How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Soldato
Fair enough but why are all these people in Kent 'bricking it' We have already been told by the left that these poor refugees are all neurosurgeons, architects, doctors, engineers and rocket scientists simply looking for a better future, so why the fear?

The European immigrants are coming to work. The mob of people at Calais are not European citizens. You can't distinguish between the two?

Man of Honour
She sacked the Australian PM once... well really she did it on the advice of the Governor but it was technically done in her name.

But since it is incredibly rarely used power and only used in the national interest (not at a whim by her certainly) then it does serve as a useful emergency measure. While I'd gladly sack the house of Lords and replace with something more resembling a Senate I'm quite happy with the Monarchy so long as they don't interfere significantly.

On that I can't disagree too much about

Associate
So as an expat living in China I'm better off, the plunge in the pound is great for me sending money home for a change.
And a lot my Chinese friends are booking trips to UK as its much cheaper now.

With a Chinese gf & friends hopefully it helps with the work visa situation, making it the best person in the world gets the job rather than the EU.

Stock wise got out before the drops & reinvested.

Being from Northern Ireland however is more worrisome if Scotland were to vote to leave the province would tear its self apart not to mention the idea of 1000 years of tories turns my stomach.

I hope northern Ireland can re-position itself as a bridge for trade between the UK & EU

With the weaker pound and many business getting crippled by having to import for the EU, I think its better we get out quickly to allow are business to source materials from further afield at a more competitive price.

Also holding an Irish passport as well does allow me to still take advantage of the benefits of the EU.

Soldato
Hang on people in a country that isn't a member of the EU (or even part of the EEA) are very sad at the UK leaving something they don't want to join themselves... and quite possibly ending up in a similar scenario to the one they're in already :confused:

I didn't write it very well, it was our hosts in Italy mainly, although the Swiss were also of a similar view but they live literally on the border with Italy and so already consider themselves almost part of two nations and thus something bigger than just their own country.

Unless you're familiar with the smaller Swiss border crossings it's difficult to explain it. You stroll down the high street where a border is in a town and you're in/out of the countries/EU without really noticing. People either side of the crossing have the same attitudes.

Caporegime
I didn't write it very well, it was our hosts in Italy mainly, although the Swiss were also of a similar view but they live literally on the border with Italy and so already consider themselves almost part of two nations and thus something bigger than just their own country.

Unless you're familiar with the smaller Swiss border crossings it's difficult to explain it. You stroll down the high street where a border is in a town and you're in/out of the countries/EU without really noticing. People either side of the crossing have the same attitudes.

but that is down to the Schengen Area - feeling close to their European neighbours sure... but my point is Switzerland isn't in the EU and doesn't to be so it is a bit bizarre to hear that they're sad the UK doesn't want to be part of something they're also happy to not be part of... maybe the people you spoke to are just very pro-EU but if so they're in the minority of Swiss citizens.

Soldato

That town is called chiasso where I sometimes work in

Soldato
And what about your children. Would you not like them to have a broader sense of the world like you and let them make their own decisions where they would like to live and work and explore?

Post Brexit people will still be moving around the world, its almost as if people seem to think that once it happens all movement will stop. Just apply for a visa pay any fees and get on with it.

As u say there are unrest in many parts of the world. What if this place becomes bad? Did you know that places like Syria use to be a very calm relaxed and friendly place to live and visit?

I was born into the mess that was 1970s Belfast....

Soldato
As the person above asked, why can't you do that now, and what makes you think this will change with an EU exit?

I currently pay £800 for a 1 bed flat, in oxford. I cant use the help to buy scheme as its capped at 250k, minimum house price here is around 300k for a 1 bed house.

No, I am currently unable to even think about saving for any sort of deposit (30k+). Being recently engaged I'd like to be able to start a stable future.

Yes, maybe moving to Oxford was a bad decision, but isn't that really down to lack of a living wage / affordable housing etc etc.

Housing prices may drop, so as I'm moving back to family in Brum, thing's should get a lot better for me.

If you want to look at in this way:

The older generation voted out. Why? It could be because they knew a different way of living, one where someone could buy a house, support a family of four and the partner could choose to stay at home with kids or go to work.

Now? We both work full time, struggle to afford housing, have no hope in saving currently. Kids? HA. I'm of the mindset that if you can't afford a pet or child, dont have one. I refuse to subject a child to living condition that I don't feel comfortable in.

And this is considered the norm, because todays generation hasn't known any other way of living, a sort of stockholm syndrome if you will.

It makes no sense in my mind, why am I slaving away working tiring jobs for little to no gain? I should be able to support a family, own a house, have a good life.

Also, all this free trade / one market stuff, if we open trade deals with other countries (which include free trade deals) then would that not boost business?

Seeing as New zeland is offering their trade negotiators, and they have 8 free trade deals with other countries, and the UK has been approached by 11 (? i think i read 11) countries so far wishing to start negotiations, I honestly can't see things being that bad?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to read this, good luck.

But leaving the EU is good for small businesses... right?

Well except yours, mine and every other small business employee/owner i know.

Genuinely sorry to hear your misfortune, i did my part to try and prevent it.

Appreciated - if I end up having to wind up the business, I'm sure I'll be able to look out for myself.

Interestingly enough, we have quite a significant indirect impact on the exchequer. For instance, we bring highly qualified bankers in from the Continent, as well as generally obtaining strong pay increases for those based domestically. These guys go on to contribute significantly in terms of income tax, National insurance and also investing loads of their disposable income into the UK economy (renting, shopping, eating, etc.). Us going out of business would see my firm not paying any of the associated taxes but also our candidates wouldn't be contributing as much either. Lose lose situation.

Soldato
Move out of Oxford. I understand you may have family/friends/gf/job there and I sympathise, but you can't afford to stay there. Most of the UK is cheaper.

And that's what I said I am doing. If I hadn't been made redundant from the job I moved here for I'd be in a slightly better position now, but still unable to contemplate affording a house.

Yet, how is that my fault fully? Yes I moved to chase a dream, yes we are living "ok", but that's it, just "ok", I can't save etc etc etc. Surely there should be affordable housing, or a London style wage taking into consideration the London style housing costs, and with house prices going steadily up, the rest of the UK is/was gearing up for the same sort of prospect.

Still, I am moving at the end of the month, with no job to go into (have interviews, looking at a pay RISE), living with family for a short period but then looking at renting a 2 bed house for HALF the cost of my current 1 bed flat. Fun times ahead! I'll be fine though :D

Last edited:
Associate
The European immigrants are coming to work. The mob of people at Calais are not European citizens. You can't distinguish between the two?

Who mentioned EU immigrants? BigT's neighbours in Kent are concerned over the refugees in Calais making it to mainland UK. I've pointed out that if we are to believe the left then 'refugees' are all peaceful doctors, scientists, engineers and surgeons looking for a better life so I don't see what the concern is.

Associate
Im so sad for you that your holiday will be costing more for you.

But then a lot of people that voted out..

In the North east of England. North midlands and midlands East anglia areas cant afford a holiday from year to year..

You see they are on minimum wage with no chance of overtime or seeing there wages go up because the area is swamped with people from EU depressing the wage market..

And as for how Brexit affects me.. no idea. no one has any idea until things are sorted and we see what deals are made.

Everything else is just speculation on both sides with some drama queens going totally overboard with the doom and gloom.

Even if immigration is reduced for those people on minimum wage no improvements will be seen. For example when you see Osborne saying the conservative party is aiming for "full employment" what they mean is a target of around 5% unemployment to avoid a price/wage spiral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price/wage_spiral

Soldato
but my point is Switzerland isn't in the EU and doesn't to be so it is a bit bizarre to hear that they're sad the UK doesn't want to be part of something they're also happy to not be part of... maybe the people you spoke to are just very pro-EU but if so they're in the minority of Swiss citizens.

And its a very valid point. OP asked how it affected me personally and that has been my personal experience.

That town is called chiasso where I sometimes work in

That's one of them but Ponte Tresa and Gaggiolo are pretty much the same. Drive one side to get your cheap petrol and the other for your leather goods :D

And then there's the bizarre completely annexed part of the EU in Campione D'Italia which I believe is exempt from EU VAT.

Soldato
As a Brit in Germany, nothing immediately, apart from student loan payments getting cheaper along with trips home (thanks!). Uncertainty over our rights here isn't really a concern as we were planning on buggering off to Canada in the next few years anyway, but due to the toxic socio-political atmosphere in Europe we're pressing ahead to make that move as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom