pc gone kaput.

Associate
Hi. yesterday i was doing asome gaming as usual when my screez went all fuzzy for a few seconds then the pc just shut off.

So i tried to restart after a few seconds but nothing, would not power on at all. there is power going to the mobo because all the peripherals are lit up ie:mouse lights keyboard wifi adapter etc.

ive so far took it apart and rebuilt it. And when i connected the 24 pin power connector it powered up for a split second then again nothing.

The RAM is fine tested in kids pc, PSU fine, GPU fine, HDD fine, i just cant test the mobo or cpu as i don't have another pc that i can test with, the kids run 1st gen core i.

Any suggestions would be great. thanks.

specs

i5 4670k
gigabyte z87 something.
1tb hdd segate
teamgroup vulc orange ram.
superflower 550w psu.
r9 290x
corsair cab 200r
ridiculously big H+F
nothing overclocked.

Last edited:
Associate
A board failure is more likely than a CPU failure, especially if nothing has been overclocked and everything else has been proven to work.

Associate
Does look like your motherboard has given up - being a z87 I can't imagine it's within warranty period. Replacing that _should_ hopefully fix your issue, unless for some reason there's a shortage going on within the case.
Have you tried testing it with the motherboard outside of the case at all? Take it out, rest it on a piece of cardboard or another non-conductive surface (mind out for static electricity, don't put it on a carpet lol!) and then plug one ram stick in, the gpu, and see if it'll fire up as normal. If that fails, motherboard is almost certianly the culprit as CPUs are very resilient things.

Associate
OP
the mobo is 2 years old does gigabyte not do 3 years? plus everything was bought from here too. will speak with OCUK Support tomorrow if possible, monday if not. Im sure they would be happy to help as i have heard great stuff regarding there CS, thats why i went with OCUK to buy everything.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd do what Tropical said before returning it. Remove all peripherals and take out the internals you don't need to power it on - all ram sticks but one, PCIe cards etc.

Back
Top Bottom