• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade advice

Soldato
Hey

I've been meaning to upgrade my graphics card for a while now and was waiting for the RX 480 to be released. It looks pretty decent for the price but the price wasn't exactly my only deciding factor and I guess I was expecting the 480 to be a bit nippier. I'm willing to spend around £250 if it gives better bang for buck and longevity, a free game is always nice too, but if the gains aren't massive then something for around £200 is nice.

Current specs:

- HD 7870
- i5 ~4.5GHz
- 8GB 2666MHz

I game at 1080p and probably will for the foreseeable future. I also won't be upgrading to Windows 10 for a while but no doubt I eventually will.

What would you guys go for in my situation? I'm actually leaning towards a 970 as it seems to slightly edge it but comparing the 4GB 480 price I just wonder if it's worth it.

Associate
Tough one.

I suggest you read / watch the 480 and 970 reviews and make an informed decision from them. I am sure the red and green teams will be along soon to "help" you.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Soldato
OP
I suggest you read / watch the 480 and 970 reviews and make an informed decision from them. I am sure the red and green teams will be along soon to "help" you.

Haha. I don't delve into this area of the forum often and it has been quite an experience.

I have tried to get a feel for things but nothing stands out as providing best bang for buck in that price range. Like I said the 970 looks nice but its age and driver support in the future concerns me a bit. It is hard :/

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom