• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Caporegime
Likely (but I can't 100% confirm), that 1060 was ground up designed for the 14nm process, whereas the RX480 was intended for the failed 20nm process, and then got adapted to 14nm.

If Vega shows better power usage (as it is believed this is designed for 14nm directly), then it will confirm this.

Yeah i get the impression the RX 480 is a bigger version of a shrunk R9 285/380/X.

not that this is a bad thing they are actually very good GPU's.

But i do think Vega is the ground up new GPU and is where the real improvements are.

Soldato
I just caved and ordered the Palit 1060.

I don't currently have a gaming card and I want to have a little dabble again.

My reasons for going for the 1060
Cost similar to RX480, slightly more but also slightly more performance
Power draw much less than the 480
Cool running and quiet

The Pailit says that the fans don't spin at under 50 degrees, meaning I won't have any extra noise on idle.

The 970 is a good buy but again only a bit cheaper with much more power draw.

I just hope I have done the right thing, never owned a Palit card before.

Caporegime
Yeah i get the impression the RX 480 is a bigger version of a shrunk R9 285/380/X.

not that this is a bad thing they are actually very good GPU's.

But i do think Vega is the ground up new GPU and is where the real improvements are.

All aboard... the Vega Hype Train!

Trouble is it's a sloooooow train :p March 2017 at the earliest according to latest reports.

Soldato
Hey guys just a quick question!

What's the difference between the two? My question is will they produce the same fps as eachother ?:

I know one has a better cooler but in terms of performance are they the same?

No, there is a clock speed difference so not exactly identical - apart from the 30 mhz difference.

Caporegime

Cool running and quiet

The Pailit says that the fans don't spin at under 50 degrees, meaning I won't have any extra noise on idle.

Palit? Oooof.

You guys want to tell him or shall I? I don't think I've got the heart to tell him tho... after he spent all that money...

Caporegime

Cool running and quiet

Enjoy and give some feedback on how you find it please :)

Associate
I don't think it's overpriced - it's much faster, runs much cooler and uses less power (so less heat..) than the 480.

It does user less power and runs cooler, indeed, but in what world is the 1060 much faster than the 480? It is ahead on DX11, behind on DX12 and much slower on Doom + Vulkan.

Caporegime
It does user less power and runs cooler, indeed, but in what world is the 1060 much faster than the 480? It is ahead on DX11, behind on DX12 and much slower on Doom + Vulkan.

Give it time and it will perform much better in DX12. Pascal is new and takes time to get everything working right and DX11 performance is good enough to not need DX12 in the games that have both.

Back
Top Bottom