Civilization VI

Soldato
OP
I'm happy to pre-order it even after BE (which isn't terrible, but is very average), but I'm not pre-ordering for £50. Will keep an eye on other retailers until it gets around £30 ish.

Soldato
I'm happy to pre-order it even after BE (which isn't terrible, but is very average), but I'm not pre-ordering for £50. Will keep an eye on other retailers until it gets around £30 ish.

It's been £29.99 on cdkeys since they put it up. £28.49 after the 5% Facebook code.

Permabanned
You've just reminded me that I had couple of sick days when Civ 5 came out. I was actually ill, good timing though. :)

You must have been gutted. It was dreadful when it came out.

Honestly the game could be potato quality in the graphics department but if they have nailed the strategy / core game....

If you see a deep and thought-provoking strategy game underneath those cartoony graphics you are in for a big shock.

You can play this game on a tablet with ease because it's simple. Trying doing the same with EUIV.

Soldato
EU IV and Civilization aren't at all in a same category. I love both but one is for casual play and the other takes months.

And no I enjoyed Civ 5 on release, if anything the first expansion ruined it for me. After 2nd I could play Civ 5 again.

Soldato
OP
If you see a deep and thought-provoking strategy game underneath those cartoony graphics you are in for a big shock.

You can play this game on a tablet with ease because it's simple. Trying doing the same with EUIV.

This is just utter nonsense. Why can't it be "deep and thought-provoking" because it has "cartoony" graphics? Purely because of the graphics? And what makes it simple? We've haven't seen that much of the game to make any judgement either for or against it's complexity. You have no idea how well Civ VI would run on a tablet, assuming it would purely because it has "cartoony" graphics is garbage.

Also, you can play EU4 on a tablet.

esoteric said:
It's been £29.99 on cdkeys since they put it up. £28.49 after the 5% Facebook code.

Nice! Thanks :)

Soldato
Still can't decide what to think, I've seen various articles saying how great the changes they've made are, but when I actually read the articles they don't seem to really make it sound that amazing. I'm fine with the graphics, just worried in case they have simplified elements of the game.

Still tempted to pre-order but if I do I'll probably go digital deluxe, so its more of a gamble, but I figure I'm going to want all the DLC and if I get anywhere near as many hours out of this game as I did with Civ5 then it will certainly be value for money!

Soldato
Hmmm, pre orders....

Loved the hell out of civ5, my second highest hours played of any game after skyrim, be didnt do it for ke but mostly because i preferr the historical comparisons and role playing 5 gave you.

Permabanned
Why can't it be "deep and thought-provoking" because it has "cartoony" graphics? Purely because of the graphics?

And what makes it simple? We've haven't seen that much of the game to make any judgement either for or against it's complexity.

You have no idea how well Civ VI would run on a tablet, assuming it would purely because it has "cartoony" graphics is garbage.

Also, you can play EU4 on a tablet.

I never said that it can't be, I'm saying it won't be. And why would it? The focal point is the goofy artwork and how vibrant the colours are, not how they've enhanced the gameplay.

And it is simple. Not exactly an intimidating look is it? With its pointless day/night cycles, and insta-build disappearing workers because, and I quote, "people didn't like how long it takes workers to build improvements". I personally loved watching my workers transform the landscape over the eras.

But what they're really saying is "we want to streamline our game as much as possible so we can port it onto tablets/phones and reach out to the masses". Made more obvious by the aforementioned pretty day/night cycles, and the horrible FOW clearly designed to reduce system load.

As for EUIV, the ability to install it on a tablet does not qualify as 'playing' This on the other hand, everything above right up to the UI has been designed with touch-screen functionality in mind. Really if you think there's even a modicum of complexity retained from its predecessors you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Soldato
I never said that it can't be, I'm saying it won't be. And why would it? The focal point is the goofy artwork and how vibrant the colours are, not how they've enhanced the gameplay.

Is it though? I wouldn't say the developers have massively focussed on showing everyone how it looks over everything else, I'd say its more that everyone is obsessed with the graphical changes.

I don't disagree with your comment about workers though, and I also share the concern that maybe the gameplay is going the same way as the graphics, but I hope I'm wrong.

Soldato
OP
I must admit the worker thing was a bit odd as I like the way workers are at the moment in Civ 5 but I don't know enough about the overall game to see how well they fit in.

Also, read today also that Christopher Tin is doing the Civ 6 theme \o/

Permabanned
Is it though? I wouldn't say the developers have massively focussed on showing everyone how it looks over everything else, I'd say its more that everyone is obsessed with the graphical changes.

Yup, in the E3 video he just talks about the artwork mostly, and other stuff I've already mentioned.

When asked about strategy, he said something about tile improvements and an enemy city surrounded by factories would be their industrial base and a good war goal (you don't say.)

On the topic of workers, he also stated there is zero automation now. So you will have to do decide yourself what you want to build. And since the city radius is the same as CIV 5, I can see upgrading every tile for every city you have quickly becoming a monotonous task.

On the flip side though, there are some positives I like..

No more universal happiness.
Wonders unique to the landscape and not civic dependent. I don't like how cities are limited to x amount of buildings/wonders.

I know, scrapping the barrel..

Soldato
Ah right, I've not seen that video. I'm not massively bothered about the lack of automation for workers as I didn't use that much, but they just seem like a completely different thing now really. The other thing is they talk about these buildings and improvements you can construct on tiles and the benefits like its a new thing, but its the same as now just that they're going on their own tiles (though that in itself is something I like).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On the topic of workers, he also stated there is zero automation now. So you will have to do decide yourself what you want to build. And since the city radius is the same as CIV 5, I can see upgrading every tile for every city you have quickly becoming a monotonous task.

For me thats a non-issue as I never used the automation anyway, I have always done all the tile upgrading myself.

Associate
I don't know, I love the civ games but after playing 5 then paying 50 upfront for that last sim city game. I just don't think they can push these old games anymore. All it is is a bit more paint I will get it if the reviews are amazing or when it is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom