Which camera for vlogging?

Soldato
Hey folks, looking for a new camera to vlog with. So needs to be great for video recording, photos obviously as well but that's secondary for this. :p

I've seen quite a few suggestions, trying to keep it round the £400-550 mark the best I can.

The only 2 that stand out for me though are the believe, currently leaning towards the Panasonic G7. But I'd love something more compact with the same quality...

Not precious if it's 4K or not, but would be nice to future proof and be a nicety.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 (4K capable)
Sony Alpha A6000

Cheers

Associate
I have the Sony and it's amazing, but... It's screen doesn't flip all the way round into 'selfie' mode. Something i'd say was kinda important for VLOGing. Iv'e been watching Casey Niestat vlog's in YouTube for a while now and he recommends the Canon 70d. A bit more than your budget but the 80d has just launched so maybe pick up a second hand one?

Man of Honour
Sony A5100 could be suitable. Screen flips around which is useful.

Not horrendously priced, although for about half the price you could get the older Sony A5000

Associate
I say this in nearly every thread... but G7X.

I went through a 70D, 550D, A7S, iPhone 6s+ and have settled on the G7X. It's the perfect balance between size and video performance.

At the very least try one out, the video files out of this tiny thing are quite something - the colours are very pleasing.

(My use case was taking videos of a new sprog, but similar challengers to vlogging).

Caporegime
The best camera is out of your budget. In order I'd go:

Sony A7S II
Sony A7R II
Sony A6300
Canon 80D

All with Rode Shotgun.

Cheaper options:

Sony A5100
Canon G7X II

The guy asks for a camera for £400-£550 and you lead with cameras that are £2500 body only? Why not suggest a Hasselblad H6D for £30k while you're at it? :D

On a more sensible note you're right to look at the Panasonic range, you can't go wrong with a G7, a refurb GX8 is a good buy too, slightly better sensor but less video focused. Will you be filming on the go or on a tripod?

Last edited:
Suspended
He didn't say he couldn't spend more, just that he'd rather not.

He can always get the 5100 and change it when money allows.

Besides, vloggers buy the A7 series for the five axis image stablisation not for 5K. So if you are going to be a mouthy little 2004 n00b, then get your facts right.

Caporegime
He didn't say he couldn't spend more, just that he'd rather not.

He can always get the 5100 and change it when money allows.

Besides, vloggers buy the A7 series for the five axis image stablisation not for 5K. So if you are going to be a mouthy little 2004 n00b, then get your facts right.

What are you talking about? 5k was a reference to the price of a Sony setup - you know like 10x the price he wants to spend.

I'm not sure if you just don't read posts or lack simple comprehension skills. It's clear he's not looking at cameras in that league. Engage your brain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys for the suggestions. No need for the aggro it's all good! :p Yeah I didn't ask for the best camera ha-ha just one that suits my budget.

@Minstadave I'll be using it on the go really, but will get a gorilla pod for it while in use for a better FOV while using.

So I'm thinking either Panasonic G7, Canon G7X Mk2 or Sony A5100... Currently leaning towards G7 but think the G7X Mk2 is definitely a great pick too! Hmm not sure.

Caporegime
The only reason I mention the gx8 over the g7 is it has body and lens stabilisation in 1080p video which might be useful for on the go filming. The newer GX80 has even better stabilisation and works in 4K too, but isn't ideal as it doesn't have a mic input.

Back
Top Bottom