does the past still exist ?

Caporegime
Actually that's a bit of a misconception. When we say the universe is expanding, it does not mean it is expanding from a point outwards into "something", but rather all of space-time itself is expanding. To even consider it as expanding into "something" is erroneous as there is nothing "outside" the universe (the word outside doesn't even make sense when considering the universe itself).

So with said, it is not really accurate to say there is a fixed point anywhere in the universe as all points are expanding.

ok great so remove expansion as a concept simply the galaxy's movement though space (not spacial expansion) the sol's tracking though the galaxy and you can still get o a "zero" speed

Soldato
ok great so remove expansion as a concept simply the galaxy's movement though space (not spacial expansion) the sol's tracking though the galaxy and you can still get o a "zero" speed

Well that's the thing, objects moving in space are moving into space which is expanding. Two objects with no appreciable forces on them (assuming that were possible) sat for all intents and purposes still (assuming that too is possible) opposite each other would be "moving" further apart relative to each other. Are they still, or do they have velocity?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Time at home = 2x normal time
Time at work = 0.5x normal time
Time spent shopping with the other half = 0.01x normal time

Soldato
The past is a product of imagination, we can't interact with it so pondering its existance is meaningless. Everything is constantly changing and according to quantum physics, nothing can be measured with 100% accurate precision because measurements require interaction and that causes more change. A magical window into the past would literally change it so you wouldn't be looking into the past, you'b be looking into a different Universe.

Soldato
just wondering if the past still exists or is it instantly gone and only exists in memory but then as the light has to travel from objects we see and our brains have to process this then we never see the present
does the past exist or maybe even the future as well
been thinking about this a lot for some reason

Passage of time is relative to the observer. You always experience the presence as observed by yourself alone. That doesn't have to tally with any other observer.

The theory of an inertial frame of reference worked well in the 16th century, but things have moved on somewhat.

Go read Hawking, Einstein (Special relativity), and Feynman.

Man of Honour
The future however, scary. Some posh bloke with blonde hair launches nukes at Scotland (so not all bad) but then the Welsh invade England with the Irish (which is easily quashed by 3 blokes from Dudley and a spud gun) but after that we realise no more Guinness.

It's a nightmare....though to be honest no more Welsh so dilemma is probably more appropriate.

:D ;)

Soldato
The past does exist and we can travel to it. Not with our current technology, but one day in the future it will become possible.

We have evidence of this.....Jesus!

He had technology far beyond what we have today

Associate
The past does exist and we can travel to it. Not with our current technology, but one day in the future it will become possible.

We have evidence of this.....Jesus!

He had technology far beyond what we have today

It's pretty obvious when you think about it like we have. He first goes back three days after his own death (probably had a typo on his console). Then goes back and using future tech puts a clone of himself in his own mother (the weirdo).
Then... let me think a sec, story gets a bit iffy here...

Right, old Jesus kidnaps young Jesus (explaining why there's no "Jesus, the middle years" stories). Goes off and teaches him how to use the future tech and filling his head about being God.
Young Jesus comes back spouting stuff about him and god (old Jesus) being the same body and curing diseases etc.
We all know what happens next, but what you don't know (and this is Tom Hanks level secret) is that Old Jesus does a switcharoo and frees young Jesus and gets himself crucified.

Reason no one has ever heard from Young (now Old) Jesus is he's gone and gotten himself stuck in a paradoxical time loop. The numpty.

Soldato
It's pretty obvious when you think about it like we have. He first goes back three days after his own death (probably had a typo on his console). Then goes back and using future tech puts a clone of himself in his own mother (the weirdo).
Then... let me think a sec, story gets a bit iffy here...

Right, old Jesus kidnaps young Jesus (explaining why there's no "Jesus, the middle years" stories). Goes off and teaches him how to use the future tech and filling his head about being God.
Young Jesus comes back spouting stuff about him and god (old Jesus) being the same body and curing diseases etc.
We all know what happens next, but what you don't know (and this is Tom Hanks level secret) is that Old Jesus does a switcharoo and frees young Jesus and gets himself crucified.

Reason no one has ever heard from Young (now Old) Jesus is he's gone and gotten himself stuck in a paradoxical time loop. The numpty.

You've been watching predestination haven't you ;)

Hang on, did Jesus have sex with Mary? He's his own father!!!

Associate
You've been watching predestination haven't you ;)

Hang on, did Jesus have sex with Mary? He's his own father!!!

Never heard of it! And I'd like to think he used future tech to put a clone of himself in...

Real kicker is to start that whole cycle I've just put the embryo of the idea into the head of someone. Someone who doesn't know who their real parents are... That's right, the son of God posts in the GD forums. Little wonder the world is a messed up place.
Wait, that means I created organised religion as we know it and... God.
I need to go get another cup of tea.

Associate
Oh, on the whole time thing I'd love it if they could get one of those new fangled ion engines they're developing and whack one on a small probe. Get it to zip around the solar system for a few years until it's at least a double digit % of c and see if it starts falling behind in time compared to us! Would that work? My small brain hurts when it starts trying to comprehend these things.
Much like how two objects moving apart at just over half the speed of light and the total speed object a sees b moving away at still isn't higher than c? How the fudge?!

Associate
Oh, on the whole time thing I'd love it if they could get one of those new fangled ion engines they're developing and whack one on a small probe. Get it to zip around the solar system for a few years until it's at least a double digit % of c and see if it starts falling behind in time compared to us! Would that work? My small brain hurts when it starts trying to comprehend these things.
Much like how two objects moving apart at just over half the speed of light and the total speed object a sees b moving away at still isn't higher than c? How the fudge?!

Would this have something to do with distances shortening the closer to the speed of light you go.

I know what your saying but I'm sure time and distance change and the object is still monitored at 99% speed of light.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom