• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
From what I understand, they were never really meaning to sell many of them. They made some just to achieve the sub-$200 price they promised. I guess they are especially wary to sell more as it would appear that basically all early 4GB models are actually 8GB models. Am also not sure how pricing would work on aftermarket 4GBs, especially if their price starts to approach reference 8GBs.

I seem to recall Gibbo saying 4GB AIBs would be sub £200 and available August.

Associate
Seems like Nvidia has shifted their price ranges. A 1060 will now cost what a 970 did on release etc. In this sense, I'm not sure that it will be a great deal in comparison to the 660 or others. I do hope I am proved wrong though.

True that, unlikely you'll be wrong I'm afraid though.

From what I understand, they were never really meaning to sell many of them. They made some just to achieve the sub-$200 price they promised. I guess they are especially wary to sell more as it would appear that basically all early 4GB models are actually 8GB models. Am also not sure how pricing would work on aftermarket 4GBs, especially if their price starts to approach reference 8GBs.

And that's just it... the 4GB was just for their nonsense PR while they charge 390 prices for the 8GB version.

I seem to recall Gibbo saying 4GB AIBs would be sub £200 and available August.

August? Now that's just taking the mick. Everyone who wanted 'VR for $199' has to wait far beyond the actual launch for it. If there will be any 4GB AIB cards that is. This gen hasn't been great for GPUs so far. I doubt it'll get better at the mainstream end and of course we'll be wallet-gouged when the true high-end parts release.

Soldato
you'd be suprised even if it is only around 10% faster people would be willing to spend more than 10% extra simply because it's Nvidia, brand loyalty, and like I said it's Nvidia, they know how to sell pretty well. :p typically 9 out of 10 people would buy a Nvidia card it it was the exact SAME in terms of price and performance compared to an AMD card. just the way it is unfortunately, this enables Nvidia to add a little extra on and people will still pay.

But there's a lot more to a graphics card purchase than just price and performance, it's not "simply because it's nvidia". There's the features, the look and feel of the product, the long term experiences people have had with the companies, the quality of the supporting software including drivers etc etc. It's not just down to brand loyalty and marketing or being "just nvidia".

I'd expect GC from AMD in this present time time be a cheaper than the equivelant performing nVidia card simply because overall (not just performance) the product will not be as good in my opinion. If I feel that changes someday then yes I'll re-evaluate.

Please consider others don't have such as simplistic view to a purchase as you may expect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically, saying you think all AMD product is not as good is rather simplistic!

I was going to say you may have a point and happy to say that but not really because I'm someone who has long term experience of buying parts from both companies. I' not just saying the AMD product is not as good without the experience to back it up. As stated, if I feel it changes and I do keep an eye on products from both companies, then will be happy to re-evaluate.

Just one example, if you take a look at the 480 product and the 1060, which one looks cheaper than the other? And that's just a visual observation. Hence, one will already be tempted to pay a bit more for the other part for the same performance or even more so at the same price. If something looks cheaper then you then might question the quality of the components inside. Of course you cannot draw a conclusion really from how it looks but it's easy to assume the worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically, saying you think all AMD product is not as good is rather simplistic!
Maybe you have AMD fans to blame for some of this as there always going on about how cheap AMD GPU's are compared to NVidia GPU's

Which can make AMD GPU's come across classed as a cheap value GPU..

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to say you may have a point and happy to say that but not really because I'm someone who has long term experience of buying parts from both companies. I' not just saying the AMD product is not as good without the experience to back it up. As stated, if I feel it changes and I do keep an eye on products from both companies, then will be happy to re-evaluate.

Just one example, if you take a look at the 480 product and the 1060, which one looks cheaper than the other? And that's just a visual observation. Hence, one will already be tempted to pay a bit more for the other part for the same performance or even more so at the same price. If something looks cheaper then you then might question the quality of the components inside. Of course you cannot draw a conclusion really from how it looks but it's easy to assume the worse.

Quite agree with this. I also keep an eye on things but all AMD can offer at the moment is lower performance for less money and that's not what I am after. As for how the products look and feel, we had even AMD people say that AMD cards are built with the cheapest stuff that can be found, they look and feel cheap and they are cheap. Get what you pay for basically.

It's like the Tesco Value of GPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
It is hilarious, especially when there's £650 reference cards out there that throttle because the cooling is so cheap.

look at it from another point of view, when you are on OpenGL NVidia cards do a lot a better. On Vulkan, which is supposed to still be heavily optimised for AMD cards, Nvidia ones still do better.

In terms of quality, you see people talking about their plastic or cheap screws. You see the RX 480 which looks anything but quality with noisy fan and running really hot. Then you get the ... oh look but I can run 2 x 480 or 2 x or 3 x whatever and I can do better than GTX 1080. This is of course when everyone says that neither SLI not Xfire are actually a good idea, let's not even discuss how the price now becomes £500 just to buy 2 cards which may or may not work in every game.

No worries though, next year or year after we will be amazed with some new stuff which will more than likely give 1070 a run for it's money. Unfortunately, by then, Nvidia will have 1080 TI out and the cycle will repeat itself again.

I've said it many times I cannot wait for AMD to release something amazing, it's just every year they disappoint ... again and again.

Associate
I love it when people go on about the "quality" of disposable electronics products made in a Far East factory city on the same conveyor belts. But,but E-PEEN.

Yes that's exactly why people buy Nvidia cards, e-peen and nothing else. Nothing to do with the fact they are better.

But, but ... dude you can buy value beans for 20p, why pay £2 for the same thing?

Sorry, but that logic doesn't sit well with me. You on the other hand are welcome to buy what you want.

Back
Top Bottom