Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Because I don't have a detailed breakdown of Scotland's economy at my fingertips that's "point proven".

Even the Scottish government do not have actual figures for anything you are asking for as there is no Scottish treasury and all taxes are paid to Westminster so only they have access to that information.

Why are you still avoiding my questions?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The difficulty in suggesting or challenging Scotland post exit from the UK is how long and how intertwined the economies are.
Plenty of businesses are in Scotland because of the union and would not necessarily survive or remain that way post breakout.
Specifically as its my area of expertise, financial services. There is no reason (just like London) that they could not move, certainly some would, or would change their scale.
Some government based departments and also some big UK based buisnesses, such as Sky, employ more in Scotland than Scotland would support (or require) as an independent.
Thats not to say they would move, its just possible that over time the may rebalance.

I am sure Scotland would be successful on its own. What I can never reconcile is how leaving the UK (cos of dem imperialist overlords) is any different to being a very small fish in the sea of the EU is some magic pill for prosperity.

Soldato
The difficulty in suggesting or challenging Scotland post exit from the UK is how long and how intertwined the economies are.
Plenty of businesses are in Scotland because of the union and would not necessarily survive or remain that way post breakout.
Specifically as its my area of expertise, financial services. There is no reason (just like London) that they could not move, certainly some would, or would change their scale.
Some government based departments and also some big UK based buisnesses, such as Sky, employ more in Scotland than Scotland would support (or require) as an independent.
Thats not to say they would move, its just possible that over time the may rebalance.

I am sure Scotland would be successful on its own. What I can never reconcile is how leaving the UK (cos of dem imperialist overlords) is any different to being a very small fish in the sea of the EU is some magic pill for prosperity.

Do a France/UK on a smaller scale and then Sexit?

Though again, if we're are arguing world clout and greater pooled sovereignty, it's still found on the continent. In fact, both Sturgeon and Salmond would argue they'll be getting greater self-determination and freedom in foreign policy than presently, among other things. In the power calculus of Holyrood vs Westminster, unreformed as it remains, versus Holyrood (Indy) vs EUP is a no-brainer for a Scottish nationalist.

If the SNP will be more honest about introducing their own currency, the economic reality in a smaller country and their long-term objectives second time around, they can pull off independence in the end; particularly if we continue on our path down post-truth politics.

Of course, we can just as easily continue playing at this impasse between North and South for decades, blaming each other for xyz for short-term electoral success. Left unchecked, again this can lead to a split in the UK.

Associate

Lets rephrase it:
Plenty of businesses are in UK because it is part of EU and would not necessarily survive post breakout. Like financial services, where passporting rights make it possible to run much bigger business than UK market alone justifies. Some companies run big portions of their EU operations from UK, which might become unmanageable if chooses to leave the union.

I'm sure UK would be success on its own. What I can never reconcile is how leaving EU (cause of them imperialist overlords), is any different to being a very small fish in the sea of the world is some magic pill for prosperity.

How is this any different?

Scaremongering about scotland leaving is astounding. Sounds 110% like eu referendum campaing.

Last edited:
Soldato
So who here actually believes that it takes over 5 months to prepare for the negotiations?

David Davis and his department whatever its called, what exactly are they doing? I bet they finished a week ago and are busy browsing the web and playing games.

Caporegime
So who here actually believes that it takes over 5 months to prepare for the negotiations?

David Davis and his department whatever its called, what exactly are they doing? I bet they finished a week ago and are busy browsing the web and playing games.

Well, it does indeed take time...

But also it gives the EU time to make itself look bad, as that is the default reality for it... a few terrorist attacks, military on the streets, Greece/Italy/France being flat broke.

Biding our time to humiliate them.

Soldato
Davis's is not the only department, and we're looking for more than doing a Brexit on the carpet of Europe and then slamming one through the letterbox on our way out. Hence, yes, time's required aplenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom