• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ASUS STRIX 1080 OC UPDATE, WHO WANTS A STRIX GAMER OC INSTEAD? (POLL)

Would you like to change your Strix OC to a Strix Gamer OC?

• YES: I am happy to switch to the Gamer OC or none OC Strix!!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • NO: I will wait for the Strix OC card, no matter how long it takes!!

Votes: 52 69.3%

• Total voters
Associate
It's not that we can't get a refund, it's that our money is objectively worth a lot less if we refund it now.

We can't get any similar GPU without spending the best part of £100 extra. I'm not paying £700 for a GPU. If I get a refund, I'm going 980 TI tbh.

personally I'd refund grab a cheap 980 Ti put the money saved aside for the 1080 Ti you'll lose less going the Ti route I'd imagine, seriously unless at 4k what can't the Ti do when it's clocked around mid 1400mhz that a 1080 can do? heck even at 4k a good clocked 980 Ti isn't much behind a stock 1080 :)

Soldato
personally I'd refund grab a cheap 980 Ti put the money saved aside for the 1080 Ti you'll lose less going the Ti route I'd imagine, seriously unless at 4k what can't the Ti do when it's clocked around mid 1400mhz that a 1080 can do? heck even at 4k a good clocked 980 Ti isn't much behind a stock 1080 :)

Can't deny that you make a fair point. It's just I have a 1440p monitor and sorta wanted my next card to last me 4-5 years and max out star citizen. I'm coming from a 570 GTX, so I tend to not upgrade very often.

I haven't pre-ordered anything since Rome TW 2! and I won't be doing either, once bitten and all that.

Have you got a back up card to game with?

Currently on a 570 GTX. Been a long time since I upgraded. I'm currently stuck in the witcher 2, Dark souls 3 (Which I play at 720p) and FO4 where I cannot continue past a laggy area.

I nearly beat that armour boss thing in DS3 on my first try at 15 fps. Kinda rage quit after that one.

Needless to say, I haven't had much of a gaming life in the past year or so and it's even worse that I used to game at 1440p. The 1080 was meant to blow my mind away.

Associate
Can't deny that you make a fair point. It's just I have a 1440p monitor and sorta wanted my next card to last me 4-5 years and max out star citizen. I'm coming from a 570 GTX, so I tend to not upgrade very often.

Currently on a 570 GTX. Been a long time since I upgraded. I'm currently stuck in the witcher 2, Dark souls 3 (Which I play at 720p) and FO4 where I cannot continue past a laggy area.

I nearly beat that armour boss thing in DS3 on my first try at 15 fps. Kinda rage quit after that one.

Needless to say, I haven't had much of a gaming life in the past year or so and it's even worse that I used to game at 1440p. The 1080 was meant to blow my mind away.

was it yourself who picked up a SC if I remember correctly? if you're intending to keep this card for a very long time then I might lean towards a 1070 even then It's hard to recommend it when a Ti is £349.99 and compared to your 570 well you can't even compare the two really :)

Soldato
was it yourself who picked up a SC if I remember correctly? if you're intending to keep this card for a very long time then I might lean towards a 1070 even then It's hard to recommend it when a Ti is £349.99 and compared to your 570 well you can't even compare the two really :)

By SC do you mean the EVGA 1080? I've only got a Strix OC on pre-order. Since May 28th :(.

Yeah the 1070 is a good card as well, wanting to game at 1440p pushed me over it a little just for the longevity. I think I probably will go TI if I cancel my pre-order. I'm hoping for a side grade to a Zotac to be honest, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Just don't want to be in a position where 2 years later I regret not sticking it out given that I don't upgrade very often.

Associate
By SC do you mean the EVGA 1080? I've only got a Strix OC on pre-order. Since May 28th :(.

Yeah the 1070 is a good card as well, wanting to game at 1440p pushed me over it a little just for the longevity. I think I probably will go TI if I cancel my pre-order. I'm hoping for a side grade to a Zotac to be honest, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Just don't want to be in a position where 2 years later I regret not sticking it out given that I don't upgrade very often.

if you're at 1440p and want the card to last another 4-5 years which could be hard the way games are going even if you went with the 1080 so personally I'd grab a 980 Ti have that for a few years at least, see what's then out at the time, by then the 1180 Ti or whatever will be out and the 1180 will be down in price which will obviously be faster than the next Titan whilst using less power and not as costly :) I got mixed up because someone else in another thread had upgraded from a 570 to a 1080 SC that's all haha :)

Soldato
if you're at 1440p and want the card to last another 4-5 years which could be hard the way games are going even if you went with the 1080 so personally I'd grab a 980 Ti have that for a few years at least, see what's then out at the time, by then the 1180 Ti or whatever will be out and the 1180 will be down in price which will obviously be faster than the next Titan whilst using less power and not as costly :) I got mixed up because someone else in another thread had upgraded from a 570 to a 1080 SC that's all haha :)

Well to be clear, I'm not expecting to game at 1440p for 4-5 years. I'm willing to accept dropping down to 1080p and not maxing out settings. I simply want it to be useable for 4-5 years. Until more recently, I was able to play games at medium 1080p on my 570 for the most part. For instance I've been playing Wolvenstien at high 1080p today.

I feel that a 1080 would give me 1440p maxed out for 2years then start dropping settings off for the 3rd year and probably 1080p gaming for years 4-5 before it's useless like my 570 now is. I'm expecting my gaming habbits to become less and less over the next 5 years as well, hence my current plan. Haven't got the free time I used to have.

All that said, a 980 TI now and then an upgrade in 2 years time could result in spending roughly the same. I expect I'd probably end up with quite similar performance overall. Would be nice to get the 1080 for star citizen though. I'm expecting it to be my main played game in 2017 onwards assuming they get somewhere with it.

Associate
Well to be clear, I'm not expecting to game at 1440p for 4-5 years. I'm willing to accept dropping down to 1080p and not maxing out settings. I simply want it to be useable for 4-5 years. Until more recently, I was able to play games at medium 1080p on my 570 for the most part. For instance I've been playing Wolvenstien at high 1080p today.

I feel that a 1080 would give me 1440p maxed out for 2years then start dropping settings off for the 3rd year and probably 1080p gaming for years 4-5 before it's useless like my 570 now is. I'm expecting my gaming habbits to become less and less over the next 5 years as well, hence my current plan. Haven't got the free time I used to have.

All that said, a 980 TI now and then an upgrade in 2 years time could result in spending roughly the same. I expect I'd probably end up with quite similar performance overall. Would be nice to get the 1080 for star citizen though. I'm expecting it to be my main played game in 2017 onwards assuming they get somewhere with it.

It's a tough one because like you said you'll end up spending the same give or take, why not grab a Ti now, pocket the change have around 3 years with it, and then maybe grab another and hopefully will last another 2 or so years? either way, 980 Ti/1070/1080 is going to demolish 1440p now and in the next year or two only in the third year will you start seeing the ages of the cards in question :) and then like you say for the last year or so srop down to 1080 very high still and you're set! :)

Associate
Bit cheeky to say the least. If they can't supply the guaranteed overclock that was stated in all the reviews, does this mean that the reviewers now have to amend their score based on what's actually available? or re-factor the price into the score equation?

Even if it is unintentional, can anyone tell me how this is any different to a bait and switch?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wanted to say I would not personally take the hit if I had ordered unless either;

1. They offer the card for the launch price and Asus refunds the difference so OcUK do not get stung as not their fault.
  2. They guarantee that the minimum overclock achievable is the same as what you ordered and do this by paying OcUK to clock them prior to shipping.

I don't know why people are sulking at OcUK or Gibbo, they are trying their best to resolve a problem when they could just say "sorry cards won't be in and don't know when stock will arrive" and that is it.

Thank you OcUK for trying your best to give options for people to weigh up accordingly.

Associate
I agree with a lot of the comments about the unfairness of this but I would take the swap. My view of what Gibbo said reading between the lines is that around 30 Strix OC will come this week and then after that there won't be any for a long time. Asus are switching production to cards they can get out in larger numbers and tailing back production of the OC edition.

So those that have voted against a swap I fully understand why but I think it might be complacent to assume that means you will be waiting a few extra weeks. I think we could be looking at the autumn for these cards to arrive in any numbers and whilst I hate to be trapped like this and I agree its shoddy and unfair on Asus part I just don't want to wait another 3 months or so.

Soldato

Always go for new tech. 980 Ti is old tech. 1080 wins:)

Associate
Sorry but for £799.99 you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Sideways.

This price gouging here in the UK is REALLY extracting the urine. Seriously. Over 700 quid for a high end AIB card was bad enough but almost 800..?!!?

A Founders Edition can be bought elsewhere for £619, a Strix from here is £180 more expensive. How on earth can you justify the prices of these high end AIB cards..? Brexit Schmexit. The state of the pound has NOTHING to do with that £180 difference. The difference in the States between a Founders Edition card and a high end AIB card like the Strix is $20-30. So even if take your purchase of stock at £1 = $1.20 that's £22.87 (assuming that the difference is $30) difference. Blimey, even if you forget about exchange rates and just go for £1 = $1 that's still only £30 difference.

You're practically the only etailer with any stock coming in so any reasonable human being would understand a reasonable price hike given the supply and demand of these things but 800 quid is laughable.

Associate
Sorry but for £799.99 you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Sideways.

This price gouging here in the UK is REALLY extracting the urine. Seriously. Over 700 quid for a high end AIB card was bad enough but almost 800..?!!?

A Founders Edition can be bought elsewhere for £619, a Strix from here is £180 more expensive. How on earth can you justify the prices of these high end AIB cards..? Brexit Schmexit. The state of the pound has NOTHING to do with that £180 difference. The difference in the States between a Founders Edition card and a high end AIB card like the Strix is $20-30. So even if take your purchase of stock at £1 = $1.20 that's £22.87 (assuming that the difference is $30) difference. Blimey, even if you forget about exchange rates and just go for £1 = $1 that's still only £30 difference.

You're practically the only etailer with any stock coming in so any reasonable human being would understand a reasonable price hike given the supply and demand of these things but 800 quid is laughable.

If you paid attention to the other comments by Gibbo you would realise that the price is so high in order to deter anyone from buying it. At this point OCUK are trying to clear the back orders first and to stop that list from getting any bigger they have effectively priced themselves out of competition. They don't actually want anyone to buy it at that price.

Whatever prices are in the USA is not a good way to compare prices in the UK. The import prices will not be the same as the US retail prices and you are missing off the many extra costs of import such as transport costs, import duties, VAT etc (you can look forward to all these going up as well when Twatxit gets going).

Sorry to put a bummer on your outrage but check around first before slamming OCUK for gouging.

Associate
I would like to know if all the different Asus Strix cards have the same 120% power limit as the OC model.

I've seen a few of the MSI Gaming X cards have 107% even though some of the reviews state and show screenshots of 121%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom