• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Associate
Any capture tools for video for amd cards in vulkan? No luck with obs or maybe I have wrong settings or something.

I was able to use OBS in display capture mode. But the game has to be set to borderless with vsync on for that to work (all hell :)cool:) breaks loose otherwise). AMDMatt says he managed to use Action in borderless mode (edit: as above! ^).

Last edited:
Associate
You AMD guys need FastSync. Really does work a treat :cool:

placebo effect much :D
there is a reason why no one did a review on fastsync yet, something isn't working as intended, and nvidia is holding reviews on that feature for now.
or if you could do a review that would be great, just add latency to the OSD, and compare it between Vsync/double/tripple buffering, and for tearing testing you play a game and turn the camera in circles, then reduce the speed of the video recorded to have an easy way to spot tearing.
it would be really interesting, and i am sure you will get HUGE viewing on youtube, since you will be the only one, i think you can easily get few hundred thousand view or couple millions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
placebo effect much :D
there is a reason why no one did a review on fastsync yet, something isn't working as intended, and nvidia is holding reviews on that feature for now.
or if you could do a review that would be great, just add latency to the OSD, and compare it between Vsync/double/tripple buffering, it would be really interesting, and i am sure you will get HUGE viewing on youtube, since you will be the only one.

It works really well if you are running a 144Hz sync and capable of around 180+fps when you need it - but in most other situations falls apart atleast on the setups I've been able to try it on 60Hz has been a complete stutter fest and 120Hz intermittently falls apart. In conjunction with G-Sync 1-2 racing games ran quite nicely with it even when they were dropping framerate as well - really really smooth and responsive in situations that usually you'd feel the input lag as they seemed to be recovering faster from drops in those moments when lots was happening. (Not sure why those games particularly benefited but probably some technical reason).

Last edited:
Soldato
It works really well if you are running a 144Hz sync and capable of around 180+fps when you need it - but in most other situations falls apart atleast on the setups I've been able to try it on 60Hz has been a complete stutter fest and 120Hz intermittently falls apart. In conjunction with G-Sync 1-2 racing games ran quite nicely with it even when they were dropping framerate as well - really really smooth and responsive in situations that usually you'd feel the input lag as they seemed to be recovering faster from drops in those moments when lots was happening. (Not sure why those games particularly benefited but probably some technical reason).

I see fast sync has just a fancy word for limiting the frame rate. Instead of using vsync, use fast sync.
On amd the user is best using FRTC and limited the frame rate just below the max refresh rate.

From my reading fast sync can only work if your frame rate is well above the refresh rate of the monitor and if the frame rate drops randomly in and out of the max refresh rate you get horrible stutter.
Gregster must run all his games well over his 140hz 1080 is powerful and all that.

Permabanned
I used Mirillis Action, AMD APP, run the game in borderless window mode. 15FPS performance hit.

2WlbirW.jpg

Note: The free version has a watermark.

I wish I'd never bothered buying Fraps, It insists in reducing my fps to around 30 even on games that run in the 70's & 80's when just playing, It never used to do it but I've since given up on doing vid's anyway, I did try the free version of Mirillis a while back but still hold out hope for AMD to offer something with a small performance hit like Nvidia do.

Man of Honour
I see fast sync has just a fancy word for limiting the frame rate. Instead of using vsync, use fast sync.
On amd the user is best using FRTC and limited the frame rate just below the max refresh rate.

From my reading fast sync can only work if your frame rate is well above the refresh rate of the monitor and if the frame rate drops randomly in and out of the max refresh rate you get horrible stutter.
Gregster must run all his games well over his 140hz 1080 is powerful and all that.

It isn't just limiting framerate - its a mechanism that allows a game to potentially generate a new valid frame much earlier than normally possible in vsync capped situations and with much better results (when it is working) than any kind of framerate cap in conjunction with vsync.

Last edited:
Associate

Except fast sync doesn't limit the framerate at all, and due to having a ridiculously small (less than 1 frame) delay, results in no input lag.

Fast Sync lets the GPU render as much as it wants, and only sends exactly as many frames per second to the display as are required to match the refresh rate (only when framerate > refresh rate, obviously), but doesn't improve framepacing like G-sync does.

Also, it works on any display. Not just piddly monitors.

Soldato
Except fast sync doesn't limit the framerate at all, and due to having a ridiculously small (less than 1 frame) delay, results in no input lag.

Fast Sync lets the GPU render as much as it wants, and only sends exactly as many frames per second to the display as are required to match the refresh rate (only when framerate > refresh rate, obviously), but doesn't improve framepacing like G-sync does.

Also, it works on any display. Not just piddly monitors.

Yes I know, while it doesn't work the same way a normal frame limiter would like vsync the outcome is the same.

Vsync adds input lag, while fast sync removes this. Both add stutter though much worst than input lag.

The best way is just disable vsync if running Gsync or freesync and limit the frame rate one below Max refresh rate. Zero input lag and no stutter.

Fast sync will only benefit people without Gsync and who can keep a solid frame rate above there max refresh rate.

Associate
hmm, can't find an option to enable Vulkan, I am guessing my Doom runs on OpenGL.
Playing in 3600 x 2036, Ultra and Nightmare I was getting between 70 and 98 FPS.

Running 368.69 drivers, through Steam and Doom demo, I've seen the option to choose between Vulkan and OpenGL right above the custom settings in Gregster's videos. I have nothing above that so I am either missing something obvious or I need to buy the game for that option to appear.

I ran it in 1080 just for kicks and laughs, I saw numbers between 90 and 190 fps, averaging at about 160 most of the time. Had to turn off G-Sync though otherwise I was locked at 60 fps

Last edited:
Soldato
hmm, can't find an option to enable Vulkan, I am guessing my Doom runs on OpenGL.
Playing in 3600 x 2036, Ultra and Nightmare I was getting between 70 and 98 FPS.

Running 368.69 drivers, through Steam and Doom demo, I've seen the option to choose between Vulkan and OpenGL right above the custom settings in Gregster's videos. I have nothing above that so I am either missing something obvious or I need to buy the game for that option to appear.

Most likely not supported in the demo.

Caporegime

FastSync DOES NOT limit the frame rate. Seriously, your last few posts are massively wrong bud and you should really have a read up on what FastSync does. When I go over my 144Hz refresh rate, FastSync kicks in and does a fantastic job according to my eyes. No tearing and no stuttering that I have ever noticed anyways and that's where it is at for me.

Soldato
FastSync DOES NOT limit the frame rate. Seriously, your last few posts are massively wrong bud and you should really have a read up on what FastSync does. When I go over my 144Hz refresh rate, FastSync kicks in and does a fantastic job according to my eyes. No tearing and no stuttering that I have ever noticed anyways and that's where it is at for me.

I know lol
For the last time, it's benefit is to remove screen tear and input lag, but has the same trade off has vsync that it can stutter real bad if you drop the frame rate below refresh rate.

It doesn't matter if it don't limit the frame rate. It's method is very similar.
FastSync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames @144fps = no screen tear or input lag. Chance of stuttering

Vsync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear but does have input lag and stutter.

Limited frame rate. With either Gsync or freesync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear, no input lag or stutter.

End of the day, it doesn't matter if it's limited frame rate the outcome remains the same. It's just another method of removing vsync stutter & input lag only any use to someone without Gsync or freesync.

Back
Top Bottom