*** The 2016 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What's the nearest big town relative to you? You might be near me <3 although I'm more the bit where it's rural behind me and increasingly urban going up towards the big smoke so you must be well in the sticks!

If you're talking about the kind of SLDL which is basically an RDL off the floor, with the bar starting a little further in front of the foot than a regular DL then yes, I use them as my main posterior chain movement on the heavier/lower-rep day of my upper/lower split (do RDLs on the higher rep day), since conventional deadlifts don't really fit into that kind of split very well and I'm not really interested in powerlifting. I really like them - can really feel the hamstrings fire and get a solid glute bar hump at the top.

Tom Martin swears by them although he allows a bit more back rounding since the idea is to get stronger in the position you'd find yourself in with a less than perfect conventional DL.

It's hard to explain, well kind of. I've never really seen it being done so it's difficult to use anything as a reference point.

I do however attempt to get the bar as close to my shins as I can. Before I pull, I can pull the bar in close to my shins and feel a hamstring stretch, and I usually use that a a cue to start the pull when I feel the hamstring stretch. I don't bend my knees at all though, it is literally completely stiff legged, and I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. It does however feel very comfortable, and my stiff legged pull has almost doubled since I started which means I must have had elastic bands for hamstrings.

Glute thrusting at the top is also something I seem to struggle with, and I feel like my glutes aren't properly firing when deadlifting. Is glute DOMS to be expected when doing stiff legged deadlifts?

Associate
CaptainRAVE it was posted earlier in the thread, quoted below

You say that you do "almost always same routine for DL" but does that vary the volume and intensities session by session?

It seems you've just hit a plateau and the primary cause is potentially a stagnant program.

If that sounds about right then we need to find a way to start shifting your body back into high gear!

Try this 4 week mini block for deads and see how it goes

The following assumes your deadlift form is solid, consistent and without excessive rounding:

Week 1: Deadlift: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + RDL: 3x8x60%
Week 2: Deadlift: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + RDL: 3x6x70%
Week 3: Deadlift: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 4: New Max

For weeks 1-2 add in your usual upper back work for week 3 half the volume of it.

This does have you deadlifting every seven days, if that's not an option thehn feel free to adapt it to your time frame.

EDIT: for the RDL base it off an RDL max if you have one and if you don't then take it to be 60-70% of your DL max.

Associate
Da[]San;29072932 said:
Lift Goals.. Current doing Fierce 5 on Bodybuilding.com
Squat 5 x 60 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 100
FSquat 5 x 50 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 80
Bench 5 x 50 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 80
DL 5 x 90 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 120
Row 8 x 40 --> End 2016 goal 8 x 60
OHP 5 x 30 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 50

Just joined a new gym were I can get in and do my training and out in my lunch hour - which is helping my work/gym/life balance much better. Also, strength seems much better mid day then late at night...

Will try and check in each month to update on progress..

Just an update 7 months in.
Squat 5 x 60 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 100
8 x 75 - 5 x 80 - 3 x 85 - 2 x 90 - 1 x 100
FSquat 5 x 50 -->not trained

Bench 5 x 50 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 80
--> 10 x 50 - 8 x 55 - 6 x 60 - 3 x 65 - 1 x 70 So needs some work
Deadlift --> 5 x 90 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 120
9 x 100 - 3 x 120 so ahead of expectations.
Row 8 x 40 --> End 2016 goal 8 x 60
Already doing 6 x 60 still going good
OHP 5 x 30 --> End 2016 goal 5 x 50
Worked up to 5 x 45kg have now reset.
8 x 37.5k 10 x 35kg
Chins 0 to 3 sets of 6.

Permabanned
Looked at myself in the mirror the other day and thought to myself that i don't look much different to when i started Stronglifts. Put on a pair of jeans that i haven't worn since the winter this morning and they're telling me otherwise :p

Man of Honour
Looked at myself in the mirror the other day and thought to myself that i don't look much different to when i started Stronglifts. Put on a pair of jeans that i haven't worn since the winter this morning and they're telling me otherwise :p

Gains.

You have taken your first steps into a larger (see what I did there? No? Oh, well...) world, where you will always think your aren't big enough and are the same as you were pre-lifting.

I am 15kg heavier, leaner and I look the same as I used to. Because - unlike Steedie - I found out how to make my calves fricking huge. :D

Soldato
My calves are literally the only thing that has grown since I started lifting. I have the calves of a greek god, and everything else lifted straight from Buddha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom