• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 480 Fails PCI-E Specification

Associate
Not sure if this has been posted here yet. Apparently the RX 480 is drawing way more power from the PCI-E slot on Mobo's than the spec allows which can *potentially* lead to instability and/or damage to the Mobo.

I've just canceled my order of 2xRX 480's to see what comes of this ><... That and they don't have DVI connectors which screws over my 120hz option on my aging BenQ monitor!!

https://m.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

:(

Associate
If you've got a modern motherboard you should be okay; iirc GPUs can legitimately pull 150w from PCIe 2.1 and above. That having been said If Tom's is accurate it's a bit of a screw up on AMD's part still.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just canceled my order of 2xRX 480's to see what comes of this ><... That and they don't have DVI connectors which screws over my 120hz option on my aging BenQ monitor!!

:(

Surely a 980ti for around £370 would be better? Some newer titles (e.g Tomb Raider) don't even support x-fire.

Caporegime
Question. why is it such a bad thing for the RX 480 to briefly draw 80 Watts through the 75 Watt PCIe but ok for the 750TI to briefly draw 140 Watts through the PCIe?

In fact acording to this chart the 750TI is drawring about 100 Watts through the PCIe almost as much as it is 60 Watts.

Associate
OP
Surely a 980ti for around £370 would be better? Some newer titles (e.g Tomb Raider) don't even support x-fire.

Not for one computer.

I have 3 Mini itx gaming rigs. One for me, one for my wife and one for the htc vive in the living room.

I have a gtx 1080 in the Vive HTPC and wanted to get an rx 480 in both the gaming pcs to keep costs down.

Ive just ordered 2x gtx 1070s to go in the gaming pcs now. Shame because i was really trying hard to find a reason to give amd some money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
I asked in the other thread if all this is a real issue or just hyperbole.

The 750TI peaks at 140 Watts on the board PCIe, its spends about 50% of its time at 100 Watts on the board PCIe.

Toms Hardware did not see that as an issue, Nvidia did not see that as an issue, they designed and built the GPU.

Why are 80 to 90 Watt power spikes at the board PICe a catastropy when it comes to an AMD card?

Last edited:
Soldato
Question. why is it such a bad thing for the RX 480 to briefly draw 80 Watts through the 75 Watt PCIe but ok for the 750TI to briefly draw 140 Watts through the PCIe?

In fact acording to this chart the 750TI is drawring about 100 Watts through the PCIe almost as much as it is 60 Watts.

Ha so true. The amount of poop that gets flung at AMD during a new launch is at least entertaining. I mean to laugh at those doing the flinging.

I expect lot's of Nvidia fanboy anti AMD threads popping up over the next few days until the rabbid fanboys calm down :D:p

Soldato
I asked in the other thread if all this is a real issue or just hyperbole

The 750TI peaks at 140 Watts on the board PCIe, its spends about 50% of its time at 100 Watts on the board PCIe.

Toms Hardware did not see that as an issue, Nvidia did not see that as an issue, they designed and built the GPU.

Why are 80 to 90 Watt power spikes at the board PICe a catastropy when it comes to an AMD card?
Stop the damage control, man. It's just normal operation when an Nvidia card does it. An AMD card doing the same thing will kill your motherboard and possibly you too. It's scientific fact.

Soldato
I asked in the other thread if all this is a real issue or just hyperbole.

The sheer amount of baboon dung being flung at AMD over at the LinustechForums is disgusting as well. No matter the reasoning, or other Tom's Reviews showing NVIDIA cards going the same, that's fine; but some already mentioning class action lawsuits against AMD.

These are the same people that have admitted to Bias against AMD, and would never even consider their products.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I also like the thread title, seeing as AMD apparently sent the card to PCI-e who tested and certified it... thus it didn't fail PCI-E specs. That literally two systems supposedly drew more, and an amount that would usually be deemed without the margin of error, as in most voltage rails on most equipment are +/- 10% rated, apparently means it's failed and is horrific... but peaks at way way lower than the 750ti. What with the huge controversy sparked by the 10k's of threads on 750ti's blowing up systems, psus, mobos and burning down houses, we all know what a massive problem this is........

Caporegime
IMO the card is underwhelming, i also think its a bit too expensive for what it is. Most of you know how i feel about it, but i'm going to shut up about that now as there is no point in droaning on a bout it.

But 'yet again' it seems to me some completley unwarrented hyperbolic crap about an AMD product seems to have at least one or two reviewers screaming from the roof tops its in some way utterley flawed and broken.

It does us well to remember that most mainstream reviewers depend on an income provided to them 'in one form or another' by the developers of the products they are reviewing, this includes the competitors of the products they are reviewing.

Its a danger to the Motherboard if the board PCIe excceds 75 Watts?
I have never read so much blatant Male Bovine Manure in my life, its utter nonsense, the boards firware, the BIOS will not alow it to excced its actually rating, that rating can be significantly higher for improved stability if the board vendor choses to build it like that, in which case it will give a higher reading.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Drawing more power over a sustained period isn't great but you have to realize the 75w is actually the minimum, not maximum rating. Its not the end of the world but AMD should have just gone with an 8pin.

Bigger issue is the card seems to pull around 160-170w when gaming which is pretty atrocious for the performance and on 14nm. these things are clocked well beyond the reasonable clock-power curve.

Back
Top Bottom