The next Conservative Leader thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
BBC says Leadsom is about to quit the leadership race.

So does May become PM by default, or does Gove run against her?
As Gove wasn't selected by Conservative MPs to go to membership vote I don't see how he would be back in. Leadsom, if she quits, has left the leadership election AFTER the final two were selected so surely this is now effectively a coronation of Theresa May as leader of the Conservative party and PM in waiting once the 1922 Committee decide how to proceed and May and Cameron agree on a handover date.

Associate
Presumably all the Brexiters who banged on and on about lack of democracy in the EU are perfectly happy that we will have an unelected PM?

And that not one of the leading Brexiteers has the guts to hang around and oversee the forthcoming cluster****? Star it out fully next time please

#Takebackcontrol.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29767294 said:
These pro-Brexit politicians do love to give up and run off once given a chance of implementing what they campaigned for don't they..

:rolleyes:

Boris dropped out as he lost his key ally. Leadsom withdrew because she thought she couldn't win it. There is nothing exceptional about either of those decisions and it doesn't reveal anything about the strength of the Brexit argument.

FuriousGeorge said:
Presumably all the Brexiters who banged on and on about lack of democracy in the EU are perfectly happy that we will have an unelected PM?

The UK does not elect its PM. May is an elected MP and if she is the leader of the largest party, she is PM by default. That is how our system works and is well understood by anyone with a drop of intelligence.

Soldato
:rolleyes:

Boris dropped out as he lost his key ally. Leadsom withdrew because she thought she couldn't win it. There is nothing exceptional about either of those decisions and it doesn't reveal anything about the strength of the Brexit argument.

I don't believe that for a second (that she couldn't win it). Her populist rhetoric was going down a storm with the membership. Maybe the rumours of a split if she won were serious, or maybe she just decided the whole situation would be too much of a mess.

Soldato

And that not one of the leading Brexiteers has the guts to hang around and oversee the forthcoming clusterxxxx?

#Takebackcontrol.

we elect MP's who select their leader candidates who are then chosen by the party membership. Seems perfectly democratic to me for the system we run in the UK

Soldato
I don't believe that for a second (that she couldn't win it). Her populist rhetoric was going down a storm with the membership. Maybe the rumours of a split if she won were serious, or maybe she just decided the whole situation would be too much of a mess.

Well frankly I don't think Leadsom is quite ready to be PM. She doesn't have the depth of experience May has, and I say that as someone who favoured Leadsom over May. Perhaps Leadsom looked in the mirror and realised that was the case.

Withdrawing is better than losing in terms of her future prospect for a leadership bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom