Poll: Trident - would you renew? (Poll)

Would you renew Trident?

• Yes

Votes: 701 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 250 26.3%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
How would you vote in relation to the potential replacement of the trident nuclear weapons system?

I'd vote not to replace them - too expensive / money could have a more realisable effect elsewhere. Also, can't we just keep using / maintaining the existing ones? Not sure on that.

I expect a huge vote to renew!

Last edited:
Soldato
While I don't see a need for them in this day and age, i do not believe the world is stable enough to dispense with them entirely.
Plus, when Merkel said 'we can't be Switzerland with nukes' I say tough titties , watch us. Just jealous because they are not allowed them :D

Caporegime
Renew

We obviously don't want to be part of any sort of union or globalisation so we better at least have some nukes to stop things going **** up.

Soldato
I have a question. When people say its a waste of money what exactly happens to the money? Does it stay in the UK economy or does it go abroad somewhere never to be seen again?

Caporegime
I wish they'd rather spend that money on the bits of the armed forces that are actually doing the fighting, and even if the UK was nuked by a hostile foreign force would we fire it? I'm not so sure at the moment. Then again though, Trident is the best deterrent available to us, so having it does provide some reassurance in these difficult times. I just can't help feeling that we're putting all our eggs in one basket.

I see Comrade Corbyn is backing away from his Labour manifesto pledge to support the renewal of Trident.

Man of Honour
OP
I have a question. When people say its a waste of money what exactly happens to the money? Does it stay in the UK economy or does it go abroad somewhere never to be seen again?

No doubt there would be jobs in the renewal, but it's more that the end product is 'less practicable' (to say the least) than if the same money were spent on the NHS, infrastructure.... Anything really.

Soldato
Renew of course. Trident isn't a weapon you fire, it's a weapon to stop you being fired upon. This is what people don't understand.

Soldato
Problem is, none of us are clued up on what the best option is. This is why we have people out there, some that are voted, to make said decisions for us.

However, I'd like to think that no nation,that has such weapons, would ever use them again. So i would like to see them gone, or at least heavily reduced a long with a lot of other military spends.

Last edited:
Soldato
In this day and age, no one should need nuclear arms. It would be more sensible to spend the money in convincing everyone to get along and get rid of nuclear attack capabilities.

That said, the entire world seems to be going backwards...

Last edited:
Soldato
No doubt there would be jobs in the renewal, but it's more that the end product is 'less practicable' (to say the least) than if the same money were spent on the NHS, infrastructure.... Anything really.

I thought trident came out ofvthe military budget, which is ringfenced at 2% of gdp. Might be wrong though, but if that's the case I say renew, especially if we are going to be independent.

Back
Top Bottom