• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Soldato
shrewsbury_town_fco4skz.png

eNe

eNe

Associate
I'm curious, what are your system specs.

I have an i540/HD6850, so I thought an RX480 would be bottle necked so was waiting for when I can make a new system.

Asus z170 Pro Gaming, i5-6500, 2x8GB ddr4-3000, Samsung 850Pro

I was on Intel HD530 since when I replaced my unlocked Phenom II X3(+1) 720 ;)

Soldato
I'll keep an eye on this!

The worrying thing is where will it draw the extra power from? Thought the pci-e slot and 6 pin were maxed out
A quality PSU should have no issues delivering a full 150W over a 6-pin. Remember that most use the exact same cable for the 6-pin and 8-pin, with two pins split at the end so that it can serve as either. The two additional pins in an 8-pin are merely extra grounds, so it really makes no difference if you draw a full 150W from it without them connected, because the cable is rated for that draw either way. Of course, trying the same with a cheap PSU, or one that has seperate 6-pin and 8-pin cables, would be extremely inadvisable.

Associate
Hmmm glad I ordered the Nitro...

The MM...god it's going to take me ages to get to 1000 posts...I'm mostly a reader, not a poster

You joke but me too. I have been a member here probably 10 years and post when I have questions or answers.

Getting involved in Green Camp/Red Camp or Intel/AMD wars does my head in. By the time I get to 1000, I will be too old to game.

If, however, they worked it on hours spent online reading AMD kicks Nvidia arse or Nvidia does Satan's work on earth I would getting sent Haribos on an hourly basis and an OCUK sponsored discount on MM!!! :D

Soldato
since the power fix i have been mostly too busy playing games maxxed out to post instead of worrying about my pci slot lol

really happy with the sapphire rx 480 8 gig, it is doing exactly what i wanted from a gpu upgrade from the 270x and then some :)

the only game i have tried that seems to have an issue is wolfenstien the new order, random stuttering even when steam overlay says the fps is good while doom hits up to 150 odd lol

any one with that wolenstien game wanna try it on the latest drivers and see how it runs? :)

Soldato
since the power fix i have been mostly too busy playing games maxxed out to post instead of worrying about my pci slot lol

really happy with the sapphire rx 480 8 gig, it is doing exactly what i wanted from a gpu upgrade from the 270x and then some :)

the only game i have tried that seems to have an issue is wolfenstien the new order, random stuttering even when steam overlay says the fps is good while doom hits up to 150 odd lol

any one with that wolenstien game wanna try it on the latest drivers and see how it runs? :)

Wolfenstein is a weird game. Very 'elastic' for an fps. I really don't like how runs. There are some guides online for getting it running better though. P.s. i hate that stupid lazy loading of textures, really ruins the inmersion

Soldato
Wolfenstein is a weird game. Very 'elastic' for an fps. I really don't like how runs. There are some guides online for getting it running better though. P.s. i hate that stupid lazy loading of textures, really ruins the inmersion

hehe aye it doesnt even look good, it seems to run at 60fps then suddenly goes to 40 odd and has massive stutter like a jerky slide show which eventually clears up and the fps in same bit goes back to 60.

edit: yeh the textures loading in is horrible just like rage.

hehe only payed 6 quid for it the other day so all good im just glad doom has a better engine :)

oh tried the new ut earlier nice and smooth with all epic settings :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Think i will prob go for the powercolor devil as long as it is a sensible price. Looking forward to being an owner, the only sticking point will be how the 1060 perform, and i an hoping for reviews before the aibs get released of the 480.

Back
Top Bottom