• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Caporegime
Hold up. The 1060 is now coming out before the 480. Come on AMD and co, sort it out!

Are people literally mental. The RX480 is out, the 1060 is not, the RX480 has sold what would be 100k+ worldwide easily by now, the 1060 has sold like 5 from a couple of stores selling stock before they were supposed to. The RX480 was out almost a month before the 1060.

Soldato
Are people literally mental. The RX480 is out, the 1060 is not, the RX480 has sold what would be 100k+ worldwide easily by now, the 1060 has sold like 5 from a couple of stores selling stock before they were supposed to. The RX480 was out almost a month before the 1060.

I agree but to keep the momentum going they needed to be out first with AIB's as well.

OcUK Staff
OP
AMD screwed up, no wants the reference and how do you know how many they sold?

LOL.

You do realise reference is pretty much sold out everywhere, why do you think we massively increased our price on the Sapphire, because they are still flying and we cannot get enough.

Don't post absolute BS, as reference has sold exceptionally well.

Associate

that's not what people are talking about. RX 480 was the first to market, true, but I see quite a few people waiting for AIB versions. Looks like Nvidia will manage to launch 1060 with reference and AIB at the same time, in which case AMD will lose sales.

It is strange considering 480 launched several weeks ago. Where are the AIB reviews and where are the AIB cards?

An own goal as others have adequately put it.

Soldato
that's not what people are talking about. RX 480 was the first to market, true, but I see quite a few people waiting for AIB versions. Looks like Nvidia will manage to launch 1060 with reference and AIB at the same time, in which case AMD will lose sales.

It is strange considering 480 launched several weeks ago. Where are the AIB reviews and where are the AIB cards?

An own goal as others have adequately put it.

Exactly! I'm at the point I'm considering paying more and just buying something else at this stage since it's getting ridiculous.

Soldato
LOL.

You do realise reference is pretty much sold out everywhere, why do you think we massively increased our price on the Sapphire, because they are still flying and we cannot get enough.

Don't post absolute BS, as reference has sold exceptionally well.

But reference will be compared against the 1060 in reviews tomorrow and that is the problem. AMD has messed up when they failed to push AIB's into releasing the mass selling custom cards in time for the 1060 launch. Lets face it, most people buy custom cards rather than reference.

Soldato
But reference will be compared against the 1060 in reviews tomorrow and that is the problem. AMD has messed up when they failed to push AIB's into releasing the mass selling custom cards in time for the 1060 launch. Lets face it, most people buy custom cards rather than reference.

I hope we're all pleasantly surprised and some AIB 480's are also with reviewers.

Caporegime
Yea they don't seem to grasp logic sometimes. They have all the tools needed to challenge Nvidia and keep making stupid mistakes. Nvidia can afford to make these kind of mistakes as they have a much bigger forgiving fan base. Amd just can't as they need to gain momentum.

The best thing AMD can do now is like you said and get a Nitro or the likes reviewed this week.

Making a card with around 390 performance for around £200 was always going to be an easy target.

AMD do need to build momentum, they will never do it by coming up with cards that are while good in their own right still very mediocre in the wider scheme of things.

They made a card which it has been obvious for a long time was going to compete directly with the 1060 at a similar price and performance.

The fact is AMD need to be thinking a lot bolder than that, to get that momentum they need to be thinking their cards as the obvious choice, significantly greater performance at a lower price.

It feels like they thought "the 970 did well didn't it? lets do that, literally that and stick 8GB on it"

No, the competition does not stand still.

OcUK Staff
OP

It is not the AIB's fault, AMD over-sold on reference so the GPU went to building more reference to clear those backorders.

Sapphire alone have 5000 backorders on RX 480 reference still to fulfill in just the UK alone, that is the reason.

People post so much BS up, the real reasons are simply RX-480 demand was way way above what AMD could ever predicted. Custom cards go into product this weekend at numerous board partners. :)

Soldato
I hope we're all pleasantly surprised and some AIB 480's are also with reviewers.

That could happen if AMD/AIB's planned to have reviews ready for the same day as the 1060 launch but I'm not holding my breath. More likely it's going to be next week for any reviews.

Maybe Gibbo can provide AMD/AIB's with much needed feedback since they seem to be oblivious of the views of their customers.

edit: Gibbo clarified it a bit further up but I still think they need to get custom card reviews out ASAP, no matter how late they launch.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yea they don't seem to grasp logic sometimes. They have all the tools needed to challenge Nvidia and keep making stupid mistakes. Nvidia can afford to make these kind of mistakes as they have a much bigger forgiving fan base. Amd just can't as they need to gain momentum.

Here lies the problem, amd cards will never have the fanbase nvidia has because the age old accusations of "bad drivers" continue to this day, a reputation amd had back around the time of the rage fury maxx and that was in 1999, here we are 17 years later and a lot of people still believe this to be fact. Its just something that refuses to go away despite the fact amd got their drivers in much better order due to acquiring artx around 2002. Amd drivers have been as good or better than nvidia drivers for over a decade now but that old chestnut still continues to surface.

Both companies have their issues with multi gpu, but the scuttlebutt as always is amd's issues are much worse.

Caporegime
It is not the AIB's fault, AMD over-sold on reference so the GPU went to building more reference to clear those backorders.

Sapphire alone have 5000 backorders on RX 480 reference still to fulfill in just the UK alone, that is the reason.

People post some much BS up, the real reasons are simply RX-480 demand was way way above what AMD could ever predicted. Custom cards go into product this weekend at numerous board partners. :)

Don't worry, it will slow enough once the 1060 goes on sale.

Its a good card but not good enough to build the momentum they need to compete with Nvidia.

In My opinion, and i hope i'm wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom