What have you done to your car today?

Don
Got stuck upside down in the drivers side footwell trying to adjust the clutch pedal travel as I think it might be the reason why I'm having occasional issues selecting first from a standstill. Luckily I was using my phone and I managed to ring my girlfriend to come outside and rescue me

:D :D

I did laugh at this, because I've managed to do the same thing trying to change the battery in the footwell of my old car, was totally wedged in and actually got quite panicked by the whole experience. Eventually pried out by a mate, after he finished wetting himself at the state I'd got myself into :p

Soldato
:p

I just find driving a manual a tedious and unnecessary task these days, even when there's no traffic. I get that certain cars should always have a manual box, for example the S2000, the perfect car for a B road blast - but as a commuter or simple A to B 'tool', why even consider a manual unless it's to save a bit of money?

I must admit that I do miss having a manual gearbox at times. I love having an auto for day-to-day trudging, and I don't regret buying it. When I fancy a bit more of a blast I stick it in manual mode which is still fun, but it's not quite the same.

I'm unlikely to move to two cars again for the foreseeable future so I'll honestly be torn as to whether or not my next car will be a manual or an auto. I quite enjoy changing gear when I drive other cars but how long that'd last if it was a permanent change, who knows!

Man of Honour
Amen. I am actually looking forward to swapping my Audi S1 for something like a Skoda Octavia with a 1.4T and DSG. Whilst I'll miss the power, the traffic in the South East is so awful all the time that I pretty much never get to drive my S1 "properly". It was fun in the Swiss Alps and on the Route Napoleon in France this year, but a bit of fun once a year isn't good enough compared to the 340+ days a year I have to deal with constant shifting in traffic.

Never get a chance? That's hard to believe because I'm also in the same area and regularly find chances to enjoy the power :p

Just take some time out once or twice a week outside of the usual commuting times to go for a blast around the many A and B roads we have.

If you're not making some time to do something you obviously enjoy, then only yourself to blame surely, and not the traffic during commuting periods.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never get a chance? That's hard to believe because I'm also in the same area and regularly find chances to enjoy the power :p

Just take some time out once or twice a week outside of the usual commuting times to go for a blast around the many A and B roads we have.

If you're not making some time to do something you obviously enjoy, then only yourself to blame surely, and not the traffic during commuting periods.

You live in Portsmouth, and I life within the TFL network. There's a slight difference in our experience of traffic :)

On the odd occasion a small group of us will go have a blast around some B-roads very early on a Sunday morning, but it happen maybe 4 times a year. Generally if I'm going somewhere on the weekend, I have my mountain bike on the roof of the car.

I need an estate in my life because of the bike, but unfortunately with my mileage going up after our house purchase goes through in the coming months, a fun estate like the Golf R isn't an option.

Man of Honour
:D :D

I did laugh at this, because I've managed to do the same thing trying to change the battery in the footwell of my old car, was totally wedged in and actually got quite panicked by the whole experience. Eventually pried out by a mate, after he finished wetting himself at the state I'd got myself into :p

I just ended up a crumpled heap on the floor after she'd opened the door and I just sort of rolled out. Think I'll whip the seat out before I have another go tomorrow

Soldato
My E46 is getting uneconomical to repair so I'm looking at replacements... current choices are:

E46 M3
645/650
Vauxhall Monaro 6.0
Honda S2000
MK2 Toyota MR2

Although I'm also thinking about putting the bulk of the money towards a Spire GTR and sticking with an MR2 or the wifey wants another MX5.

Just import a Pontiac GTO from here, same car, cheap as chips here though.

Soldato
Stage 2 Organic Clutch in the r32, slowly getting there. Down from the two-poster tomorrow and onto finishing/tuning etc

309iv7c.jpg

Permabanned
Just import a Pontiac GTO from here, same car, cheap as chips here though.

From a quick search and with the current dollar exchange rate... they don't appear to be any cheaper there at the moment.

I saw a few examples comparable to the £12k-13k ones over here for $16k-$17k so around the same price and I would lose on the import of course.

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? That was just a quick google search as I'm not too familiar with where to look on your side of the pond.

Of course then he has to put up with LHD. The Monaro, whilst being just as "well built" will be RHD!

That's not a big problem when you live in Switzerland :)

Looks like I'm coming back to the UK in the near future... but I'm not too bothered about left/right hand drive other than the potential extra insurance costs of a LHD import.

I've had 3 MX5... the two UK models were cheap to insure... but the Japan import, despite being RHD - was about 3 times the price just because it was an import :S

Last edited:
Associate
The gearbox had the first fresh oil put inside it since it was in the factory 11 years and 107k miles ago. There is a notable improvement in the feeling of inserting the stick into the gears.

I had the clutch delay valve removed at the same. Improved clutch action has been felt.

Associate
Peeled a four letter NSFW word off the driver's door this evening. Some absolute waste of oxygen had decided to write it on using chewing gum... To his credit it was spelled correctly.

I wasn't even gone 10 minutes!! Didn't have these problems with my battered old focus :p

Back
Top Bottom