Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
These are the kind of arguments that I have hard time understanding, as I just don't see the logic behind them. Why wealth redistribution on certain arbitrary scale makes sense, but on some other arbitrary scale doesn't?

If you feel that way then that's great. I know we're not close friends or anything, but can you send over a few grand as I could really use a new car and a new graphics card? :)

Human nature, sense of common purpose. We're a bunch of generally awkward, stubborn people in the UK but tend to stick together quite well as Brits.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Not really - if she doesn't think she can win a second referendum she'll drop her calls for one and say it wasn't possible because of Westminster. Scottish voters will continue to lap it up.

Not really? Since the vote she has been acting like a petulant child.

V F

V F

Soldato
The tone. She was practically one step away from stamping her feet going on and on about another referendum playing politics because of Brexit. Just about everyday she was on TV about it.

Associate
So she it being "petulant" because she is trying to stand up for the majority of the Scottish voters who want to remain members of the EU.

There's no "playing politics" about it. She is representing the will of the Scottish people (i.e. doing her job). If she wasn't fighting tooth and nail for Scotland to remain in the EU it would be a dereliction of duty.

Associate
So she it being "petulant" because she is trying to stand up for the majority of the Scottish voters who want to remain members of the EU.

There's no "playing politics" about it. She is representing the will of the Scottish people (i.e. doing her job). If she wasn't fighting tooth and nail for Scotland to remain in the EU it would be a dereliction of duty.

+1

Associate

The United Kingdom voted to leave. Scotland is not sovereign and therefore bound by the decision. The only way that can change is they become independent.

What would have happened if the referendum had gone the other way and Scottish voters were responsible for overriding the democratic wishes of England? Would English politicians have a right to be angry at the Scots or, possibly, to threaten to expel them from the UK?

Associate
The United Kingdom voted to leave. Scotland is not sovereign and therefore bound by the decision. The only way that can change is they become independent.

What would have happened if the referendum had gone the other way and Scottish voters were responsible for overriding the democratic wishes of England? Would English politicians have a right to be angry at the Scots or, possibly, to threaten to expel them from the UK?

If that had happened then i expect there would have been much wailing and stamping of feet from much of England.

Man of Honour
The Scotch ( just to be annoying :p ) , have long wanted to be self governing and treated as a seperate state/country, so has Wales, but perhaps not quite so vocally.

Now would be a perfect time to let this happen.

Lets see how strong your independant economies are without England.

I have no animosity towards either the Scottish or Welsh, let the nationals decide their future.

I can't see how either country , as an independant, would survive though :(

A dependancy on oil prices and tourism is hardly grounds for a stable economy

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So if a country is not a global leader in any markets then they can't sustain themselves? What a load of tosh!

Show me different then, educate me ?

Show me that Scotland is a thriving self sufficient nation and i will be enlightened.

It's the same old political bull**** , that we can do better, until you actually have to prove it - Same as England Labour v Conservative

Last edited:
Associate
Show me different then, educate me ?

Show me that Scotland is a thriving self sufficient nation and i will be enlightened.

Are you really saying that every single self-sufficient country in the world is a global leader in at least one field?

What is Luxembourg a global leader in?
What is Sweden a global leader in?
What is Denmark a global leader in?
What is Iceland a global leader in?

These are all countries with a higher GDP per capita than the mighty (global leader) UK.

Man of Honour
Are you really saying that every single self-sufficient country in the world is a global leader in at least one field?

What is Luxembourg a global leader in?
What is Sweden a global leader in?
What is Denmark a global leader in?
What is Iceland a global leader in?

These are all countries with a higher GDP per capita than the mighty (global leader) UK.

So you couldn't show me how Scotland would sustain itself, you chose to ignore my question ?

Associate
So you couldn't show me how Scotland would sustain itself, you chose to ignore my question ?

Because it was a ridiculous question and just demonstrated that you know precious little about Scotland's economy.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

R&D
Electronics
Renewables
Finance
Food & Agriculture
Textiles
Whisky

Now, answer my questions.

Man of Honour
Because it was a ridiculous question and just demonstrated that you know precious little about Scotland's economy.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

R&D
Electronics
Renewables
Finance
Food & Agriculture
Textiles
Whisky

Now, answer my questions.

So no figures alongside the list of things i could have guessed, you might aswell of added Golf ,Tartan and Shortbread.

Make it simpler, outgoings/incomings , imports/exports, with England/without England ?

Associate
So no figures alongside the list of things i could have guessed, you might aswell of added Golf ,Tartan and Shortbread.

Make it simpler, outgoings/incomings , imports/exports, with England/without England ?

What the hell do you want, a detailed breakdown of Scotland's trade balance? You're looking in the wrong place son. Go and do your own homework.

Now, what are the countries listed above world leaders in? Given that you think it's impossible to be a self-sustaining independent country without being such, I imagine that you'll find that pretty easy to answer.

Also, where do you believe Scotland's GDP per capita fits in the listing I linked to? I'll give you a clue, it's not next to Ghana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom