• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** AMD BACK IN THE GAME: PRICE DROP EXCLUSIVE TO OcUK!! **

Soldato
Nano/Fury is minimum 20% faster than a 390, and in many situations around 50% faster.

That 4GB isn't going to hold it back for a while yet.

4GB already limits the Fury in several titles. Also they are now end of life - AMD are not making any more - if these were capable cards that sold well, they wouldn't have discontinued production....

I'd recommend a 1060 over a Fury any day of the week - 2GB more VRAM, cheaper, 16nm vs 28nm, brand new architecture vs 2 year old Fiji architecture.

Caporegime
They would have put 8GB GDDR5 on their Furys if they could, but they couldn't do it, as they'd have been way way too hot, and they would have needed a power station to run them.

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen a chart of gpu ram usage that shows the hbm cards using less ram than their gddr5 counterparts at the same graphics settings. So 4GB might last longer than we expect. I mean that the cards might run out of grunt to deliver a good framerate before it runs out of ram.

Looking at the steam hardware survey it seems that 8 GB is far from the norm so games won't target this for a while

Man, don't waste your time. He didn't even bother replying to my comment about differences between HBM and GDDR5 and keeps repeating the same (mis)information about 4GB on the Fury not being enough. No idea what people gain from doing stuff like that.

4GB already limits the Fury in several titles. Also they are now end of life - AMD are not making any more - if these were capable cards that sold well, they wouldn't have discontinued production....

I'd recommend a 1060 over a Fury any day of the week - 2GB more VRAM, cheaper, 16nm vs 28nm, brand new architecture vs 2 year old Fiji architecture.

You must be joking, right? Now if you were talking about a 980Ti, which is in the same (and above on DX11 and overclocking) tier as the Fury X, people would actually take you seriously.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Man, don't waste your time. He didn't even bother replying to my comment about differences between HBM and GDDR5 and keeps repeating the same (mis)information about 4GB on the Fury not being enough. No idea what people gain from doing stuff like that.

Its not misinformation, we already have games here now needing more, and theres more coming.

Soldato
You must be joking, right? Now if you were talking about a 980Ti, which is in the same (and above on DX11 and overclocking) tier as the Fury X, people would actually take you seriously.

I'm not joking at all, after having played around with a Fury card, I found it hit it's VRAM limits in a few different games. I personally think people are very foolish spending £300+ on a 4GB GPU in 2016, given the way games are going VRAM wise.

Remember NVIDIA dominate the market, they have a huge market share advantage. Now that their 1070 and 1080 cards have 8GB VRAM, and even their mid range 1060 has 6GB, you can be sure developers will be pressured to increase games VRAM usage.

Deleted member 2277

D

Deleted member 2277

I'm not joking at all, after having played around with a Fury card, I found it hit it's VRAM limits in a few different games. I personally think people are very foolish spending £300+ on a 4GB GPU in 2016, given the way games are going VRAM wise.

Remember NVIDIA dominate the market, they have a huge market share advantage. Now that their 1070 and 1080 cards have 8GB VRAM, and even their mid range 1060 has 6GB, you can be sure developers will be pressured to increase games VRAM usage.

What games?

Soldato

What are you talking about? Between the 1060 and Fury, it's a no brainer, the Fury will be the better card unless your sole concern is power use.

Neither the 1060 or the 480 has the grunt to worry about having more than 4GB of ram. The only place where it might make an actual difference is if you are using a multi-gpu setup.

Soldato

Do you genuinely believe that the 1060 will outperform the Fury because it has 2 extra GB of vram?

Associate
Most of, if not all, game benchmarks shows that the gap between 980TI and Fury narrows as the resolution is increased along with an increase in VRAM requirement.

Hereby, proving that 4 GB of HBM is not comparable to 4 GB of GDDR5.

Not sure why people view 4 GB of HBM as a potential issue while buying 8 GB of weaker GPU or more expensive 980 TI instead.

To be honest, it doesn't matter anyway, in future games GPUs are likely to hit the limit of their horsepower long before hitting the VRAM limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
People do like to say it's not enough, but always go quiet when you ask them for actual examples of games which are causing the Fury range to buckle. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a game which has been held up as an example of one which uses an obscene amount of VRAM. It even comes with its own warning message when you enable Very High textures that you absolutely 100% need a >4GB card for them. So it's perfect to show off the Fury X's crippling minimums as it stutters its way through the game, right?

10100505809ls2s1t.png

Oh. I guess not. But that one's an anomaly! I bet if we looked at another VRAM hog like Shadow of Mordor, we'll see the Fury X exposed!

plotxpun0.png

...Er, maybe we can try XCOM 2?

07174140501lx7js7.png

****! Well, screw all this so-called "evidence" anyway. I know for a fact that 4GB HBM isn't enough and the Fury X is a stutterfest. Take my word for it, guys.

Caporegime
People do like to say it's not enough, but always go quiet when you ask them for actual examples of games which are causing the Fury range to buckle. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a game which has been held up as an example of one which uses an obscene amount of VRAM. It even comes with its own warning message when you enable Very High textures that you absolutely 100% need a >4GB card for them. So it's perfect to show off the Fury X's crippling minimums as it stutters its way through the game, right?

10100505809ls2s1t.png

Oh. I guess not. But that one's an anomaly! I bet if we looked at another VRAM hog like Shadow of Mordor, we'll see the Fury X exposed!

plotxpun0.png

...Er, maybe we can try XCOM 2?

07174140501lx7js7.png

****! Well, screw all this so-called "evidence" anyway. I know for a fact that 4GB HBM isn't enough and the Fury X is a stutterfest. Take my word for it, guys.

Get outta here with that rationale! :D

Associate
Hahaha. You are still trying. And with evidence? You are on a lost cause there buddy.
I have the Fury X since release. Played pretty much any game with my tripple screen setup at 5920x1080, now gaming at 3440x1440 resolution. I also use it with the HTC vive wich is very GPU intense.

Not once had i any issues with the GPU and not once did i run out of VRAM. Yet with all this personal experience I have people keep telling me that my GPU is a VRAM cripple. Nowadays they tell me it is no enough for 1080p.

People go so far to suggest getting a 1060 GTX instead of a Fury because it will be faster. Yeah those extre 2 GB contain rocket fuel.

Accept it. People are stupid idiots not capable of reading.

Associate
4gb HBM isn't comparable to GDDR5 but then people comparing a fury to a 980 Ti yes as the res increases the performance narrows but let's not forget the fury can't overclock for **** now you get a 980 Ti and click it up there to around 1400-1500 and it isn't even close! However at £299 and £349 respectively they're both still fantastic gpus and your not getting bent over on the pricing

Associate
There is a lot of games that require 6GB+ vram on max texture setting even at 1080P.
Rise of the tomb raider, doom 2016, Lords of fallen, shadow of mordor to name few and some games won't let you even enable max texture setting unless you actually have 6GB vram.
Benchmarks don't tell the whole story it's when you stars playing game there are moments where you gonna get terrible stuttering but it's not all the time.
Now maybe some people can live with stuff like that but I can't.

All I can hear here is overkill this overkill that to which I say ********.
For me I need loads of performance buffer so even in those few most demanding moments in games everything stays above 60fps and that's what I call smooth gameplay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom