• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hairworks & Witcher 3 - on or off?

Associate
With AMD cards the hit is pretty minor since you can cap the tessellation factor and lower the anti-aliasing on hair strands while still getting a good visual effect. Think you can only do the latter on nVidia cards.

So I run with hairworks on all on my 7870.

Associate
check driver to see if nvidia added an option to change tessellation complexity ?
i think i heard somewhere that they did but not sure.

Soldato
It is adjustable, so it may be good or bad depending on your preferences.

For me, I turned it off. Solid 60fps was more important for me.

I think in terms of still image quality, it looks worse than having it off, even with high AA settings. As a regular screenshotter, this bothered me, and especially because you spend a lot of time seeing closeups of Geralt where it was most noticeable. Non-Hairworks hair looked better when still.

To make Hairworks not destroy your performance by up to 30-40%, you had to turn down quality level and AA. While Hairworks in its prime form looks fantastic in motion, its a shimmery mess at lower settings. As somebody who is sensitive to aliasing, this bothered me a lot.

My ultimate conclusion, for me personally of course, was that I could deal without Hairworks on Geralt completely and only have it for monsters. The big hunt monsters looked spectacular with Hairworks. But lowering the settings ruined a lot of this.

I could never really find a balance where I found it was worth it. Then again, I run a GTX970. If you had a 980 or especially a 980Ti, I'd probably have made the sacrifice and still been able to hit 60fps. At 1080p, at least....

Back
Top Bottom