This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Very interesting... I know from having to do a lot of elearning activities as part of my onboarding at my new role, engagement with the activities can range from high to barely anything!

Soldato
My colleague is actually my mate who I've essentially employed and we're running a two person headhunting firm. I posted earlier in this thread about his performance, but to his credit he's worked harder, better and is starting to get it now.

I just wish a few things would go his way. Through candidate idiocy and lack of preparation he's missed out on two really quite straight forward placements, resulting in the lose of 30% of his annual target, as well as few other processes that simply haven't gone his way in the final round.

Last night he got ****ed hard. I came in after post-voting drinks to see an email from one of his clients. His biggest placement this year - in a totally new and quite exciting area of the industry - quit yesterday after 5 weeks' of employment at this client. Gutting. We worked so hard on this, it was a really tricky close and now the candidate received a massive offer from an interview process he'd had earlier in the year. I don't blame the candidate, financially it was a much better offer, but it just means my colleague isn't getting a break whatsoever. It's also cost me five figures.

If we wanted to we could keep the entire recruitment fee, as our terms state we can, but we'd be screwing ourselves and our client at the same time and that's no way to build bridges. The client has allowed us to source a replacement candidate to attempt to avoid having to refund the fee - it's going to be tough though as it's late in the recruiting year, there aren't an awful lot of candidates around right now and also the firm are pretty poor payers. I told my mate not to worry about, it certainly wasn't his fault and it won't have any negative impact on the client, our firm, his employment and so on. I just feel so gutted for him.

This is after a few things had gone well for me at work and we'd just moved into awesome, but not inexpensive, offices. Bah! :mad:

Soldato
Went down to Poole/Bournemouth on holiday from the 11th to the 18th so it's my first day in the office again today.

On the 12th I had several work emails come through while I was parking in Bournemouth, going to enjoy a nice family day, the emails where updates from Trello telling me a new board had been created called "Department Migration", instantly whatsapp my colleague.. "nothing to worry about matey, speak to X about it and he'll explain it all".

Missed call from my manager X a few mins later. Had a text yesterday saying "can you go to the CEO's office at 9am".

Redundancy! yay!

Departments not making enough money which I understand but the issue isn't our department, it's the fact we are constantly waiting for other people to do things for us such as launching landing pages for adwords campaigns etc.

Been told that the general IT job is also being made redundant and merged with my position, adwords, SEO etc and that I'll need to apply for that position via an interview.

Now, I've been told I should definitely apply and it'll come with a £1k pay rise, but it means working in a hot stuffy room with no windows and right under a manager who I don't feel is competent. Total opposite of what I have now, a nice private office in a different building with a colleague and a leader, not a manager.

I may apply and start looking but it's 10 mins from home and the SEO/dev side has great potential but I don't know if I'll get the support I need to pick up the processes. My manager knows nothing and the tech director who I'll need training from is your typical flaky coder type who is always swamped.

Soldato
OP
Well that's a bitch! Sorry dude. Not what you want to hear when you're away.

I'm sat in Keystone in a conference hall now. Waiting for kick off in 2.5hrs for partners/ sponsors of this conference. The last one went so well, for some reason I'm anxious about this one. Probably for the fact it's costing us so much I want to make the most out of it. Meh. I'll nail it like I normally do, of course. I'm just rambling here

Soldato
OP
Still here until friday. They moved our booths yesterday so I'm now in the back corner of the room facing the wall, which I'm ****ed about. Not exactly helpful for the amount of money this cost me. Someone's getting a hoot-a-gram when I get back. Hoping that I can still get some decent traffic through. See how it goes.

Good luck with the interview!

Soldato
OP
Back from my many weeks stateside conferencing and trying to catch up with product development and follow ups with people to try and get some sales into get some actual ROI on these things, which would be nice.

My eyes are stinging like mad. I'm beat. I need a week of sleep I think.

Caporegime
Official job hunt has begun. I've applied for roles locally here in Portugal and in contact with agencies about remote contracts so hopefully something should come up.

I'm giving it a timeline of a month. If I'm no further I'm going to look into beginning my own IT Consultancy company or similar. Portuguese government are keen on helping new start-ups :)

In other news the interview I had the other week went well. Finally heard from them, I'm through the first stage. They want me to meet their client who I could be subcontracted for but that could take some time to setup as everyone is on holiday at the moment.

And after some googling I found an awesome sounding job for a large american company for a role working from home for a Technical Project Manager. I've spent all morning putting in a solid application! Lets see!

Soldato
OP
Nice one, good steps to some change!
One thing with being subcontracted that always got me (I did it for a year) was it just annoyed me that the company I worked for got a good day rate for me and yet I got a small chunk of it. Hence me going contract after that. What's your background? I haven't paid enough attention to know :p

Caporegime
Nice one, good steps to some change!
One thing with being subcontracted that always got me (I did it for a year) was it just annoyed me that the company I worked for got a good day rate for me and yet I got a small chunk of it. Hence me going contract after that. What's your background? I haven't paid enough attention to know :p

Yeah that's always a trade off. The company itself looks and sounds like a lot of fun though. In Portugals top 10 happiest companies to work for! So even if its for the one project for their client, it could be a good experience :)

I have contracted in the past, and I would like to do so now. But finding something thats almost entirely remote based is rare, so I have to keep my options open. One thing that I'm also searching for alongside consultancy companies is new start ups and firing off my CV to them to see if they have anything.

I'm a Desktop Infrastructure + Technical Project Management kinda guy. Need anything? ;)

Soldato
Its an easy trap to fall into - but in my experience there's just no payoff for it.

Before I left my last company I took on half the workload of the Financial Controller when he left, and did it faster / better than he ever did. He was paid £120k a year, I was on less than £40k. I was offered a 3% payrise and no bonus. That's the point where I decided to draw a line in the sand and negotiate these things up front from now on - if I'm taking somebody's work on my role is going to change drastically then I'm going to have a conversation about money.

Soldato
Started my new job on monday but my previous employer rang me earlier asking if I would like to go back as head of maintenance (They have just sacked the previous head of maintenance) First thing I asked was about was my wages and I was told I would be on the same wage that I was on when I left.

Why would I take on extra responsibilities for the same money as before they just couldn't grasp that when i refused the job.

Soldato
Wonder why I bother doing extra things here, doesn't get. Noticed and I'll never get any form of financial recognition for it.

If you're like me it's because you have a strong work ethic and take pride in what you do.

I've done it in many jobs, this latest one seems to get recognition, well, it did in my old team because I had a strong leader (manager) who openly pushed my ideas onto management, many of which have been implemented.

In this new role, I have a flaky manager and I've been in this position for 3 days, no training, no hand over and I've just gotten on with it. Asked if I was ok once.

The people I am helping have all said how efficient it was compared to the old guy but I have no idea how that will translate to the management.

Soldato
OP
Sadly, it's all the 80/20 rule of doing the 20% of stuff that matters. By matters I mean, is visible to the people it needs to be to help you. Crap way of doing it, but that's big business. It doesn't reward the hard working. Or rarely in the way you want it to.

Associate
Just joined a dedicated Linus Infrastructure support team (with decent but exposure to Linux) with one person in the UK, one in the US and me in Aus. We'll seen be taking ownership of support for a large and complex web portal however the handover will only involve the UK and US due to time zone issues and our T&E budget has been scrapped so I can't even fly back to the UK for a few days to get exposure to this new environment.

Got knows how I'm going to be able to support this behemoth!

Back
Top Bottom