Family Estate

Associate
I've reached that point where I need a do-it-all car. Current ride is a 2.0 A3 petrol. I need more space and an estate fits the bill or really big hatch (need to put bikes and kids stuff in). I do 17k miles a year split roughly half on motorway and half on A/B roads. I wouldn't mind something a bit spirited to drive (eg, sub 9 sec 0-60 and not too much of a boat round the lanes). I appreciate this approach to do a a bit of everything is awash with compromise but I'd still appreciate some OCer feedback.

Need
6 years old or less
ideally less than 50k on the clock
petrol or diesel both ok
auto preferred
budget £12-15k

I couldn't consider a Skoda regardless of how good the car (grew up in 80's and too many playground jokes re: Skoda) pretty much anything else goes.

A bit of prestige preferred, currently considering Merc C-class or A4

What to look for?

Thanks

Soldato
If you discount the Superb you're shooting yourself in the foot as it's the perfect choice for what you need.

This. Skoda has come a long way, and is in fact the perfect car for your needs really.

Failing that though, a BMW 530d Touring. Although you would have to relax your arbitrary mileage requirement somewhat or up the budget for a nice F11 rather than a late E61.

Permabanned
I currently have a A4 Avant (2012), and have spent time in the last gen C class, neither are very big for an Estate.

So much so that im moving to a Volvo XC60 suv, due to needing the extra usable width (2 little ones in a baby seats, with another one in the plan over the next few years!!) along the back.

I did look at the supoerb myself and its excellent as a load lugger, but comparing it to my current A4 it just felt utilitarian and the difference in quality was apparent, but when you compare the Superb to a Passat, its easily as good.

Soldato
Associate
OP
I currently have a A4 Avant (2012), and have spent time in the last gen C class, neither are very big for an Estate.

So much so that im moving to a Volvo XC60 suv, due to needing the extra usable width (2 little ones in a baby seats, with another one in the plan over the next few years!!) along the back.

I did look at the supoerb myself and its excellent as a load lugger, but comparing it to my current A4 it just felt utilitarian and the difference in quality was apparent, but when you compare the Superb to a Passat, its easily as good.

Cheers for the informative reply. I don't need a monster sized estate as my A3 almost copes.

I think my shortlist is still A4, C-class or 5 series

Man of Honour
Depends a bit on your priorities regarding boot size, I have been casually window-shopping for quite some time a compact family estate whereby I wanted a big boot (~600L+) with a relatively short length (~4.7m max), petrol engine, reasonable toys, reasonable price. My shortlist basically comes down to Octavia 1.4 SE-L (no good for you due to badge), 308SW 1.3 130 Allure (question marks over reliability for being French) and the slight curveball of Civic Tourer (not convinced by the looks). The A4/C-Class/3-series all seemed to have smaller boots plus being more expensive.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Get a late-model C6 A6.
Boot is massive and you might even be able to get one within your mileage limits. They're too low for your budget IMHO, especially if you don't want a skoda.

A Superb would be perfect but an A6 would be fine as you already have an Audi so you know what you're dealing with.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom