***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
My X34A just arrived ~15 minutes ago, and I have to say the state of the box it's been delivered in is the worst I've ever seen! Tears and holes on all sides! Debating whether or not to even open it at the moment. Worried this is a preused unit, or else, DPD have done a horrendous job in looking after this in transit. Will report back once I've decided what to do. Not how I wanted delivery day to go :(

Edit: Did anybody else's X34A box arrive in bad shape? And can anybody recommend a free image hosting site where I can upload pictures of the box hassle free without having to create an account?

Mine arrived in similar condition mate, and I ahem, returned it back in that condition. Had a big hole in the grab handle? and broken polystryrene, in all honesty looked like it had been opened.
I was happy with the screen just prefer the 4k predator monitor instead so bought that.

Associate
Mine arrived in similar condition mate, and I ahem, returned it back in that condition. Had a big hole in the grab handle? and broken polystryrene, in all honesty looked like it had been opened.
I was happy with the screen just prefer the 4k predator monitor instead so bought that.

Well, now at least I know I'm not the only one. And yes, the grab handle on one side of the box was torn. I'm pretty set on this screen though so if I do return it then I'll be asking for a replacement.

Physically the monitor is in perfect condition. Not a single fingerprint, including my own on the whole thing. I'm satisfied this is a new unit. Haven't got around to testing it yet though. Plan to dedicate hours tomorrow and the day after putting this thing through its paces to examine for any of the various issues that have affected the X34.

Associate
Physically the monitor is in perfect condition. Not a single fingerprint, including my own on the whole thing. I'm satisfied this is a new unit. Haven't got around to testing it yet though. Plan to dedicate hours tomorrow and the day after putting this thing through its paces to examine for any of the various issues that have affected the X34.

Good to know! Mines in the mail right now.
Out of interest, what sort of activities will you perform in your hours of testing for potential issues?

Associate
Good to know! Mines in the mail right now.
Out of interest, what sort of activities will you perform in your hours of testing for potential issues?

Sorry for the late response. In brief, I've done the following:

Firstly I checked for colour banding/ various other things using the Eizo monitor test software linked below. All okay.

http://www.eizo.be/support/monitortest.html

To test for dead/ stuck pixels, I've carefully examined the monitor against solid white/ black/ red/ green blue backgrounds. No faulty pixels detected.

I examined BLB in a pitch black room with the monitor set to 100% brightness. I found the amount of BLB on my unit to be quite acceptable and not distracting, especially once I turned the brightness back down to something more reasonable.

Scan lines I've tested for using the Nvidia G Sync pendulum demo at various (static) refresh rates. I've found that my monitor does have them, but they only appear at lower refresh rates and are only barely noticeable if I put my face right up against the screen. They're a non-issue at any sort of normal viewing distance.

Coil whine I didn't have to go looking for - it found me!! Audible from normal sitting distance and most annoying during general use and web browsing. The monitor is going back for this reason. It irritates me enough that I've decided I can't live with it.

To check for coil whine, I advise using the following web page - this induced the loudest amount of coil whine for me:

http://thume.ca/screentunes/

Soldato
Pulled the trigger on on X34a from overclockers this evening. Coming on Saturday. Will be interested to see how the 980Ti copes with it on The Division.

Soldato
Can someone convince me why an X34A is better than (for example) a SAMSUNG UE43KS7500? Which is fairly reasonably priced.

This is coming from someone that has used TV's as monitors for quite a while now, so may well be biased.

For use with a 980ti and Xbox One / TV.

Seems for productivity, the Samsung would be better with the greater resolution, for Xbox the TV can do 21ms in game mode (so v.good), and the panel is a true 10bit one so will be able to do proper HDR. Also the TV has better speakers, smart features, remote controls etc.

The X34A has Gsync, which i'm not entirely convinced of it's usefulness anyway. Apart from that it seems to get a lot of flak for coil whine and poor uniformity... both of which are unacceptable at the price range.

Can't quite understand why the X34A is "better" than a high end TV.

Soldato
Can someone convince me why an X34A is better than (for example) a SAMSUNG UE43KS7500? Which is fairly reasonably priced.

This is coming from someone that has used TV's as monitors for quite a while now, so may well be biased.

For use with a 980ti and Xbox One / TV.

Seems for productivity, the Samsung would be better with the greater resolution, for Xbox the TV can do 21ms in game mode (so v.good), and the panel is a true 10bit one so will be able to do proper HDR. Also the TV has better speakers, smart features, remote controls etc.

The X34A has Gsync, which i'm not entirely convinced of it's usefulness anyway. Apart from that it seems to get a lot of flak for coil whine and poor uniformity... both of which are unacceptable at the price range.

Can't quite understand why the X34A is "better" than a high end TV.

Have you tried G-Sync? You're saying you're not convinced but what are you basing that on? It's pretty much essential at 4K, which is further limited by the 60Hz panels in every TV. And 21ms isn't "very good", it's actually very poor. The X34 is 4ms.

Soldato
Have you tried G-Sync? You're saying you're not convinced but what are you basing that on? It's pretty much essential at 4K, which is further limited by the 60Hz panels in every TV. And 21ms isn't "very good", it's actually very poor. The X34 is 4ms.

No, but with v-sync forced on you rarely get screen tear anyway?

21ms is good by TV standards, which consoles are designed for... so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Soldato
No, but with v-sync forced on you rarely get screen tear anyway?

21ms is good by TV standards, which consoles are designed for... so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Well I certainly noticed when I went from a non-GSync panel to one that had it. Others will echo that I'm sure. I don't think you can dismiss without trying. V-Sync won't help with the drops in the lower frame rates, minus 40 especially. Do a bit of research in to exactly what G-Sync does.

For TV yeah, that's probably as good as you'll get, and sure for console no problem. But you were asking in relation to the X34, and it's not a TV or for console use. It's for high end PC gaming. If your interest is more TV and console with casual PC use, then go with the TV, simple. :)

Associate
Well according to TFTC there are also certain few other panels, which may have already started production by now. I'm talking about the AU Optronics ones. Its all there on TFTCentral News section.

Soldato
Bought Fallout 4 in the steam sale yesterday..
Went to play it today and it doesn't support 3440x1440 without editing it and installing mods...:(

You would have expected fairly new games like this to support Ultra Wide 21:9 & high Resolutions..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom