesday and managed 2 x 20 lengths and 1 x 40. Felt comfortable for the most part, breathing felt relaxed and better although I stuck with 2 strokes as just wanted some distance in.

Swam again today and didn't go well at all, first part did (1 x 35 lengths) breathing again was 2 strokes, felt reasonably ok. Took a small break and then started my second set (1 x 35 again) but tried to breathe on strokes 4 and 6 instead to see how much difference it makes keeping my head in the water, did well at first but then got stomach cramp, upset my rhythm massively and got out the pool after about 6/8 lengths and waited for my friend to finish his set.

Dissapointed with todays swim and didn't help myself as have a few issues going on at the moment and couldn't zone out and let it affect my swim. :( Find running much easier for moments like this, really need to work on my mental game for swimmig as much as the actual technique too. :/

Soldato
There are worse things than loosing the bouyancy of a wetsuit - if it gets warm in Med/S. France you can be navigating around the occasional jellyfish in open water practice - this keeps you alert (don't leave home without a bottle of vinegar)

Soldato
Jellies are all over. It's these buggers (lions mane) that I have to deal with up here. Got a double crossing of the Tay this weekend and hope they'll stay down low. Sometimes the water is just infested, and they can give you a nasty sting. We get moon jellies too, but those guys are alright.

BjO38u5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom