Asrock H77 Motherboard
i5 3470
8GB RAM
120GB SSD
2TB SATAII HDD
EVGA 600W PSU
EVGA GTX 970 SC GAMING
Acer Predator XB270H

Currently, I can play games (The Division, Dirty Bomb) in 1080p however I don't hit the lofty heights of >100FPS, and I suspect that is down to the age of the rest of my kit, not the fault of the monitor / GPU so a minor upgrade is required. I have got myself a Corsair carbine 540 (cause I thought it was pretty...) so I'm pretty much wanting to buy new rather than transplanting most of my aging kit into it

I am looking at a mboard, CPU, cooler, RAM, and ideally an M.2 card to bolster it. I can't really justify over £600 for all this... anything more will require clever financial offshoring to avoid her indoors' wrath....!

CPU: i5 6600K or do I need i7 6700K to cut 1080p @ 144Hz?
Mboard: All the Z170 boards seem similar, is there any standout board in my budget. If there isn't any standouts, then I might as well get the one that fits into my white / black / blue theme
RAM: DDR4 3200 the best bang for buck in this budget? Which brand is on song, I am used to the old school days when Corsair were the only option
M.2: I would like to boot off my existing 120GB SSD and put the games, etc on the M.2, any thoughts / recommendations
PSU: Is what I've got OK for all this stuff I'm chucking in?
Cooler: My mate has said that I should only be looking at the Corsair H110i as its quiet and offers the best cooling without going the full watercooling setup, but is it really worth £100 of my well earned money, especially for an inexperienced overclocker who will probably only use the 'auto oc' option

Any help or advice is welcomed

Sam

Soldato
Keep the following:

- SSD
- HDD
- PSU
- GPU

I wouldn't go for an i7 if you're not going to use more than one card or any photo/video editing - you really won't benefit from the extra power.

I'm not sure the M2 is really worth the premium over a standard SSD but that's your choice. It's not the theme you've asked for but it gives you an idea! I also wouldn't really suggest an AIO, either go custom loop or get a decent air cooler as their life expectancy isn't great - mine was on it way out close to 2 years on.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £521.21
(includes shipping: £12.30)

The 970 should be fine at 1080p but if you're really wanting to upgrade your GPU, go for eh 480 or GTX 1070

Associate
OP
@snips86x I've got the Corsair case already.... so in that case, I've spent £434... am I better getting the i7 with the extra budget or saving towards a 1070 or the M2 / SSD

Associate
OP
Do you think it makes more sense to save £100 or so on the CPU and go with an i5 6600k as opposed to a i7 6700k? Will I notice much difference in games?

Soldato
Imo you're at a point where for the performance you want you'll need a lot more £. You already have a good PC but to put it over the edge, especially for that >100hz in newer games, you're gonna need a much stronger GPU, something like the 1070 (or another 970), and even then that will need a heavy OC. Fact is, >100hz is simply not a priority for developers and most AAA games don't do that well with it and the hardware grunt required to sustain something like that is immense.

So if that's why you want to upgrade, I'm afraid the i5 6600k alone won't be enough to help you get there. Be happy with what you have right now, or up your budget.

Associate
I am in the same boat. Saving for a new gpu

I currently have,

Intel i5-4460 3.2 quad core
12GB (2x6GB)
120GB SanDisk SSD
2TB Sata iii HDD
EVGA 600B Bronze 600 watt power supply unit.

Permabanned
I've played the Alpha and get minimum 100FPS at 1440p
All Ultra, DOF and Motion Blurr - Off, Default Automatic 42% resolution scale for my native resolution.

Bearing in mind it's an Alpha and there were no optimized drivers the performance was pretty good for a full server.

Specs:
980ti - 1500Mhz
3770K - 4.7Ghz

You don't need to go crazy with your build, your 970 will play it fine.

Soldato
Yeah, but let's not forget the 980ti is almost twice as good as a 970 and your OC + it being an i7 will also add a lot to it. For what OP wants, it's still far from what he has.

Back
Top Bottom