Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080XD Plasma (2007) v LG HDR 4K LCD

Associate
Hi,

I have an old Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080XD Plasma from 2007 which at the time had arguably the best blacks available on a TV. Does anyone know how it would compare against the black levels on the latest LG 4K LCD TV’s ? More specifically this model :

LG UH855T 75" 4K Super Ultra HD 3D 200Hz Smart LED LCD TV

Thanks

Soldato
Aye only OLED gives deeper blacks but they have issues as well with some slight banding visable with Panasonic being better than LG at the moment with regards to this.

I don't know much about the specific model you have noted as it does not appear to be sold in UK and I haven't seen any reviews.

The best TV out there picture wise with HDR and OLED at the moment is the TX-65CZ952B from Panasonic but it's £4799 (cheapest in UK) so a lot of dollar and is also slightly curved and only 65"

Edit: It doesn't help that the Pioneer Kuro are pretty much the best Plasma's ever released and really were ahead of their time so you will still struggle to find a TV live up to that in honesty.

Last edited:
Soldato
The LG will be better in almost every way, as well as better at things like power usage, thickness, weight, etc I'd have thought (though I've not actually checked that exact model). The Kuro will be getting a bit long in the tooth now, they don't last forever and the picture quality does degrade over time. The blacks may be better but there wont be much in it really.

Caporegime
So I need to go backwards in some areas to go forwards in others..... bummer

The best thing you could do is keep your kuro and get a 4K projector.

When the Kuro dies get a 4K OLED. The reason why I'm saying wait for it to die than buy now is in a few years all the niggles will be ironed out.

Soldato
Just got myself an LG 55930V OLED and can't believe how black the blacks are. I used to have a Panasonic 42" plasma which far from the best had good blacks compared to lcd/leds but this thing is fabulous. Kuros however are on a different level. Keep it for as long as possible :D

Soldato
The Kuros were exceptional I still don't think my last of the line Kuro KRP-500M has been beaten yet in overall picture quality and I have a 4k LG OLED. I am sure it won't be long until they iron out all the niggles they have mainly the banding but the processing with LG models could also be better.

I expect your 508XD would still give a substantially better picture than a 4K LCD (I also have a 4k LCD Panasonic TV) however the increase in screen size would make a big difference.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I love my Kuro LX-6090. Still can't fault the picture quality (had mine calibrated) but the bezel is huuuuuuuuuge compared to newer TVs and it drinks the electricity.

A bit like you, I've thought about upgrading to something larger or newer but I don't want to jump on the 4K bandwagon just yet. Ultimately, I decided to keep my Kuro until it dies :)

Soldato
Krp-500 and Krp-600 owner here too.

I keep thinking about upgrading but then don't. I do get some banding sometimes on the Kuro but that may be made worse by signal issues. It still looks fantastic though.

Plus its an extra radiator in the winter.

It will degrade over time, BUt isn't that more to do with brightness? Losing half its brightness after 20k hrs use or something. But if thats using the same scale as they do for sound it'll hardly be noticable. ie. +3db is twice as loud

Last edited:
Caporegime
Krp-500 and Krp-600 owner here too.

I keep thinking about upgrading but then don't. I do get some banding sometimes on the Kuro but that may be made worse by signal issues. It still looks fantastic though.

Plus its an extra radiator in the winter.

It will degrade over time, BUt isn't that more to do with brightness? Losing half its brightness after 20k hrs use or something. But if thats using the same scale as they do for sound it'll hardly be noticable. ie. +3db is twice as loud

latest panny plasmas are rated to be half as bright after 100,000 hours.

so i would be surprised if pioneer's were 20k hours but they were different panels and older.

i think it was recommended to let a set be run in for 5-10k hours before thinking about calibrating as the panel changes so much within the initial 6k hours.

Soldato
I have a pioneer lx508D and 436xde

My 435xde has now done well over 30,000 hours and still looks just as bright..

Here a picture from some time ago at the 30,000 hour mark ;)

Soldato
The best TV out there picture wise with HDR and OLED at the moment is the TX-65CZ952B from Panasonic but it's £4799 (cheapest in UK) so a lot of dollar and is also slightly curved and only 65".

Incorrect mate the 2016 lg OLEDs E/G6 are much better than the panny, they are far more uniform, brighter, better near black and when calibrated far better at colour reproduction. The only thing the panny does better is Rec.709 out of the box but as I said once callibrated the LG then pulls away from the panny. Have a look over on AV forums on the panny and lg threads, the main callibrater Steve kemp goes into full detail in comparison to both sets and the pros and cons of each set and one of the mods has just switched his panny for a G6 and is far happier with the results.

Associate
I had an older 50" Panasonic Plasma (2009), and I have recently been looking at replacements... I looked at the Samsungs (9000 Series) & LG OLED E6.

After much deliberation I ended up buying a 2nd hand low hour Panasonic 65" VT60 Plasma, and I couldn't be happier. No LCD has ever held up to the viewing angles & motion of Plasma. OLED looked very nice, but even the newer models which could display a true black, still crushed shades of black.

For me, 4K isn't on the cards for a while yet - also I still watch a fair amount of SD source material and Plasma is still the best tech at displaying SD material.

Associate
I've recently picked up a second hand LX5090 I'm so impressed. I know two people running JVC HD model DLP projectors and they have to do a lot of messing around to get their black levels anywhere near this thing.

Compared to a few 4K LED LG sets I've been around since owning it, they can't compete. I'm yet to see an OLED in the flesh....

Soldato
After much deliberation I ended up buying a 2nd hand low hour Panasonic 65" VT60 Plasma, and I couldn't be happier. No LCD has ever held up to the viewing angles & motion of Plasma. OLED looked very nice, but even the newer models which could display a true black, still crushed shades of black.

You made the right choice. I too have a Panasonic VT plasma (55") and it's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom