• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which graphics card for 250-300.

Permabanned
I am looking to upgrade my ageing 7970 and my budget is 250-300.

It needs to be a quiet and cool running card.

I game on my dell 1920x1200 monitor.

I am leaning towards the 1060 as I think it fits the purpose. I am planning on getting a 4k monitor but not anytime soon. I don't really want to buy a card for the future, I'll replace if required.

Thanks.

It's a shame you couldn't of stretched to the 1070 that was on a one day deal as that would also allow no rush to upgrade when you do go 4k. Maybe you should wait and save up a bit more money so you can make the leap from 1060/980/390x performance to 980ti/1070 performance.

Associate
I don't think I would be properly utilising a fury on a 1080p screen.

It's a good option though.

The Fury series is actually pretty decent at 4k. Even with monster games like The Witcher 3. When other cards take a big hit in FPS, the Fury's just slow down a bit and beat Titan X and 980 Ti in many tests. So even if you switch to 4k with no immediate VGA upgrade, you would be quite okay.

Permabanned
I've been considering a 980ti too but they are still quite expensive on eBay, going for 330 plus.

Overclockers has an evga for £350.

What's a good used price? I don't have access to MM.

EVGA 980ti new for £350 isn't bad and you get customer care that's second to none if needed so that's peace of mind too. But as mentioned you are then in 1070 territory and personally I'd add another 10 or 20 quid and go with that.

Permabanned
Cards like the Fury/980ti, etc are overkill for 1080p, in my honest opinion.

Definitely not, I'm running a Fury on a 1080p panel and while it runs everything great allowing me to use dsr at 1440p it struggles to run 4kdsr so no not overkill just the sweetspot, You can easily get away with less but this allows you to use the majority of bells and whistles with acceptable performance.

Associate
OP
EVGA 980ti new for £350 isn't bad and you get customer care that's second to none if needed so that's peace of mind too. But as mentioned you are then in 1070 territory and personally I'd add another 10 or 20 quid and go with that.

Buying a house so on a tight budget at the moment - otherwise would have gone with the 1070 yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom