2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
They're looking good!

One of my plants has started to get attacked by green fly already! :(

Aphids.

First time for everything. So considering using some ladybirds bought through the post - basically buy a pack and then release a couple inside and then the rest around the garden.

Apparently if you plant marigolds they will naturally attract ladybirds to your garden. Or if you buy ladybird larvae the marigolds might aid in keeping them around.

I tried all sorts, including soapy water but nothing seemed to work. Blasting them off the plant with a spray bottle set on the stream setting seemed to work, but is a lot of work if you have a load of plants. I'll be interested to know if the ladybirds do the trick and stick around.

Neem oil is a natural and cheap method to get rid of insects. This Permaculture site has some tips which may be useful for those of you who don't want to poison yourselves by applying unsafe and unnatural chemical sprays to food, not knowing what the consequences may be further down the line. Most of the natural methods have a long history of use. I don't know how effective they all are, but it's a useful list for those who need some help with the beasties!

@NickK - there is a remedy for damping off and fungus on the same page. I haven't come across the problem myself. The only fungus/mould problems I had were all from using the biodegradable seedling pots. I stopped using them after that.

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/strange-brew-homemade-garden-sprays/

ETA: Hoverfly are really good natural aphid predators too, and they are attracted to Marigolds (not sure if the ladybirds are and can't check now). Companion planting Marigolds, or other attractors and diverters may help. E.g. Slugs will go for their favourite foods, so if you have something to sacrifice for them, it might save your chilies.

Last edited:
Associate
wonder if anyone can help me.
whenever i use any feed on my chillis it turns the leaves from a deep dark green, to a light yellow.
i feed them once per week, and follow the dilution instructions on the bottle.
I use Levington Tomorite Tomoto feed, and as I have a 2L bottle at work so have adjusted the amount of feed to 10ml.
When feeding I apply to the base of the plant taking care not to touch the stem, and there is roughly 200ml used on the last water so don't think it is over-watering.

Associate
wonder if anyone can help me.
whenever i use any feed on my chillis it turns the leaves from a deep dark green, to a light yellow.
i feed them once per week, and follow the dilution instructions on the bottle.
I use Levington Tomorite Tomoto feed, and as I have a 2L bottle at work so have adjusted the amount of feed to 10ml.
When feeding I apply to the base of the plant taking care not to touch the stem, and there is roughly 200ml used on the last water so don't think it is over-watering.

It's really difficult to know what is causing the yellowing, as there is often a delay in reactions from plants, sometimes as long as 2 weeks. I would just try not feeding them at all for 3 weeks, and just give water.

What type of water are you using? I have had endless problems with tap water over the years. I have invested in a fairly small rain water butt to use on my plants. If you don't know what your local tapwater additives are, you can contact your water authority to get a list - really scary what they add, and no surprise it harms plants.

Soldato
Ahh, I think united utilities might just be for the north west? I remember someone linking me the site in one of the older chilli threads, thought it was just for the whole of the UK. I'm sure other regions will have the same online checker.

Associate
What type of water are you using? .

At work I am using water from a water filter connected to the mains.

At home we also have a water filter connected directly to the fridge, so fingers crossed this gets rid of most of the horrible stuff.

We have a big water butt at home so I'll start getting the water from there in future and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Associate
At work I am using water from a water filter connected to the mains.

At home we also have a water filter connected directly to the fridge, so fingers crossed this gets rid of most of the horrible stuff.

We have a big water butt at home so I'll start getting the water from there in future and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Rainwater is ideal, but if you don't have other options, using filtered is OK.

Associate
I have some rare non-hot Venezuelan chilli seeds, but I'm always prone to getting seedlings and plants mixed up!! The plant is Aji Jobito:

I hope that the biggest plant I have will be the Aji Jobito, but there is every chance that I have them all mixed up again (I like some chaos in my garden!).

But, due to low success with the British climate and some uncertainty with my housing, I'm not really growing many chilli plants this year, and those I have will likely be to overwinter.

Soldato
Chocolate Habanero from my overwintered plant, anyone ?

chochab1_zpsbq0b44g5.png

chochab2_zpsjpn8rk81.png

chochab3_zpsn1xag4ix.png

Sorry about the photo quality :p

Soldato
Well the experimental chilli left outside is both clear of aphids and happily growing. So I've left the others out now - hoping the explosion of aphids will give some predators a feast..

Soldato
Yup they're cayenne or "french peppers" (i.e. something like a cayenne").

Currently drying some off for long term chilli powder :)

Soldato
Picked a few tonight and chopped them up -put in jar with vinegar in, along with onion and garlic and all sorts of spices.

Will keep adding some more Chilli's till jar is full - leave it a few month's then drain liquid off and blitz the remains to a paste - put it in jar to use in whatever.

Have to say the red ones seem hotter than Scotch Bonnets I had a few years ago.

412707093.jpg

Soldato
Dry entire thing.. (except stalk).. Then when bone dry, grind into flakes. Up to you if you want to keep seeds in or take out.

Back
Top Bottom