Is this set up suitable for overclocking?

Associate
Planning on buying a
n i5 6500 (non k) and overclocking it to around 4 - 4.2ghz.

Will this motherboard be suitable for that?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170A-X13.1/

Rest of my system..
Sapphire RX 480 OC+ 8GB
XFX PRO 550w
120gb PNY SSD
500gb WD HDD
8gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance (2666)
Coolermaster 212 evo
Any potential issues there? i.e PSU?

Last edited:
Associate
Allegedly Intel may bork this overclocking methodology via CPU microcode updates. That caveat aside (and afaik it hasn't happened yet) that board would work with a BIOS download, and the rest of your system seems fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
On both of asrocks OC formula boards the microcode can simply be selected in bios and iirc 2F is the one needed. Not sure if any of there other boards have this feature or indeed any boards from other vendors.

Man of Honour
One thing that nobody seems to consider is that if a gpu is released that is incompatible with the motherboard you cannot flash the boards bios to put things right or you would lose your overclocking. You may think it's unlikely to happen but the fact is that it does happen and we see it a lot on here. Usually the only way to fix it is to flash the motherboard to the latest bios.

For me personally the bclk clocking method has way too many downsides. The lack of power saving alone is a massive deal breaker for me. The 6600k (oem) is only £27 more than the 6500 and by shopping around you can knock at least another tenner off that. I would always pay the extra for a K series cpu, especially when it's not much extra, and overclock properly while keeping full functionality.

Associate
OP
Thanks guy! Yeah i've had a think about it and decided to up my budget a little so i can get an i5 6600k and a better motherboard.

i5 6600k
ASUS Z170-P
8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 2666 (was £3 more compared to the 2133)

Ordered and it's on it's way!

550w XFX Pro definitely good enough for this? I know next to nothing about PSU's

Associate
OP
Sweet, thank you. Ill eventually replace it when i look at another 480 for crossfire. (When the price drops)

Managed to get a good deal on the components. Just need the 480 to turn up now which doesnt look like itll be anytime soon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom