• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060 Compatible with my older rig

Associate
Hi All,

My rig is dated, would a new GTX 1060 be compatible with my old motherboard?

I think the board has two PCI-E slots, one x16 and one x4. Both are version 2.0, I am unsure if this matters.

I am pretty sure my i5 will hold it back but i am planning to save for a bundle upgrade about November time.

My PSU is 850W and looking at the 1060's requirements i have enough power. I have 6pin and 8pin connectors.

My budget is £300.

Many thanks in advance.

Soldato
You will be fine

You can't say that, i had a board from 2010 that point blank refused to work with newer gpus, couldn't get my 750ti to even post. Ended up finding a sneaky bios update from 2012 which fixed the problem.

My advice would be check forums to see if anyone else has used a newer gpu on that motherboard or check the gigabyte faq's and forums.

just checked last bios update for that board was 2010

Associate
OP
You can't say that, i had a board from 2010 that point blank refused to work with newer gpus, couldn't get my 750ti to even post. Ended up finding a sneaky bios update from 2012 which fixed the problem.

My advice would be check forums to see if anyone else has used a newer gpu on that motherboard or check the gigabyte faq's and forums.

just checked last bios update for that board was 2010

Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom