• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Man of Honour
I know lol
For the last time, it's benefit is to remove screen tear and input lag, but has the same trade off has vsync that it can stutter real bad if you drop the frame rate below refresh rate.

It doesn't matter if it don't limit the frame rate. It's method is very similar.
FastSync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames @144fps = no screen tear or input lag. Chance of stuttering

Vsync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear but does have input lag and stutter.

Limited frame rate. With either Gsync or freesync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear, no input lag or stutter.

End of the day, it doesn't matter if it's limited frame rate the outcome remains the same. It's just another method of removing vsync stutter & input lag only any use to someone without Gsync or freesync.

You are missing how Fast Sync works - in a traditional vsync and/or vsync with frame limit situation the game simply doesn't produce extra frames and can take additional time to recover from dips in framerate - with Fast Sync the game keeps ticking over as fast as it can while not all those frames are used some are and the result is lower input latency and faster recovery from low framerate situations.

Caporegime
I know lol
For the last time, it's benefit is to remove screen tear and input lag, but has the same trade off has vsync that it can stutter real bad if you drop the frame rate below refresh rate.

It doesn't matter if it don't limit the frame rate. It's method is very similar.
FastSync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames @144fps = no screen tear or input lag. Chance of stuttering

Vsync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear but does have input lag and stutter.

Limited frame rate. With either Gsync or freesync
144hz @180fps = perfectly matched frames no screen tear, no input lag or stutter.

End of the day, it doesn't matter if it's limited frame rate the outcome remains the same. It's just another method of removing vsync stutter & input lag only any use to someone without Gsync or freesync.

You clearly didn't know and your exact words were "I see fast sync has just a fancy word for limiting the frame rate."

At least put your hands up when you are wrong and as for the stutters when you go under the refresh rate, G-Sync kicks in, so no stutter. You have no clue what you are going on about as clearly evident by your responses. Not once have I seen any stutter when dropping from 150 fps+ to under my monitors top refresh rate. Doom is a classic example, as frames can be massively high (150+) and then drops down to 90, so if there was an inherent issue, I would have seen it.

Caporegime
Oh dear, go get some sleep dude. You are clearly knackered and running on empty. Thanks for posting the vids though. Totally appreciated. :D

I hate knowing that things are wrong and the last vid amended my error. Plus I got the tinmings a bit better and slowed down the video in a couple of places so you can see exactly how they compare. It wouldn't be me if I didn't make a mistake here and there :D

Man of Honour
^^ Fast Sync stutters in many situations at the moment but that is due to issues with it rather than how it should work.

Soldato
this async compute to me seems odd.

On the one hand we told its just one small part of next gen gfx api.

On the other hand it seems to create the bulk of performance enhancement on AMD cards.

Is it developers are just choosing to work on async compute and ignoring the other benefits of next gen api? or is async ompute actually the biggest place to get gains in which case shame on nvidia for ignoring it.

Also regarding vsync.

vsync only causes stutter when the game cannot maintain the target framerate, so people claiming vsync stutters on games like cs go which cards can easily achieve 60fps are misleading. I can see how fast sync can cause more stutter than vsync in that situation simply because fast sync gives the gpu no breathing room, it is fully utilised rendering at a high framerate meaning if it has an issue it has no leg room to compensate and will stutter.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
You clearly didn't know and your exact words were "I see fast sync has just a fancy word for limiting the frame rate."

At least put your hands up when you are wrong and as for the stutters when you go under the refresh rate, G-Sync kicks in, so no stutter. You have no clue what you are going on about as clearly evident by your responses. Not once have I seen any stutter when dropping from 150 fps+ to under my monitors top refresh rate. Doom is a classic example, as frames can be massively high (150+) and then drops down to 90, so if there was an inherent issue, I would have seen it.

I do know what am talking about lol that's why I called it just a fancy way of limiting the frame rate. Listen am not dissing the tech am sure it has its use. But for me I wouldn't touch it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
FastSync DOES NOT limit the frame rate. Seriously, your last few posts are massively wrong bud and you should really have a read up on what FastSync does. When I go over my 144Hz refresh rate, FastSync kicks in and does a fantastic job according to my eyes. No tearing and no stuttering that I have ever noticed anyways and that's where it is at for me.

Will be testing FastSync on my 4K monitor which is 60Hz, so it should be easier to reach :)

To be honest I am not even too bothered about it, but any improvements are always welcome I say. I played and completed Doom on OpenGL getting between 25-45fps at 4K Ultra settings on my 290 and perfectly enjoyed that :D

Soldato
Nothing better than a API releasing and showing great benefits. Hopefully more devs jump at this, will really give Microsoft a push.

Vulkan means more choice of OS we can use also no more drip feed from Microsoft. This one reason I really hope Vulkan does better than directx 12.

indeed, disgusted how MS are using dx12 to try and get people on win10, whilst vulkan is on new and old windows + linux + android.

Man of Honour
I have seen a few people say this, but is this really the case for Doom.

The reviews I have seen put the 480 ahead of the 970 in doom, and these two have similar performance in DX11.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1198-amd-radeon-rx-480/page5.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,14.html

Anyway, more of a question really.

Largely the 970 and 480 perform very close in Doom on Open GL - any significant difference will be down to individual setups i.e. out the box boost the 970 is attaining, etc. one on the lower side of average boosts will be a little slower while one on the better side will generally be a little faster than the 480 in Doom.

Caporegime
Will be testing FastSync on my 4K monitor which is 60Hz, so it should be easier to reach :)

To be honest I am not even too bothered about it, but any improvements are always welcome I say. I played and completed Doom on OpenGL getting between 25-45fps at 4K Ultra settings on my 290 and perfectly enjoyed that :D

Fair one and you will probably notice better with those fps than I can at 150+ fps. G-Sync is still the Bee's Knee's for me though and like the SSD was to HDD's.

Soldato
My last post on this now Gregster you already made this thread OT.

If you getting 180fps for example and have 144hz monitor fast sync will sync one perfect frame fast each time to remove screen tear and input lag. Now that still = 144fps so even if you getting 180fps OSD you really only getting 144fps synced = frame rate limited

It's just another fancy method.

Associate
Largely the 970 and 480 perform very close in Doom on Open GL - any significant difference will be down to individual setups i.e. out the box boost the 970 is attaining, etc. one on the lower side of average boosts will be a little slower while one on the better side will generally be a little faster than the 480 in Doom.

I agree in that instance, but was mainly using it as an example, was wondering if it is generally the case, i.e., is AMD poor in openGL.

The point being the "poor" performance of AMD in openGL has been used to explain the gains in vulkan, rather than vulkan actually offering a real improvement.

The opposite being true for Nvidia, as openGL performance is already good so there is no gain in vulkan.

My point was the 480-970 comparison suggest this is not the case.

As suggested, I am raising this as a question rather than a statement.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Fair one and you will probably notice better with those fps than I can at 150+ fps. G-Sync is still the Bee's Knee's for me though and like the SSD was to HDD's.

I can understand that. But it is no way near anything like that for me as I am happy to play with Vsync on in most games :p

I tell you one thing I noticed about Doom which really impressed me with the developers. I do not have vsync on and have not seen a single tear in that game and I played it mostly getting low 30's fps. How are they managing that I wonder?

Associate
I used Mirillis Action, AMD APP, run the game in borderless window mode. 15FPS performance hit.

2WlbirW.jpg

Note: The free version has a watermark.

Thanks =) Here is Fury X gameplay with vulkan, hope for crossfire support later so 4k can run higher fps.
Around 15-17fps lower with that recorder like you said. My Fury X got new life in doom now.
Only have a OC 4770K so maybe a newer cpu get some extra fps. Need to convert the video in windows movie maker before youtube would take it.

110-130fps

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks =) Here is Fury X gameplay with vulkan, hope for crossfire support later so 4k can run higher fps.
Around 15-17fps lower with that recorder like you said. My Fury X got new life in doom now.
Only have a OC 4770K so maybe a newer cpu get some extra fps. Youtube take some time for better quality options?

https://youtu.be/PaJMzoS1ZHI

I recommend OBS to record videos. Even on CPU is kinda doing very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi22vnsSTVA

If you have AMD , NVidia or Intel hw to record, pretty much 1-3% maximum what the program takes down.

Back
Top Bottom