• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
yea I'm looking at a 480 AIB or a 1060 AIB,which ever is cheaper if they are similar performance...who cares what name is on it when the fps is the same lol

exactly this :) I'd snag up a 480 if the price is right as a 1060 WONT be the same price as a 480 then again if it offers a little uplift in performance is it worth it? only 2 more days from tomorrow we'll find out :)

Caporegime
you'd be suprised even if it is only around 10% faster people would be willing to spend more than 10% extra simply because it's Nvidia, brand loyalty, and like I said it's Nvidia, they know how to sell pretty well. :p typically 9 out of 10 people would buy a Nvidia card it it was the exact SAME in terms of price and performance compared to an AMD card. just the way it is unfortunately, this enables Nvidia to add a little extra on and people will still pay.

Yep, name alone gets these flying off the shelves.

Associate
yea I'm looking at a 480 AIB or a 1060 AIB,which ever is cheaper if they are similar performance...who cares what name is on it when the fps is the same lol

This, I'm a long time ATI buyer but if the 1060 is the right performance at the right price I'd happily switch.

Looking at £250 for a decent 480 so if the 1060 outperforms it and is around the same price I'll be switching to the green team.

Associate
The 960 would put me off getting the 1060 tbh. I hope this one has a bit more longevity in it.

the 960 was DOA as soon as it hit the market IMO, it was barely any faster than a 760 which was barely any faster than a 660 Ti released back in 2012, which 2 years is around the time frame people shopping for a mid range card will upgrade, 660/660Ti was a good upgrade over the 460 the 960 however wasn't a good upgrade for people running a 660 Ti :/

Soldato
The 960 would put me off getting the 1060 tbh. I hope this one has a bit more longevity in it.

Not all x60s have been as disappointing as the 960. The 660 was very strong against the cards it was replacing / competing with. I'm hoping the 1060 is more like a 660 than a 960 in that respect, but until the reviews land we won't know.

Associate
Not all x60s have been as disappointing as the 960. The 660 was very strong against the cards it was replacing / competing with. I'm hoping the 1060 is more like a 660 than a 960 in that respect, but until the reviews land we won't know.

Seems like Nvidia has shifted their price ranges. A 1060 will now cost what a 970 did on release etc. In this sense, I'm not sure that it will be a great deal in comparison to the 660 or others. I do hope I am proved wrong though.

Associate

Hear hear.

I got a 480 for approx £180, if the 1060 starts around £250 (but is 15% faster) I can't really see how that's a difference worthy of £70 tbh.

Especially if both will hit 60fps in 1080p on new titles (as of now) on high/ultra settings. It just doesn't matter to me at that point if both can do it. Buy the cheapest one...

Soldato
Think 1060 might be a dead duck due to higher price than the 480 with less VRAM and less longevity (driver optimisations, async etc)

Nvidia need a bloody nose but I think the masses will buy these cards if not loads more than the 480.

Associate
Hear hear.

Especially if both will hit 60fps in 1080p on new titles (as of now) on high/ultra settings. It just doesn't matter to me at that point if both can do it. Buy the cheapest one...

Yeah exactly. My main gripe is AMD's lack of a true shadowplay competitor. I'm not sure how only Nvidia are the company capable of making some capture software with such minimal performance impact.

Associate
If the 1060 is going to launch at £250+, it really is baffling that AMD haven't ensured a healthy supply of the 4GB 480 for sub-£200.

From what I understand, they were never really meaning to sell many of them. They made some just to achieve the sub-$200 price they promised. I guess they are especially wary to sell more as it would appear that basically all early 4GB models are actually 8GB models. Am also not sure how pricing would work on aftermarket 4GBs, especially if their price starts to approach reference 8GBs.

Back
Top Bottom