Another "recommend me Headphone post" but better

Associate
Had my Audio Technica AD700's for years but not enjoying them as much as I used to. Looking to spend between £100 and maybe £300

I'm not an audiophile and have no preferences, I'm alone when I use them so I wont bother anyone with open backed.

Mainly for gaming with some light music use and I already have a mic. I have no external dac/amp and just plug it into my Soundblaster Z.

I'm looking to start using headphones more so they must be comfortable and not fatiguing (I have enough of that in my life).

Free internet points to those that contribute...

Discuss

Associate
If you don't mind sticking with Audio Technica then I highly recommend the ATH-M50x's. I haven't tried every set of headphones under the sun of course, but used to be a DJ so have tried a fair few. These are by far the best sound I have experienced, I have only ever used closed backs though so if you're considering open then others may be able to help there. But I guarantee the ATH-M50x's won't disappoint you.

Associate
OP
No brand preference here. Thanks for those guys, could you elaborate on why you suggested those particular cans? Also a detachable cable would be a bonus but not a must. Also is an external amp or dac needed or recommended?

Last edited:
Associate
The HD650 make you feel the music. Liquid smooth with good resolution and tonal balance. It's just emotional and engaging. No disrespect to the guy who recommended the M50X but I think they are rubbish for music. Good for podcast and on the go listening due to their design but too grainy and cramped sounding they are classics that don't compare to the current range.

Soldato
Read reviews on the HD600/650/AKG K712 Pro and you'll see why they are recommended :p

M50x are garbage. Fantastic if you all you want in headphones is muddy unrefined bass and tiny soundstage, but garbage for everything else. They got huge hype 10+years ago when they first came out because they were genuinely good for the money, but since then the RRP has increased but the sound quality hasnt changed and they've just been left behind by so many cans.

Soldato
Just make sure to give them time as the difference between the sound signatures of your AD700s and the HD650s will be huge.
They may well sound quite muffled in comparison to the bright phones you are used to but if you give your brain a couple of hours that renowned HD650 "veil" will lift and all will be well with the world :)

I actually thought mine were broken :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think brain acclimatisation plays a much bigger part than break in but yes, the drivers will sound better with a little loosening up.

Yeah never noticed any difference other than very minor bass changes with the 600s series in terms of breaking in. What makes the biggest difference is having an amp with lots of voltage and so on to drive them :D

Back
Top Bottom