Push the button? PM's nuclear options.

Soldato
Now that Trident is being renewed can we have a poll on what option people would choose if they were PM and the government was completely destroyed in a nuclear attack?

New PM's have to write letters to the four captains of the Trident subs with instructions on how to retaliate.

Options:

1. To retaliate.

2. To do nothing.

3. To place the submarine under the control of an ally - specifically the United States Navy or Royal Australian Navy.

4. To act according to how the Captain deems best.

http://news.sky.com/story/may-to-be-handed-keys-to-nuclear-red-button-10499943

Associate
I see no point in retaliation. The whole purpose of Trident is to act as a deterrent, thus if Britain was wiped out by nuclear weapons then at that very moment it would've lost its mission - retaliating would just ensure further unnecessary annihilation.

Soldato
1) Retaliation. There would be small pockets of citizens left in this country there is no point allowing the aggressor to project the full power of the conventional weapons on those people.

Soldato
I see no point in retaliation. The whole purpose of Trident is to act as a deterrent, thus if Britain was wiped out by nuclear weapons then at that very moment it would've lost its mission - retaliating would just ensure further unnecessary annihilation.

Which is why I suspect it's option 3 for most PMs, kicking the can down the road.

Soldato
The purpose of retaliation is not only as a deterrent against an initial strike but to prevent a future nuclear exchange as parties will 'know' that the target will retaliate. Humanity will take a short-term hit in return for a more peaceful future.

So, immediately (or ASAP) retaliate if possible.

Soldato
Option 8: Letter reads "Lol we never really had any nukes, that would be crazy"

Captain takes the crew to the Bahamas for option 5 above.

Soldato
Depends on the scenario I suppose.

If the attackers nuked just one city (London for example) then I'd retaliate with a single nuke. The UK would not be finished after a single nuclear strike, even if the government was destroyed. By retaliating we show our enemies the cost of attacking Britain and hopefully discourage further attacks. Having demonstrated we were still a capable military power would be critical to rebuilding our position in the world.

If they annihilated every major city, then it's a bit more complicated. I would consider it justice to destroy them, but I would not want to do so if it meant our allies were destroyed too, because naturally I wouldn't want the human species destroyed. But if we don't respond it may be our enemies do the same again to our friends or hold them to ransom. It may be nuking them does the rest of the world a favour.

In short: I am more likely to respond than not.

N17

N17

Permabanned
Odd isn't it, out of 186 countries in the world, have NO nuclear weapons, yet the UK does not have enough money to invest in roads, in things for the vulnerable/disabled/elderly, transport, infrastructure..... Yet we can find money to renew Nuclear Weapons AKA Mass Murder tools at £200billion, yes makes more sense now, especially with a looney whom would press the button and kill millions if she had to

Back
Top Bottom